Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought you were pregnant.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I thought you were pregnant.
Oh Lord no!!! I think that was removed from the realm of possibilities for us, a few years ago... thank goodness! But bless your heart for thinking there was even a remote possibility that I could be that young.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was going to say "whatever floats your boat" but maybe that isn't a good thing to say to a NOLA resident. Anyway, enjoy.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am looking forward to living like a human being for a change, instead of living in an unrealistically pristine home while trying to sell.
Man! If we ever sell our home, the only way for us to do it is to leave and to show it vacant. Just too much hassle otherwise.

And about stayin', did I read somewhere that most people just retire in place? I have also been thinking I am going to die here in my current home that we have had for 23 years.

Still, I am going to keep my screen name. I will be NW-bound frequently in my motor home anyway, so it is not going to be "false advertising".
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I was going to say "whatever floats your boat" but maybe that isn't a good thing to say to a NOLA resident. Anyway, enjoy.
Probably not! A 65+ year old sedentary lawyer friend of ours barely escaped with his life after Katrina by paddling a long way to safety over 10+ foot deep, debris clogged, oily floodwaters in the kayak that he had purchased for exercise. After hearing his frightful story we have often wondered if maybe we should take up kayaking, but didn't since we were going to move. Now? Who knows... maybe at some point we will have a boat to float.

Thanks, we will.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Leave your PJs on the floor and some dishes in the sink tomorrow!!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having lived in Missouri, and now living in NOLA, I think cooler heads have prevailed, and I am certain that your life will be far more enriched than had you moved. I know you guys thought about it a lot, but for me it's a no-brainer. Now go get some king cake!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #28

W2R, I won't even attemp to top TromboneAl's comment but I did want to congratulate you and Frank for deciding to stay. Now ya'll can get back to just enjoying each day. You can't get a good bowl of Gumbo and a Po Boy up north unless you bring it yourself.
If you get to missing Missouri, just get into that Venza and get on up there for a visit anytime you want to.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Man! If we ever sell our home, the only way for us to do it is to leave and to show it vacant. Just too much hassle otherwise.
We did it in true LBYM spirit, after checking out how much it costs to rent an apartment plus all the auxiliary costs of doing so. You're right - - living in a home that is for sale is no picnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
And about stayin', did I read somewhere that most people just retire in place? I have also been thinking I am going to die here in my current home that we have had for 23 years.

Still, I am going to keep my screen name. I will be NW-bound frequently in my motor home anyway, so it is not going to be "false advertising".
Sounds reasonable to me! Besides, if you are happy in your current home, why move? You can always visit the NW in your motor home, as often as you please.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
Leave your PJs on the floor and some dishes in the sink tomorrow!!
Sounds divine! I haven't relaxed quite that much yet, but it's coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Having lived in Missouri, and now living in NOLA, I think cooler heads have prevailed, and I am certain that your life will be far more enriched than had you moved. I know you guys thought about it a lot, but for me it's a no-brainer. Now go get some king cake!
But, but, I'm on Weight Watchers! I lost 12 pounds in January. I guess that in true Weight Watchers style, I can cut a sliver of King cake and just eat that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
W2R, I won't even attemp to top TromboneAl's comment but I did want to congratulate you and Frank for deciding to stay. Now ya'll can get back to just enjoying each day. You can't get a good bowl of Gumbo and a Po Boy up north unless you bring it yourself.
If you get to missing Missouri, just get into that Venza and get on up there for a visit anytime you want to.
Thank you! Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully we won't have to go there again for hurricane evacuations any time soon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, time to kick back and have some fun.

Once, a young monk was sent forth from the monastery to carry a message to another monastery far away. As he walked through the dense forest, he caught glimpses of orange fur in the dappled shade and heard low growls. Surmising that he was being stalked by a tiger, he quickened his steps, but the large cat easily kept pace with him. Fear gnawed at the young monk, and he began to run blindly through the trees, leaving the path he knew in an attempt to outdistance the hungry cat whose panting breath he could feel upon his neck.
The monk lost his way, and to his terror, found himself at the edge of a great precipice. Behind him, he heard the tiger stop, and begin pacing back and forth among the trees, its golden eyes glinting among the leaves. Shaking, the monk looked down and saw that there were vines clambering over the jagged rocks and he determined to try and climb down them. Just as he swung himself over the cliff, and began clambering down the vines which creaked under his weight, he heard the tiger roar, and saw it stare balefully down at him from above.
From below cane an answering roar, and the monk startled and looked down to see a second tiger, pacing along the stones that lined the bottom of the cliff face, waiting for him to descend.
Shuddering, the young monk closed his eyes and clung to the vine, his only means of support. The sound of nibbling teeth caught his attention and he opened his eyes to see a mouse chewing at the vine that held him suspended between the hungry cats.
Next to the mouse, he saw a flash of red.
A wild strawberry grew in a crevice of the stone, and a lone fruit shone invitingly.
The monk reached out, and plucking the crimson fruit, held it to his nose. The sweet fragrance rushed into his nostrils as the last bit of the vine gave way and the monk began to fall. As he plummeted toward the tiger, the monk popped the strawberry in his mouth, and the flavor was the sweetest thing he had ever experienced.

+++
The decision has been made. Enjoy
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
As he plummeted toward the tiger, the monk popped the strawberry in his mouth, and the flavor was the sweetest thing he had ever experienced.

+++
The decision has been made. Enjoy
Hopefully we are not plummeting towards tigers (or hurricanes, or other calamities). But if we are, we'll remember the strawberries.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #33

I'm glad you decided that you were best off right where you are before you packed and moved rather than after.

How long were your houses on the market? Did you have any offers?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm glad you decided that you were best off right where you are before you packed and moved rather than after.

How long were your houses on the market? Did you have any offers?
Well, we had packed most of our remaining things but hadn't moved (it is all stacked neatly in obscure corners and closets). And, we had donated or thrown out probably 2/3rds of our stuff, which is probably why F. was expecting me to be furious with him for this. But I know he didn't do it on purpose. The housing market here is abysmal, which surely contributed to his decision to stay put.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #35

I would stay for the food! But hey, you have other, more pressing considerations.

Muffulletta? Good muffulettas are difficult to find; The latest lead is Jimmy's Food Store on Bryan in Dallas. We went there on a Saturday afternoon recently and could not find a place to park. It must be good. We are going to try it again sometime. Jimmy's Food Store- Dallas, Texas

If anybody else has had a really good muffuleatta in DFW we would like your opinion. Jason's is OK but does not come close to "top shelf".
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
People in the military sometimes encounter a similar situation.
Once I was about due for a PCS (permanent change of station), and I had my new assignment all lined up. I was really looking forward to it, despite the huge disruption.

About 45 days before the move, I got a message from the powers that be, informing me that instead of going to location A, I would be going to location B, about 2,000 miles distant from A.

I was upset and annoyed, but I got over it and started looking forward to location B. As it turned out, I was very happy with the change, and everything worked out for the best.

I suspect that, with your great attitude, you'll be happy too.

Now get back to work on that Mardi Gras costume!
I read a study somewhere that the single greatest determinant to happiness is flexibility.

W2R, Sounds like not only are you going to be saving the hassle of a big move, but you have exhibited plenty of the attribute that bodes well for happiness!

(continue to) Enjoy the Big Easy!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
(snip) Places have spirits, and people have spirits and over time our spirits either grow entwined with the spirit of our home, or come to strongly reject it. I think those who vibrate with the spirit of their place are usually wise to give in to this, because whatever people like to say about wherever you are, you are there, etc, etc, some of us are much more content and more able to live joyously in some particular place. Just like one lover or spouse is not interchangeable with another, neither is one home city interchangeable with another. In particular, ports are different from non-ports.
I'll have what Ha's having...

Anyway....W2R seems you're happy with the decision. Party on...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hopefully we are not plummeting towards tigers (or hurricanes, or other calamities). But if we are, we'll remember the strawberries.
Past - tiger at top
Future - tiger at bottom
Fears - mouse
Falling - now

Don't let any of them steal the happiness of the now.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I would stay for the food! But hey, you have other, more pressing considerations.

Muffulletta? Good muffulettas are difficult to find; The latest lead is Jimmy's Food Store on Bryan in Dallas. We went there on a Saturday afternoon recently and could not find a place to park. It must be good. We are going to try it again sometime. Jimmy's Food Store- Dallas, Texas

If anybody else has had a really good muffuleatta in DFW we would like your opinion. Jason's is OK but does not come close to "top shelf".
What is more pressing than food? We love the muffulettas at Frank's Deli on Decatur in the Quarter (right next door to Central Grocery, which is so famous for them). No, that is not named after my dear friend Frank... Some day I will eat nothing all day and F. and I can go split half a muffaletta between the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy View Post
I read a study somewhere that the single greatest determinant to happiness is flexibility.

W2R, Sounds like not only are you going to be saving the hassle of a big move, but you have exhibited plenty of the attribute that bodes well for happiness!

(continue to) Enjoy the Big Easy!
Thank you, Drip Guy. That is so nice of you to say.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #40
Administrator

I'm very happy for you W2R. I have always thought of you more as a New Orleans person than a Missouri person.