Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2016, 03:07 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a "recreational biker", and usually only ride 12-20 miles a week. Schwinn crossover I bought used in 1997 ($150), and have only replaced tubes and tires. Have a Diamond Back mtn. bike at the snow bird condo. Prefer the Schwinn.
DW and I downsized at semi-ret. to a small community where we can walk and bike to restaurants, library, PO, etc. As a result, we are down to one car now. I figure that saves about $300-400 mo. in depreciation, repairs, gas, etc. Should have moved sooner.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I don't use a mirror I do it the old fashion way by looking behind me but I thought those ones like this would be best for me. The helmet mount just seems to get in the way though I know a lot of people use them.
The helmet mount took me a little while to get used to, since when properly positioned the mirror is sort of in my line of sight. But the upside is that I can see behind me without moving my head, and after a couple rides I didn't even really notice the mirror any more when I wasn't focusing on it.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Just got back from a bike/barge trip along The Moselle. 8 days. Great experience with VBT!

Because of problems with my tendons, I have not been biking like normal every day but I intend to resume now.
I have been on 11 VBT bike trips and loved them all. Pricey but a good deal compared with their competitors.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
The helmet mount took me a little while to get used to, since when properly positioned the mirror is sort of in my line of sight. But the upside is that I can see behind me without moving my head, and after a couple rides I didn't even really notice the mirror any more when I wasn't focusing on it.
DW and I use helmet mount mirrors. A friend makes them from old bike spokes and mirror pieces. They take a little getting used to but are great once you do.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #65

Do you bike? Yes
How often? As frequently as motivation and weather allow. Usually 2 or 3 times a week.
Road, path or trail... cross country? Bicycle / walking trails mostly. Maybe there are some parts of the world where riding in traffic on the street is appropriate, but to my perception that's both extremely dangerous and inconsiderate.
Length of ride? Usually 14 miles per outing. Sometimes a little less, and sometimes more than 20.
Part of a group? Rarely
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. I bought a used mountain bike that was a little too small. Then I bought a new 29" Diamondback mountain bike, and now I ride a used Jamis MB that was gifted to me.
Been biking since Expect to bike until
Since before this photo was taken and until I can't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Bicycle.jpg (250.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #66

In addition to peddling a bike (200k + lifetime miles), I have long been interested in the design/construction aspect of them. This recent article in journal Nature, focused on bike steering/stability, is worthwhile reading in that respect -

The bicycle problem that nearly broke mathematics : Nature News & Comment
Old 07-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
In addition to peddling a bike (200k + lifetime miles), I have long been interested in the design/construction aspect of them. This recent article in journal Nature, focused on bike steering/stability, is worthwhile reading in that respect -

The bicycle problem that nearly broke mathematics : Nature News & Comment
While i admit the article was a little over my head, I, too, have also been interested in bike construction and design.
I have one of Bob Girvin's original mountain bikes... the first one designed with both a front and rear elastomer suspension... The model is a 452 OpenRoad... a limited 1990 edition that was the precursor of the Proflex 453. Proflex was later bought out and became K2.

Here's an early review of what was then, the cutting edge of offroad bikes.
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/ProFlex-
Girvin.html

FWIW, it's an easy ride and very stable. The hands off ride in your article works pretty well in my OffRoad.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
FWIW, it's an easy ride and very stable. The hands off ride in your article works pretty well in my OffRoad.
Now you've done it - the calculations are assuming a rigid frame. Adding suspension introduces variable trail into the mix, looks like they have more work to do.

Kidding aside, yea the Girvin Flexstem paired with an Allsop softride beam was the hot ride for awhile - suspend the rider, not the bike.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Do you bike? Yes
How often? As frequently as motivation and weather allow. Usually 2 or 3 times a week.
Road, path or trail... cross country? Bicycle / walking trails mostly. Maybe there are some parts of the world where riding in traffic on the street is appropriate, but to my perception that's both extremely dangerous and inconsiderate.
Length of ride? Usually 14 miles per outing. Sometimes a little less, and sometimes more than 20.
Part of a group? Rarely
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. I bought a used mountain bike that was a little too small. Then I bought a new 29" Diamondback mountain bike, and now I ride a used Jamis MB that was gifted to me.
Been biking since Expect to bike until
Since before this photo was taken and until I can't.
Agree on the bolded part. I see people riding on heavily traveled roads all the time around here. It's legal but I'm not doing it. My biking is limited to hiking/biking trails. Good pic btw. I rode a bike back in my kiddie days like most. Probably stopped around 16 and picked it up again 43 years later.