Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Holy cow! That map of fissures surely looks like a crow's feet on a geezer's face, right where T-Al is. I dunno...
Al lives quite near the Mendocino Triple-junction. A triple junction is where three tectonic plates come together. In this case it's the Pacific Plate, the North American Plate, and the Gorda Plate. This is where the San Andreas fault ends and the Cascadia subduction zone (which creates the Cascade Volcanos) begins. The junction occurs just offshore - near that bulge (Cape Mendocino) on the coast to the west of Petrolia. This is one of the most seismically active regions in the lower 48.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I experienced quite a few quakes in my 20 years in northern CA. The most memorable one being the 1989 Loma Prieta. That one was a 6.9 and really shook things up. I was at Candlestick Park getting ready to watch the World Series with my beloved Giants going up against the A's... I had the USGS site bookmarked back in those days and always noticed that Geyserville had a quake daily. It is an unstable area but never a huge one there that I saw. Just last year we had one here on the East Coast and I was about the only one that knew what was going on. I am glad you are safe Al. Those things can really wreak havoc.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
In a few weeks, I'll be trading tornadoes for earthquakes. I don't know what's scarier...
Scaier is the one you have had least experience with. Mother nature is not to be taken lightly in any form or location.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...When that one hit my boyfriend and I were caught in flagrante, and we thought it must be love... It rolled and rolled, and lasted for what seemed like quite a long time.
Ooh la la!

I can picture the following conversation.

"I can feel that big one coming! Quick, darling, let's jump in bed! This is the chance of a lifetime! It's going to last, and last..."
Old 02-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afntrn56 View Post
I experienced quite a few quakes in my 20 years in northern CA. The most memorable one being the 1989 Loma Prieta. That one was a 6.9 and really shook things up. I was at Candlestick Park getting ready to watch the World Series with my beloved Giants going up against the A's... I had the USGS site bookmarked back in those days and always noticed that Geyserville had a quake daily. It is an unstable area but never a huge one there that I saw. Just last year we had one here on the East Coast and I was about the only one that knew what was going on. I am glad you are safe Al. Those things can really wreak havoc.
I was waiting to watch that game on TV. That one killed quite a few people. As I remember (I was already living up here in WA) the upper layer of the Bay Bridge collapsed. My biggest personal quake experience was the Sylmar quake in 1971 (a 6.6). I was pretty near that one, down at the beach. I had no clue what was going on, it woke us up around 6 am. My GF had lived in Italy and knew quakes. She said let's crawl to the doorframe. It was a stucco duplex, and the plaster and stucco cracked, but I think that was all. That quake tore up some freeways, and some freeway bridges collapsed. I guy I worked with lived in a 2 deck motel style apartment out in Pacoima. His wife was on the landing outside their apartment, and he was lying in bed telling her goodbye. When the quake hit, the floor collapsed and he and his bed wound up in the apartment below. Everyone survived, but his wife broke her arm and was pretty beat up. Most recent for me was the 6.5 in Seattle in 2001. The epicenter was some distance away, but it did a lot of architectural damage although no bridges or structures of any size collapsed. My building was fine.

I don't much like them, and figure that it would be hard to survive a biggie, but overall our west coast weather, dearth of bugs, and other good day to day amenities make me think the small chance of dying from a brick falling on my head is worth it.

Glad your family is OK, Al.

Ha
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Al,

Good to know that you're OK. This reminded me about the earthquake when I was still young. My mother had to pull my sister and I under the dinning table when the whole building started shaking because it was already too late for us to ran out. There was also so called the "light of death" outside of window, blue hue color. Now I guess it was probably due to short of high voltage power transformers/lines.

Take care.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad the T-Al family is all right. I've experienced two earth quakes, both several years ago. One in Ridgefield, CT and the other in the Black Forest of Germany and each one about knocked me out of bed.

When mother nature speaks, people listen, regardless if its an earthquake, tornado, hurricane, flood, huge snow fall or draught.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here in Lima we tend to average 50 or so a year. Most are in the low 4's and barely noticed. Last night at 11:45 we had a 4.9 right off the coast of my condo. I was asleep, though my wife woke me as she and my son bolted for the door (where the emergency kit is). My two biggest experiences were a 7.0 & 8.0 about 100 miles south and they really got my attention!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #29

Glad to hear everyone and everything is fine. I have never experienced an earthquake, even though I lived in CA for a short while when I was a kid and we travel to San Diego to visit DD and her family. I would not mind experiencing a teeny tiny one, as long as no one and no property was hurt. I think that it would be such a strange experience.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Many year ago I experienced my first (and only) earthquake in Bangkok. Being a New Yorker my first thought was that it was just the subway passing underneath the hotel then I looked up and saw the 20' long x 10' wide crystal chandeliers swaying like a tree in a wind storm.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #31

My first earthquake was in Los Angeles in Oct 1987. I was dropping my (then) wife off at work and was parallel parking the car in front of her office building. The car in front started to move slightly which seemed a bit weird, as I knew I hadn't hit it. I put the car into reverse to finish parking and as I looked, noticed that the car behind was shaking too. It didn't make any sense as I knew I hadn't touched it all - my parking wasn't THAT bad. Then I looked at the office building, saw all the windows moving slightly and realized what was going on.

When the 1989 Loma Prieta quake happened in San Francisco, I was living in Reno and we even felt it there.

Then came the 1994 Northridge quake in Los Angeles. It woke me up at 4:31am and almost instantly, I knew what was going on. I jammed myself under the bed in order to ride it out and was having a thoroughly good time until after the shaking stopped, at which point I started wondering where my glasses were. It was then I remembered that I'd slipped them under the bed before nodding off the night before, and slowly pulled a bent pair of spectacles out from underneath me.

Bending my glasses back into shape and fitting them to my face, I padded outside in slippers and pajamas to see one of the neighbors in a daze. He was wandering around declaring loudly that he needed to find the gas valve so he could switch it off. Trouble was that he was lighting his way with a few candles stuck to the lid of a cookie tin. "ED!" I yelled, "Blow those candles OUT!" It was only later we found out that at the time his kidneys were failing, which I'm guessing was the cause of his increasingly odd behavior.

Apart from the danger to life and property, earthquakes as a phenomenon are great fun to experience.

Glad you're OK Al.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #32

When I w*rked in the Earthquake Business, if women asked about what I do, my line was: I make the earth move.

Glad all is well in the T Al neighborhood.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's amazing, that site shows the earthquake even before the shaking has stopped. It took a few minutes for it to fill in the Richter info, but the quake itself is there in seconds.
They do that so that the surviving scientists have the data before the building collapses on the geology staff...

We use a similar motivational technique over here. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center recently moved to a brand-new building: on the ground floor on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor. When the surge rolls in from the south, guess where the focal point is going to peak out.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
When I w*rked in the Earthquake Business, if women asked about what I do, my line was: I make the earth move.
So I guess you were the one who inspired Carole King . . .

Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Scaier is the one you have had least experience with. Mother nature is not to be taken lightly in any form or location.
I would agree but I have been in a tornado and on the cleanup crews for tornadoes and have no experience whatever with earthquakes and I am still very scared of tornadoes.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #36

Give me tornadoes any day. I've been in two quakes, one in San diego and one in Anchorage. Both were small, and weird to my unaccustomed senses. Didn't know what was happening until it was all over. With tornadoes you just need a good place to hide.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
In a few weeks, I'll be trading tornadoes for earthquakes. I don't know what's scarier...
You left out (East coast) hurricanes!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Here's a picture of the damage we experienced from the big 5.8 here in Virginia. Seriously though, some people did have some damage from that quake including some friends of ours in central Virginia. As I child, I lived in the Philippines (Clark Air Force base) and we had some doozies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg va.jpg (42.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So I guess you were the one who inspired Carole King . . .

Don't know. Never met her.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here's a picture of the damage we experienced from the big 5.8 here in Virginia.

What happened to the person who was in the chair?