Join Early Retirement Today

bicycle tune-up
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

bicycle tune-up

Spring is in the air. Just dropped off my bicycle for a tune up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Indeed, today I just completed a demo ride on a 2013 Trek Damone. Spring is in the air, and thoughts of an upgrade to a carbon frame fill my head. I know the bike will make me go faster , it has nothing to do with the motor .

Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

All I've got is a Dahon folding. But it sure is nice to just put that on the back of my small car and off to the shop.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's probably time for a tune up for mine too. I just wore out my first set of tires and replaced them over the winter.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

This is my first tune up since purchase (about 4 years ago). The bad front alignment is the most noticeable. The bicycle shop I brought my bicycle in has a 50% sale on tunes ups (Jan and Feb are slow months). Plus, the shop has high reviews on Yelp. Only $35 for a tune up.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Indeed, today I just completed a demo ride on a 2013 Trek Damone. Spring is in the air, and thoughts of an upgrade to a carbon frame fill my head. I know the bike will make me go faster , it has nothing to do with the motor .

Nice, what did you think? A couple friends are looking at them as we'll.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Indeed, today I just completed a demo ride on a 2013 Trek Damone. .
Madone you mean. Get a carbon fiber frame. it rides so much nicer. I am going to get a steel frame bike this spring though for commuting. It'll replace my aluminum cyclocross with the bad geometry.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
Madone you mean. Get a carbon fiber frame. it rides so much nicer. I am going to get a steel frame bike this spring though for commuting. It'll replace my aluminum cyclocross with the bad geometry.
Agree on carbon but Damone is newest Trek, different from Madone
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

I do my own wrenching. Fun to learn & gives ya confidence you can (usu) handle some emergency repairs out on the road.
FWIW- Did my 1st club ride of the yr last weekend just north of Indy. Pretty typical Feb in Midwest at 40F with 20+mph wind. Great riding 25mph downwind, but rather miserable riding 12mph into rainy 20mph wind
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
Nice, what did you think? A couple friends are looking at them as we'll.
I went out for 26 miles along a route I have been on many times with my Giant aluminum frame. At first, I was unsure if there was an advantage. Then I realized that the road vibration and the bumps I was feeling was through my hands and feet. Very little was transmitted up the stem to the seat (my butt). I then started hitting bumps on purpose. I wouldn't lift up, but just road through them. Amazing! The Damone is quick, responsive (and I am now sounding like a commercial).

Check for yourself at your local LBS. Now, I need to convince my DW that this will be a good investment. Not only for my motivation to keep active, but for my overall physical, and mental health.

Tailwinds!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
All I've got is a Dahon folding. But it sure is nice to just put that on the back of my small car and off to the shop.
How do you like the folding bike? How much do you ride?

Anyone else use folding bikes?

We were thinking of getting a pair so we can take them with us on our road trips. We were thinking it would be easier to take into hotels at night.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
How do you like the folding bike? How much do you ride?

Anyone else use folding bikes?

We were thinking of getting a pair so we can take them with us on our road trips. We were thinking it would be easier to take into hotels at night.
Thanks for asking.

I am quite happy with my folding bike and would much rather have a folding one than not. I don't ride it that much. Mainly, just to run errands when the weather permits. I go a few mile trips here and there, such as getting a hair cut, to the dentist, and especially when I get my car serviced and don't want to have to wait. I just ride my bike home, then have the car place call me, then ride my bike to pick up my car. Also, in the summer, I ride it about 5 miles every couple of days for exercise.

My folding bike only has 16 inch wheels but for me, it is not uncomfortable and I actually like the smaller sized wheels as I think that is easier to control. Also, I get a kick sometimes when I ride dark a park and kids yell out "Cool bike!" which usually happens a few times each summer.

I don't fold the bike much as I have the seat post to a certain height and don't want to have to re-position that each time. Plus, the bike weighs about 30lbs. But the portability is nice as when I do fold it, I fold the handle bar down, then put the bicycle on the back seat area of my small car. If I folded the bike all they way, it does fit in my trunk.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Tried my father-in-law's folding bicycle while visiting. Good for a mile or two, but beyond that it became unwieldy and unpleasant. He got it for all the right reasons, and has never really used it because it doesn't properly serve it's intended use. If space is a premium . . . I'd still try to come up with some other option.

On that note, I am looking forward to my first ride (on a full size bicycle) in a long time tomorrow morning. Hopefully 20 miles or so. I'm pretty sure it will require a chain lube and other adjustments when I return. And then many Spring miles to follow.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #14

You got me searching and salivating over those Treks. But I'm just too LBYM and the price scares the stuffing out of me!

I'm still more of a fitness guy just trying to get the heart going, so I have a very modest 7 year od (and way affordable) Giant hybrid.

However, as I near my ER, I think I will make an investment sometime in the next few years. I'd like to ramp up my riding and enter some of the longer charity events. A lighter bike would sure be much more of a joy.

Spring fever is hitting me now. I can dream, no?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I can relate. I started with a low end Trek hybrid, 15 years ago for exercise. I put so many mikes on it, the bottom bracket wore out. The LBS said the bike wasn't made for the long miles I was doing. I upgraded to my Giant aluminum frame. That was 7 years ago. I now have over 20K on this one. As I track all of my yearly expenses, maintenance costs are increasing each year. I am facing the potential of about 500 in costs this spring (new cranks, new seat, repack/replace bottom bracket, new cables). I began looking at the new Treks as a way to ease the use of the Giant, and thus allowing me to put the repair costs towards a new ride. (that's my rationale and I am sticking to it).

Cycling for me is becoming a life style. I usually schedule one multi-day, 500 mile ride each year. The training it takes for these long rides, not only keeps me in shape, but it keeps me motivated to stay active throughout the year. Especially on the days when all you would rather do is sleep in, or sit on the couch.

You don't quit cycling because you grow old. You grow old because you quit cycling
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What does a bicycle tune up consist of? I mean beyond the obvious points, condenser and spark plugs?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What does a bicycle tune up consist of? I mean beyond the obvious points, condenser and spark plugs?
Plus a new playing card and clothes pin.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget the handlebar streamers!!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #19

Had one of these back in the early 80s with the Campy components, it was a great racing bike, but I traded it in on a more comfy Trek mountain bike about 10 years ago. I also had a set of rollers for riding indoors in bad weather which is very good for learning to ride with balance.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I just got back from picking up my tuned up bicycle. Haven't given it a ride (too cold out) but I like the work. Going backwards now makes no noise as the chain is nice a lubed and I barely have to press the brakes for that to engage. Spring will be fun.