Join Early Retirement Today

Beyond Meat Burger and Impossible Burger 2.0
Old 02-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beyond Meat Burger and Impossible Burger 2.0

This thread is NOT intended to proselytize about (not) eating beef. Please start another thread if you’re interested in that discussion.

But for those looking for an alternative to beef burgers, IMO these alternatives are far better than turkey, chicken or black bean burgers in our view - we’ve tried them all. These two companies have made it their mission to mimic beef burgers - working only with plant/non meat ingredients. We’ve had the Beyond Meat burgers twice now and I’d be willing to give up beef burgers entirely for them, they’re that good in my view. I haven’t had the Impossible Burger 2.0 yet, but they’ve gotten good reviews too.

They have them at Whole Foods, but even our local grocery store is carrying Beyond Meat Burgers and other products - Beyond Sausage, Beyond Chicken (?), Beyond Crumbles (for chili?). They’re starting to appear in other stores too.

They won’t replace a steak, but for ground beef...

FWIW

https://www.beyondmeat.com

https://impossiblefoods.com

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Looks interesting. The website lists several local grocery stores, so I will give it a try.
Always looking for a meat alternative for DH!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This thread is NOT intended to proselytize about (not) eating beef. Please start another thread if you’re interested in that discussion.

But for those looking for an alternative to beef burgers, IMO these alternatives are far better than turkey, chicken or black bean burgers in our view - we’ve tried them all. These two companies have made it their mission to mimic beef burgers - working only with plant/non meat ingredients. We’ve had the Beyond Meat burgers twice now and I’d be willing to give up beef burgers entirely for them, they’re that good in my view. I haven’t had the Impossible Burger 2.0 yet, but they’ve gotten good reviews too.

They have them at Whole Foods, but even our local grocery store is carrying Beyond Meat Burgers and other products - Beyond Sausage, Beyond Chicken (?), Beyond Crumbles (for chili?). They’re starting to appear in other stores too.

They won’t replace a steak, but for ground beef...

FWIW

https://www.beyondmeat.com

https://impossiblefoods.com
Read what is in it. A number of processed ingredients that good old red meat does not have. Definitely not diet food in that has similar fat and calories as red meat burger. Just eat in moderation and exercise daily is my motto.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had one impossible burger at a restaurant. I was not that impressed over other veggie burgers I've had. However, it may have been that restaurant. I would be willing to try it again.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've seen that at Whole Foods and been tempted to try, but still on sidelines.

How do they compare to beef as far as taste, cooking and appearance?

Curious minds want to know .
Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Read what is in it. A number of processed ingredients that good old red meat does not have. Definitely not diet food in that has similar far and calories as red meat burger. Just eat in moderation and exercise daily is my motto.
As you might imagine, we did read the ingredients before buying. And we weren’t looking for “diet food.” What in the ingredients bothers you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AC9B501A-8B3E-44F3-BA40-E2F5D95E284F.jpeg (695.7 KB, 157 views)

Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've seen that at Whole Foods and been tempted to try, but still on sidelines.

How do they compare to beef as far as taste, cooking and appearance?

Curious minds want to know .
The Beyond Meat Burger was deliberately formulated to mimic beef, it looks and tastes more like a beef burger than any turkey, chicken, bean/vegan alternative we’ve had. I am not saying you’d be fooled into thinking it was beef, just more similar taste/mouth feel than other alternatives.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've never gone out of my way to avoid meat (though I agree it has merits, environmentally), but I have had a few meat-substitute meals. IMO, the best ones are the ones that just try to taste good on their own merits, rather than trying to be something they aren't.

DW makes a type of black-bean burger occasionally. It tastes great, but it's not a beef hamburger, and that's OK. It's good on it's own.

Grilled Portobello mushrooms can be quite 'meaty' tasting though.

If anyone is approaching it from an environmental standpoint (eating vegetables/grains is far more efficient than feeding those to an animal, and eating the animal), I think it makes sense to not go hard-core, and just focus on reducing the meat content on average. So if adding a little meat, or some broth makes the veggie/grain substitute more attractive for you, focus on the greater good.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'll try it.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Beyond Meat Burger was deliberately formulated to mimic beef, it looks and tastes more like a beef burger than any turkey, chicken, bean/vegan alternative we’ve had. I am not saying you’d be fooled into thinking it was beef, just more similar taste/mouth feel than other alternatives.
I may have to try pick up a package just to try next time I go to Whole Foods on an avocado run. I like to get fooled as I'm probably the only person in the world who liked the old McDonald's McLean Deluxe burgers .
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Those are interesting to me. I will check at Whole Foods. I don't eat beef. For burgers I usually order the grilled chicken option which is usually available. But, it would be nice to have an alternative.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
As you might imagine, we did read the ingredients before buying. And we weren’t looking for “diet food.” What in the ingredients bothers you?
No need to get defensive. Processed ingredients that substitutes for the real thing over time is not good for the body. The items of concern of beyond meat burger

Expelled pressed canola oil
Refined coconut oil
Yeast extract ( aka MSG)
Maltodextrin, Succinic Acid, Acetic Acid
Old 02-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Processed ingredients that substitutes for the real thing over time is not good for the body.
Sorry, that's just mistaken.

It's reasonable to decide based on evidence that a particular ingredient isn't "good for the body" or isn't as good as another. But to state this in general terms that all processed ingredients aren't "good for the body" is simply incorrect.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Sorry, that's just mistaken.

It's reasonable to decide based on evidence that a particular ingredient isn't "good for the body" or isn't as good as another. But to state this in general terms that all processed ingredients aren't "good for the body" is simply incorrect.
All are free to express their opinions. Your feedback of simply incorrect is taken. There are a number of articles about the pros and cons of processed ingredients. I just read up on some while running a few miles on the treadmill.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #15

I haven't eaten red meat or poultry since 1976. I don't care for the beyond meat burgers but I really like vegan Boca burgers.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We really don’t care for burgers.

We do eat a lot of meat in non-ground form.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #17

Veghead for over 25 years, I will try it/them but I really don't need a veggie burger to bleed.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Midpack, thanks for sharing. I will look for them at the grocer and certainly give them a try!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:32 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Beef is plant based

And the gmo free should have a ?? On the fruit burger list as it does on the beef. [emoji16]
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #20

I've tried both and I like Impossible the best. I only wish they had it available in groceries - they make some noise like that might be an eventuality.

Another one I like that, when available, is only available at Costco is Don Lee Farms Organic Plant Based Burgers. Sadly, when our Costco ran out that was it. Fortunately, I bought a few bags and put them in the freezer.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote