Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like meat and hate veggies but I am concerned about the environmental and ethical problems with meat. I wish they would get far enough with vat grown meat tissue to provide some truly tasty alternatives in my lifetime. In the meantime, I will look for beyond burgers at WF and see what the fuss is about.

About 6 years ago I lost about 18% of body weight while staying on my lousy diet. I'm hoping that makes up for the increased risk my avoidance of veggies introduces.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
I've tried both and I like Impossible the best. I only wish they had it available in groceries - they make some noise like that might be an eventuality.

Another one I like that, when available, is only available at Costco is Don Lee Farms Organic Plant Based Burgers. Sadly, when our Costco ran out that was it. Fortunately, I bought a few bags and put them in the freezer.
Agreed. Had the impossible 2.0 at a restaurant and really liked it, but alas, you can't buy it yet in stores.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Agreed. Had the impossible 2.0 at a restaurant and really liked it, but alas, you can't buy it yet in stores.
No wonder I hadn’t found them. Available in lots of restaurants in and around Chicago, but no grocers? Thanks.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
No wonder I hadn’t found them. Available in lots of restaurants in and around Chicago, but no grocers? Thanks.
Yep, only available in restaurants for now. Their website FAQ says that it's coming to stores in 2019 so here's to hoping.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As an engineer I've seen a couple of the fake meat manufacturing processes.

Its like hot dogs. If you watch them made, you won't eat it. I'll eat a hot dog (or maybe even Soylent Green) before I'll eat the abomination (don't remember the brand) I watched.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This thread is NOT intended to proselytize about (not) eating beef. Please start another thread if you’re interested in that discussion.

But for those looking for an alternative to beef burgers, IMO these alternatives are far better than turkey, chicken or black bean burgers in our view - we’ve tried them all. ...
Why do you want to avoid Whole Foods lean ground beef?

If it is because of cancer worries, there was a NY Times article recently that indicated the most risk was with processed meats. I mention this because it made me feel better about eating a Mediterranean diet with some meat included. Here is a quote from this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/w...ype=collection

Quote:
Unprocessed red meat, by comparison, increases cancer risk only at amounts greater than 100 grams a day, and the evidence for that link is limited
On the comparison of the Beyond Meat Burger to animal based beef it looks like the BMB won on saturated fat. That's a win for BMB. I am interested in cutting down on saturated fat.

What about the cost for a Beyond Meat Burger? We shop at Whole Foods hence the interest.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Its like hot dogs. If you watch them made, you won't eat it. I'll eat a hot dog (or maybe even Soylent Green) before I'll eat the abomination (don't remember the brand) I watched.
Fellow engineer here, not sure why that matters? Ever see the workings going on inside a slaughter house?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Have you ever watched real meat processing? Is that less of an abomination?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
I should never read these food threads at lunch time
Old 02-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #29

I should never read these food threads at lunch time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...I have had a few meat-substitute meals. IMO, the best ones are the ones that just try to taste good on their own merits, rather than trying to be something they aren't...

Grilled Portobello mushrooms can be quite 'meaty' tasting though.
+1

I'm an unrepentant lover of bacon cheeseburgers. That said, I also could murder a grilled portobello right now. Mmm!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Fellow engineer here, not sure why that matters? Ever see the workings going on inside a slaughter house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Have you ever watched real meat processing? Is that less of an abomination?
+1000
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
+1

I'm an unrepentant lover of bacon cheeseburgers. That said, I also could murder a grilled portobello right now. Mmm!
I think sometimes a grilled portobello may even taste better than a beef burger.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal
What about the cost for a Beyond Meat Burger? We shop at Whole Foods hence the interest.
At our local grocery store, not discount, BMB are $5.99 for 2 patties. I assume that’s about the same as WF.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #33

I recently had an Impossible Burger as part of a restaurant veggie burger, and I thought it was delicious. Probably the best I'd ever tasted in my many years of eating veggie burgers.

I've also tried Beyond Meat burgers from the grocery store, and I have to say I wasn't highly impressed. They are more expensive than the Prime Grillers burgers from Morningstar Farms, and the taste and texture was only marginally better IMHO.

I am very much looking forward to trying some "cloned meat" products once they're available at retail. The company I have heard most about is called Memphis Meats. https://www.memphismeats.com
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I've also tried Beyond Meat burgers from the grocery store, and I have to say I wasn't highly impressed. They are more expensive than the Prime Grillers burgers from Morningstar Farms, and the taste and texture was only marginally better IMHO.
Not to argue, but I’ve read BMB are sensitive in handling and that can substantially impact the taste. They come frozen and they should be thawed (overnight or quick thaw) and cooked right away (next/same day?). If they’re left thawed for too long or refrozen they can taste awful once cooked I’ve read.

Looking forward to to trying the Morningstar Prime Grillers and IB2’s. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Carl's Junior is selling one of those two burgers. I ordered just the burger and it cost just as much as my wife's value meal. Funny how that is, considering the 15 to 1 ratio to create meat from grains.

As a long-time vegan, it was the best vegan burger I've ever had. I could eat one every day. But if one looks at the ingredients, IMO it's not healthy.

I don't think one could tell the difference between that burger and a regular burger. Again, JMO.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #36

I'll keep with the good old portobello mushroom burger
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I hadn’t looked until now but from a third party. I’m comfortable with our choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Company
We’ve all heard about the benefits of plant-based meat alternatives: reduced cholesterol, less impact on the land, animal-friendly, etc. But in terms of its reportedly environmentally friendly practices, how exactly does it measure up to traditional meat? Beyond Meat–makers of non-GMO meat-free burgers, sausages, and chicken strips–discovered it’s quite substantial.

The team discovered that the Beyond Burger generates 90% less greenhouse gas emissions, requires 46% less energy, and has 99% less impact on water scarcity and 93% less impact on land use than a quarter pound of U.S. beef. That means a 41-square-foot plot of land can produce just one beef burger for every 15 Beyond Burgers.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90241836...pact-stacks-up

Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
...As a long-time vegan, it was the best vegan burger I've ever had... But if one looks at the ingredients, IMO it's not healthy.
Food seems to work that way. If it's absolutely delicious, it's probably not healthy. OK, I'm off to start a thread about healthy food that is delicious. Hope to see some of you there.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I'll keep with the good old portobello mushroom burger
Gay, good point. In fact, I've never thought about having a mushroom burger until this thread. At my $.99 store they always have portobello mushrooms available. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Food seems to work that way. If it's absolutely delicious, it's probably not healthy. OK, I'm off to start a thread about healthy food that is delicious. Hope to see some of you there.
Or we've been indoctrinated that eating healthy foods taste like crap. Being that over 90% of calories eaten is either meat based or refined, doesn't prove that whole foods taste bad.