Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a classic Schwinn Hollywood coaster bike...like the one Jessica Fletcher rode in Murder, She Wrote. I even have a wicker basket. It is not particularly light weight. I flop the seats down in my old Land Cruiser and drag it in through the back in order to transport it to a rail trail.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I started road biking about 10 years ago. A few years later I fell in with the wrong crowd and got involved in long-distance cycling, especially a type of long-distance cycling called randonneuring, where otherwise sane people go off on unsupported rides ("brevets") of 200 kilometers or more.

I was also planning to ride a double century (yep, 200 miles) to celebrate my 50th birthday back in October 2009 -- the Solvang Fall Double Century for those of you who know of these things.

Unfortunately, while I was training for it I had a bad solo crash, five years ago this month. It took several months, but luckily I healed up completely and I was riding again, although I did a much shorter ride on my 50th birthday than I had originally planned!

I still ride a lot, but I've lost interest in the long-distance stuff, at least for the time being. My husband also rides, and we often load our bikes in the car when we go on trips. In fact, we're heading down to Pacific Grove/Monterey in a couple of days and we plan to bike along the 17 Mile Drive.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Triathlon bikes. Really cuts the power needed to go fast...or far. Convinced that investing in one of these bad boys helped me finish my 1st (& only!) ironman triathlon a couple yrs ago.

We had an Iron man race that passed by my house. I enjoyed taking pictures of them. Most didn't look like they were having much fun at the time.
I find riding bicycles on the road too dangerous, so I ride the safer blue one.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1395103520.549686.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1395103556.958020.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1395103809.487328.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1395103852.740693.jpg
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
In fact, we're heading down to Pacific Grove/Monterey in a couple of days and we plan to bike along the 17 Mile Drive.
Green with envy
Arguably the most beautiful ride anywhere... Just one time, when I was still employed, long ago in 1985... Etched in memory. The next day, went on a fishing boat that anchored off Pebble Beach during a tourney.

Enjoy!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My 1978 Motobecane Super Mirage... file pic, but mine looks just as good...
Another $5 purchase, but $5 of steel wool and $5 rust remover, to get it that way. I really like this bike... Frame is solid and a wonderful ride.
I've got a Mirage that I bought new in 1974. Still riding it!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I like bikes and bicycles, more bicycles these days. I'm in the market for a new bicycle and maybe someone here can help recommend one. I'm interested in a hybrid type but with drop bars if possible. I do mainly road or paved bike trails and prefer the speed of a road bike but would like to be able to ride on hard dirt or gravel. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at a Trek Crossrip or the flat bar FX.
Cyclocross bikes might meet your needs. They are similar to road bikes but with a higher bottom bracket and can handle wider tires - 700x32 being typical. Another option would be touring bikes but they don't tend to sell off the rack with STI shifters (in the brake handles) which I like and are standard on cyclocross bikes. DW and I recently had custom steel sport touring bikes built for us (kind of light touring frames) with 28cm tires. They are great on roads or packed gravel trails. We love them.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Cyclocross bikes might meet your needs. They are similar to road bikes but with a higher bottom bracket and can handle wider tires - 700x32 being typical. Another option would be touring bikes but they don't tend to sell off the rack with STI shifters (in the brake handles) which I like and are standard on cyclocross bikes.
+1, Don beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW and I recently had custom steel sport touring bikes built for us (kind of light touring frames) with 28cm tires. They are great on roads or packed gravel trails. We love them.
Oooh whadja get?

I have a steel touring bike, a Bleriot by Rivendell. My other bike is a custom Ti Lynskey, I named that bike Midlife Crisis
Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
+1, Don beat me to it.

Oooh whadja get?

I have a steel touring bike, a Bleriot by Rivendell. My other bike is a custom Ti Lynskey, I named that bike Midlife Crisis
Ours are steel frames with carbon forks built be Kelly Bedfort. We got S&S couplers so we can break them down and pack them for flights to DW's brother's house in Sonoma. I don't have good pictures since I am not home but I do have a shot of Mine in a suitcase on my iPad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (606.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I didn't see a mention of folding bicycles on the list, so thought I'd put a shout out to that. I own a Dahon 16 inch folder that is used for getting around town to run short errands and go a few miles for some exercise. In fact, just got the bicycle tuned up about a week ago so when spring finally arrives, I'll get a chance to put it to use this year.
Taking a crack at the folding bike plan, bought my wife a citizen bike folder-upper for Christmas, still have snow and ice here so will be another month before we get it out to test it out. If we like it I'll probably buy her a nicer lighter one and keep the heavy steel beast for me hoping to be able to throw both in the back of an SUV in a few years at ER and travel the back roads.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #30

My favorite and most comfortable bike is my 1991 Offroad Pro-Flex 352 which was designed by Bob Girvan, and arguably the first full suspension off road bike. I had to be a limited edition, as there were only 300 made.
29 lbs a little heavy, but relatively light for the times.
elastomer suspension.... IMHO, the front Girvan handlebar suspension is more comfortable than any I have ever tried. The rear suspension is also elastomer.
The geometrics of the rear suspension were such that the chain can be replaced without using a master link. Chainstays built on a swivel
Now here's an oddity as far as I know... The chainwheel had very sharp gear teeth, which I assumed came from using the wrong sized chain. The other part that puzzled me was that the chain wheel was oval... Duh? The guy at the bike shop told me it was uneven wear, so I replaced the whole part, crankset and all. (about 50 individual spacers, nuts, bolts washers etc.)
Later, I found out the teeth and the oval wheel were part of the exploratory design... More presure on the downward pedal stroke. Alas... the original went to the trash.
Much of the story about Girvan and Proflex is here...
MOMBAT: Proflex and Girvin Cycles History
The model shown is the 1991... Mine must be a 1991 1/2 and the model 352 seems to have been skipped for advertising purposes.
Bike history is interesting and fun, because it's a story in progress.
(open the pic in a new window to read the story)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1090ProFlex1.jpg (333.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #31

Quote:
I had to be a limited edition
No way. I think you're one of a kind.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had a Bike Friday New World Tourist, a high-quality folder designed for touring, for over 10 years. I've toured on it a lot in various countries throughout the world, as well as commuted on it. In those days before ER, commuting was my most pleasurable part of the day. These days, I tend to ride my bike a bit more each year than I drive in my car. I do more errands by bike than by car, and I've got a very nice rail-trail near my home.

In a couple of months, a friend (who also has a Bike Friday) and I will go on a milestone birthday trip to France. He wants to ride over a couple of classic Tour de France mountain passes. (Personally, I think the TdF is a farce, but I like riding over mountain passes.) We'll be riding in a couple of other regions, as well.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #33

sittin' on top of the world

* This is an old Nike missile site in the hills above my house. Nice place to stop for a drink of water on a clear day.

* The trail home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0971.jpg (942.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0988.jpg (915.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #34

OMG.... The thought of riding the Tour de France, or that Nike mountain is frightening. While I love riding, hills and me, don't agree. Maybe some years ago... but...

In Florida, the Withlacootchie Trail... 46 miles, all paved and mostly flat and shaded. Beautiful.
Withlacoochee Trail State Park
Here's where most of my IL riding takes place, now... 43 miles of roads, and 17 miles of trails. Map looks crowded, but so heavily wooded, about 90% shade in the summer. Hilly, but small hills. My riding has gone down to about 10 mi./day. Thinking that eventually I might spring for electric motor assist.
Attached Images
File Type: png viewer.png (158.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #35

Quote:
My favorite and most comfortable bike is my 1991 Offroad Pro-Flex 352 which was designed by Bob Girvan, and arguably the first full suspension off road bike.
I attended an early 1980's Interbike trade show with a 1940's era Bianchi military paratrooper bike on display to remind everyone of the long and storied history of bicycles. It had front and rear suspension, a monostay rear, unicrown fork, cam actuated brake, oh and it folded. The history goes back to 1911 -

Bianchi Military Folding Bicycle ‘Model 1912′ | The BSA & Military Bicycle Museum

A circa 1914 image -

Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #36

The circa 1914 image did not post. 2nd try -
Sorry, for some reason it will not post.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #37

great website...
Imagine 2012... front shocks (spring on left side of fork, hydraulic cylinder on right side)... and the Bianchi design overall... 100 yrs before its' time. 27 inch wheels.. and solid tryes for the infantryman, but pneumatic for the officers.
The history going back to 1876 with the bicycle as a military weapon/vehicle is very impressive... Had no idea!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The history going back to 1876 with the bicycle as a military weapon/vehicle is very impressive... Had no idea!!!
And everyone made fun of the threadbare 1912 US Army soldiers drilling with broomsticks instead of rifles. Now it all makes sense--the broomsticks were to jam into the spokes of the advancing bicycle shock troops.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
great website...
Imagine 2012... front shocks (spring on left side of fork, hydraulic cylinder on right side)... and the Bianchi design overall... 100 yrs before its' time. 27 inch wheels.. and solid tryes for the infantryman, but pneumatic for the officers.
If you're ever in the northern SF Bay Area or Sacramento, the US Bicycle Hall of Fame in Davis is a fun & informative stop. They have very limited hours & I never managed to be there while it was open, until last month. Neat-o!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
We had an Iron man race that passed by my house. .... Most didn't look like they were having much fun at the time.....
Not surprising. Like most endurance athletes, long course triathletes are somewhat masochistic. It only hurts until the endorphins kick in