Join Early Retirement Today

Biases
Old 01-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Biases

I am a big fan of scientists like Richard Thaler, Daniel Kahneman and the late Amos Tversky. Their research covers innate biases that we all have. This chart explains them in a concise way.

Enjoy.
20 cognitive biases that screw up your decisions | Business Insider
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's a good list.

The one that most concerns me is 'Blind Spot Bias". By definition, how can you know you are doing it if you are blind to it? And that bias can lead you down the wrong path.

It's why I try to be open to having my beliefs challenged - if I cant defend them, maybe they are a product of my own bias. I know some people don't like to be challenged in any way, but I don't think they are doing themselves any favors.

Have you read Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow"? Good book IMO, the examples went on and on, but I thought there were some excellent points made.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Thanks. Yes very good list.

Was fun to see Richard Thaler along with Salena Gomez explaining derivatives in 'The Big Short'.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think one of the biggest biases around is that people are biased to think they don't have biases.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

An episode of Through the Wormhole, about bigotry more so than bias, but they discover some interesting things...

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sho...we-all-bigots/

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
gone traveling

Collectively they sound very political to me.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Have you read Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow"? Good book IMO, the examples went on and on, but I thought there were some excellent points made.

-ERD50
Yes, I have. And loved it.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Collectively they sound very political to me.
Please elaborate.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

# 3 "Groupthink" was always a problem where I worked. My fellow administrators would get their panties in a wad when people didn't immediately agree with them... They couldn't understand that consensus and unified front comes after the "devils advocate" scenarios were thrown at them. Just maybe a great idea isn't so great if it can be picked apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
A very brilliant Brit brought this to my/our attention but insisted that we are powerless to do otherwise.

I disagree. Training can change the automatic response. The Army is a prime example. Firefighters as well. We may be robots, but our programming can be changed.

I have changed the way I deal with money and investment (but that doesn't mean I've got it right yet). My British friend was a clueless investor--gambler, actually.

Managers and political leaders often think they know everything already but fall into these traps. They should read this book.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Folks who have lived in 2 or more countries are able to compare different systems, which for the single country person is difficult to even understand.

Yet Nationalism means each country is the best !!
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm impressed by the biaes investors display. It seems that even "experts" have this even though they are undoubtedly aware of investor bias. How else to explain some Boglehead arguments that can go on and on and become personal ... like debating holding commodities as a small part of the portfolio or high yield bonds as a small part of the portfolio. Not that I hold either of these but seeing people get abusive is somewhat disturbing.

Of course, we all have to eventually embrace some investment approach. But why hold it so closely that we feel threatened by discussions of other approaches? Thankfully this forum allows some latitude here. Maybe its the maturity showing through?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I think one of the biggest biases around is that people are biased to think they don't have biases.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm impressed by the biaes investors display. It seems that even "experts" have this even though they are undoubtedly aware of investor bias. How else to explain some Boglehead arguments that can go on and on and become personal ... like debating holding commodities as a small part of the portfolio or high yield bonds as a small part of the portfolio...)
Exactly. Which is why I spend much less time on the BH forum than I ever used to.

Here's an example of what one can expect from "experts" (really?? a so-called expert had these "surprises" upon retirement??):

Retirement Surprises That Surprised Retirement Experts
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have a bias and am totally aware of it. In fact it totally spearheads my investing decisions. It works for me, but not for others I am sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm impressed by the biaes investors display. It seems that even "experts" have this even though they are undoubtedly aware of investor bias. How else to explain some Boglehead arguments that can go on and on and become personal ... like debating holding commodities as a small part of the portfolio or high yield bonds as a small part of the portfolio. Not that I hold either of these but seeing people get abusive is somewhat disturbing.

Of course, we all have to eventually embrace some investment approach. But why hold it so closely that we feel threatened by discussions of other approaches? Thankfully this forum allows some latitude here. Maybe its the maturity showing through?
Even in a secular age, people need their religions very much. They just find them in non-traditional places.

Ha
Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Even in a secular age, people need their religions very much. They just find them in non-traditional places.
Totally agree on this one.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
# 3 "Groupthink" was always a problem where I worked. My fellow administrators would get their panties in a wad when people didn't immediately agree with them... They couldn't understand that consensus and unified front comes after the "devils advocate" scenarios were thrown at them. Just maybe a great idea isn't so great if it can be picked apart.
+1. The best leaders I worked for encouraged alternate views--at the appropriate time. The best staff members took full advantage to effectively sell alternatives and point out pitfalls. And, once the decision was made, they went back and worked hard to make whatever option was chosen succeed. If corrections are needed, they get made.
A guy/gal who goes along with the group and only brings good news to the boss isn't helping anyone--especially the boss.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #18

What is this "boss" that you guys go on about
Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Very perceptive.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote