Join Early Retirement Today

Re: "BIG 4-0"BIG 5-0"huh?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
To the runners and the MD's:
I'm between the big-four-o and the big-five-oh.
Is it too late to start running, i.e., would I be prone to more injuries than if I had started running years ago?
I am 5'3" and 130; I don't know my waistline but I am roll-ish around the middle.
Course not. Just have to go gradually. Lots of good books at your local bookstore. Officially over age 35 or 40 you should see your doctor first, but often if you are not aware of any problems or worrisome family history, he/she will probably not do much.

One tip: get a pulse monitor and read the instructions about target heart rates. I am a big fan of this both for conditioning as well as safety. It gets your focus off of ever-increasing distance and time which thereby reduces injuries.

Enjoy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you, Rich!

I will go slowly and try to monitor my heart rate.* I'll wait, too, until after this heat wave.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A good way to start is walk-run; i.e jog for a bit, walk for a bit, ad infinitum...

Build slowly. Get good running shoes!! Keep good form.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #24

I've been advised by doctors and by reading health articles that power walking does every bit as good as running and less wear and tear on the joints. It's the cardio-vascular workout that is the key objective.

I try to do some power walking each day, but not enough of it yet. Have to get into a better routine soon. I would never try to jog/run, especially now with a bad back.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #25

Flipstress,

One key to injury prevention is getting the right shoe.* Running shoes are generally classified as cushion, stability or motion control shoes.* Cushion and motion control are on the ends of the spectrum and stability is in the middle.* The type of shoe that you need depends on your running mechanics.

If a cushion shoe is optimum for your for example but you are running in a motion control shoe there is a much better chance of injury.

If you are biomechanically efficient you may be able to get away with any shoe but if you have defects in your stride the shoe is more important.

In general you get what you pay for but a cheap shoe that is matched to your running mechanics is better than an expensive shoe that isn't.

There are several self tests that you can do to determine what type of shoe is best but for a beginner it is to ask around and find a good running shoe store.* A good store will ask you about your running?* How many miles/week?* Previous shoes, etc?* Tell them that you need help determining the type of show that you need.* They should find a shoe that fits and then take you outside and have you run up and down the street or something similar so that they can evaluate your stride mechanics.

On finding a running shoe store:

(1) I have never found a good running shoe store located in an enclosed mall.
(2) If you ask what kind of shoe it is and the say "Nike" or worse yet "red" just turn around and walk away.
(3) Go to a specialty running shoe stores.* Tri shops are also usually very good.* Triathletes compare notes alot and if they're not good they don't last long.* Both are much better than general sporting goods stores and department stores are the worst.
(4) The best running shoe stores tend to hire runners.
(5) Ask a local runner about the shops near you.

Road Runner Sports (a mail order place) has a pretty good catalog that describes shoe types and some of the self tests.* They probably have the info on line but I have never looked.* If I'm getting a new model of shoe I will typically go to a running shoe store to try it on etc. and buy at least the first pair from them but after that I will usually buy mail order.* Save $10-20/pair.

There is a lot of advice in the magazines and books on how to start running and what you should do to prevent injuries.* Some have plans in table form, etc.* Some of the more common advice is below:

(1)* Start with one or two days a week and* only a mile or two or whatever you feel comfortable with.* Walk if you want to.* Nothing wrong with that.* Run/walk/run programs have become very popular for beginnners and have even been used by marathoners and ultramarathoners.* I have heard of guys doing 100 mile races where they stopped and walked for a minute or two every 10 minutes or so and set personal records.
(2) Don't go so fast and so far that you are exhausted and do not enjoy it.* If it isn't fun you aren't going to keep it up.* Don't make it a job.
(3) Don't increase mileage by more than 10% a week.
(4) Every fourth week decrease your mileage by 50% and let your body rest.* (The next week you can go up to the same mileage as the previous week.)
(5) If something hurts rest.* (I have a real hard time following this one.)
(6) Cross train.* Mix up running with swimming, biking, roller blading, kayaking, cross country skiing, tennis, b-ball or what ever it is that you like to do.

Sorry this is probably way more information than you wanted but you hit on a favorite topic.

Good luck,

MB*
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

34 (years old), 5'11", 157lbs, work out 6 days a week, and still chasin the ladies.* * 8)

I would give up on FIRE before i'd give up on my body.* I only get one of these and i ain't screwing it up if i can help it.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
Flipstress,

One key to injury prevention is getting the right shoe. Running shoes are generally classified as cushion, stability or motion control shoes. Cushion and motion control are on the ends of the spectrum and stability is in the middle. The type of shoe that you need depends on your running mechanics.

If a cushion shoe is optimum for your for example but you are running in a motion control shoe there is a much better chance of injury.

If you are biomechanically efficient you may be able to get away with any shoe but if you have defects in your stride the shoe is more important.

In general you get what you pay for but a cheap shoe that is matched to your running mechanics is better than an expensive shoe that isn't.

There are several self tests that you can do to determine what type of shoe is best but for a beginner it is to ask around and find a good running shoe store. A good store will ask you about your running? How many miles/week? Previous shoes, etc? Tell them that you need help determining the type of show that you need. They should find a shoe that fits and then take you outside and have you run up and down the street or something similar so that they can evaluate your stride mechanics.

On finding a running shoe store:

(1) I have never found a good running shoe store located in an enclosed mall.
(2) If you ask what kind of shoe it is and the say "Nike" or worse yet "red" just turn around and walk away.
(3) Go to a specialty running shoe stores. Tri shops are also usually very good. Triathletes compare notes alot and if they're not good they don't last long. Both are much better than general sporting goods stores and department stores are the worst.
(4) The best running shoe stores tend to hire runners.
(5) Ask a local runner about the shops near you.

Road Runner Sports (a mail order place) has a pretty good catalog that describes shoe types and some of the self tests. They probably have the info on line but I have never looked. If I'm getting a new model of shoe I will typically go to a running shoe store to try it on etc. and buy at least the first pair from them but after that I will usually buy mail order. Save $10-20/pair.

There is a lot of advice in the magazines and books on how to start running and what you should do to prevent injuries. Some have plans in table form, etc. Some of the more common advice is below:

(1) Start with one or two days a week and only a mile or two or whatever you feel comfortable with. Walk if you want to. Nothing wrong with that. Run/walk/run programs have become very popular for beginnners and have even been used by marathoners and ultramarathoners. I have heard of guys doing 100 mile races where they stopped and walked for a minute or two every 10 minutes or so and set personal records.
(2) Don't go so fast and so far that you are exhausted and do not enjoy it. If it isn't fun you aren't going to keep it up. Don't make it a job.
(3) Don't increase mileage by more than 10% a week.
(4) Every fourth week decrease your mileage by 50% and let your body rest. (The next week you can go up to the same mileage as the previous week.)
(5) If something hurts rest. (I have a real hard time following this one.)
(6) Cross train. Mix up running with swimming, biking, roller blading, kayaking, cross country skiing, tennis, b-ball or what ever it is that you like to do.

Sorry this is probably way more information than you wanted but you hit on a favorite topic.

Good luck,

MB
Excellent advice, Road Runner has stores in certain cities (like my town of San Diego) and is a great place to be fitted for a shoe. I overpronate so I wear a serious motion control shoe (it's a Brooks, they nicknamed it "the beast" - I guess because it's for big fat people with big feet, size 13). Can't stress enough how important good shoes are, before I had them I just thought I couldn't run.

Training for triathlons is a great way to mix it up, I'm doing my 4th August 19th on the local Marine base. Sprint distance triathlons are enough of a challenge and variety to keep it interesting, but aren't long enough to kill ya!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #28

For walking/running shoes. DW and I goto a place called Fleet Feet. Not sure if its just a CA store or not. I had Plantar Fasciitis they got me setup with shoes that took care of my problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

36, 6'1", 165lbs, waist 32

When I was really watching what I ate, and exercising hard I was at 155, but everyone said I looked like a chemo patient...and they were right. So I've backed off on watching what I eat so much.

You guys are running some great 5 and 10K times! My best time so far (mile/pace-wise) was a 5 miler a few weeks ago at 38:47. Running definitely helps me keep feeling young.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa, in high school I was 6'2", 165 lbs and a 30 inch waist, and everybody said I was going to fall between the sidewalk cracks! You will not be going on lipitor anytime soon, my friend!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash
How much do you charge for the secret recipe?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
I've been advised by doctors and by reading health articles that power walking does every bit as good as running and less wear and tear on the joints. It's the cardio-vascular workout that is the key objective.
That is accurate information. Virtually all the health benefits accrue with brisk walking.

We walk the big dog for 3 miles every other day, and I job 2-3x per week in between. Main thing is to get off your butt and do something 30 minutes a day if your only goal is general fitness.

I jog for two reasons: first, I like it - the exertion, the high, and all that, and second, in the same amount of time I can burn a lot more calories when I'm in weight-losing mode than I could walking (16 min pace with the DW versus 10 minute mile jog on my own). One other thing: when we recreate, it is often pretty rigorous - hiking, hill-walking and such. Nice to know I have done many more strenuous things regularly at home rather than discover an unknown problem while climbing the Matterhorn.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I job 2-3x per week
Or at least that's what you subconscious would like you to beleive!*
Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Or at least that's what you subconscious would like you to beleive!

Like Al says, Freudian slip, but this time it's not about my mother.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash
52, 6'0", 188lbs, waist 36*

See what you got to look forward to.*
Old 08-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #36

I'm coming up on the big 6-0. I'm 5' 11' and weigh 182. I exercise regularly. Walk 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week and swim .75 to 1.0 mile 3 times a week. Still have "love handles" and 36" waist. I'm on meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Exercise is not a cure all but is a great stress reliever for me. Oh well!

Grumpy
Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #37

Quote:
I'm coming up on the big 6-0. I'm 5' 11' and weigh 182. I exercise regularly. Walk 3 to 4 miles 3 times a week and swim .75 to 1.0 mile 3 times a week. Still have "love handles" and 36" waist. I'm on meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Exercise is not a cure all but is a great stress reliever for me. Oh well! Grumpy
That's right. Exercise only has minor influence around the fringes. people get fooled or fool themselves into thinking their exeise is keeping them healthy but 90% of the time it's the fact they are naturally healthy and that allows them to keep up all the exercise.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, well, weight control is directly related to health, and exercise is a key ingredient of weight control, and I believe there have been numerous studies that seniors are healthier when they exercise. Are you disputing causality?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Hmmm, well, weight control is directly related to health, and exercise is a key ingredient of weight control, and I believe there have been numerous studies that seniors are healthier when they exercise. Are you disputing causality?
You watch too much TV. Didn't read what I said. Just spoutin what the Boss tells you to. Too bad
Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
That's right. Exercise only has minor influence around the fringes.* people get fooled or fool themselves into thinking their exeise is keeping them healthy but 90% of the time it's the fact they are naturally healthy and that allows them to keep up all the exercise.
So, Razz, now that you're done attacking the questioner, do you have any studies or other data to back up that assertion?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote