Big Plans for the Weekend?

Tomorrow is the Pool Opening Party for the outdoor pool in our community. It is bring your own beverage with hamburgers & hotdogs provided. We'll hang out with some of our neighbors there. I doubt anyone will actually get in the pool since it has been a very cool Spring here and the pool water will still be very chilly. I refuse to travel on holiday weekends so we are waiting until Tues. to go to Philly to celebrate DW dad's 84th birthday (which is tomorrow). Sunday and Monday we will just chill out.

Grumpy

J-Lu said:
We will be celebrating our son's 1st birthday. I initially didn't want to have one because I never found 1st birthday parties too exciting. But friends kept saying "we want to see him eat cake". So we settled on a backyard bbq, no gifts party.

We're having our sons 1st b-day party on Sunday...his bday is weds. Congrats!

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
The pergola's done being built, have all the electricity run to it, ceiling fan is operational, half inch foam rug pad down with indoor outdoor carpet on top so Gabe can swan dive off the swing set or slide I built in, pool is filled, and all my yardwork is caught up.

Cool.   I've been trying to tell my wife that we need a pergola, but she keeps coming back with "what good is a room with big holes in the walls and ceiling?"   And I'm stuck.

Where'd you get the swing set components?   We're about to head out to HD to buy some of their Timber-Bilt components.    Stop me if there's something better.

Well, I had loads of fun last weekend, and then spent Monday through Thursday at my parent's vacation place relaxing, and my great plans for this weekend? Emptying my two car garage, scrubbing it down, tossing the crap, and organizing what's left. Monday is trash night. I'm excited. Oh, planting the tomatoes too. If there's time, I'll empty all the closets in my house and do the same. I plan to do it every 14 years. Been here 14 years... It's time.

wab said:
Cool. I've been trying to tell my wife that we need a pergola, but she keeps coming back with "what good is a room with big holes in the walls and ceiling?" And I'm stuck.

In our case, its extremely practical.

I stretched some of the square 'shade sails' from coolaroo over the top between the corner posts, as its impossible to sit outside in during the day in the summer in 100+ degree heat without shade.

I attached some nice 42" white vinyl fencing to the posts and put a gate on each side. Jigsaw puzzle style foam baby floor matting under the entire 12x20 area with really nice indoor-outdoor carpeting over it. So gabe can go out there with us and we dont have to eyeball him the whole time to make sure he hasnt wandered off into the hedges and he can climb on all the furniture without too much worry about him taking a header.

The ceiling fan is the best part though. I'm 'beta testing' with a crappy $8 42" white fan and it works great. I mounted it to one of the overhead beams and wired it to a switch. Set to blow down and with a large round table under it, we can get a nice light breeze without noise, a fan for the baby to stick his fingers into, etc. I'm going to replace it with a 52" outdoor model with huge wicker blades.

It also give us something to hang a clock, shelves, the baby monitor, a phone, hangers for wet pool outfits, etc.

Where'd you get the swing set components? We're about to head out to HD to buy some of their Timber-Bilt components. Stop me if there's something better.
Indeed, check out sams club and costco.

The set below was $999 at sams club.

The pergola's bolted to our patio, so it'll make a nice anchor point for one end of the playset.

Attachments

• playyard.jpg
    playyard.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 78
Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Indeed, check out sams club and costco.

Yeah, I've been eyeing a $1300 set from costco, but they don't give you any flexibility in the configuration.    So, I spent $250 on some components today instead.   The kid plays on our deck, so I'm attaching a slide and rock wall to one end of the deck, and then I'll build a stand-alone swing set.    And maybe a fort for me.  :)

Edit: BTW, that picture of yours violates several playground safety regulations.   I hope that's just a random brochure picture.

Weekends like this we just try to hide somewheres.

All the loonies take over the RV parks and state parks (my apologies to you holiday campers out there - they are not all loonies).

Left a state park this morning - kids, bicycles, cars and kayaks/inner tubes everywhere! Got back to our RV park and a (likely weekender) neighbor in addition to all sorts of wind toys and lawn furniture everywhere, had hung bird feeders in our site as well as theirs, and we had house sparrows and grackles everywhere. Not my idea of a pleasant return to "home base".

It's just amazing how much STUFF people bring with them just for one weekend of camping. We live in our motorhome and we place very few things outside. We've noticed the shorter the camping trip, the MORE stuff people bring and set up. Amazing!!

Yep, this long holiday weekends, I can't wait for Tuesday.

(OK - rant off - sorry)

Audrey

mclesters said:
I've got to take my income tax test for the CFP this afternoon, so I'm hoping to spend the weekend celebrating no more AMT and vacation home calculations!
And listen, if y'all have any sense at all, you will be clamoring for an invite to Astromeria's house here in Charleston!  What a fabulous and charming hostess!  She's more southern than me, hospitality-wise!  We had a great time and I am so excited to meet some "like-minded" people, when most of the folks in my age-range are not remotely interested in investing and early retirement--what very cool folks the Astro's are--and her flower garden--wow! 
Sarah
Hey thanks for the glimpse into Astro's life!

Audrey

Audrey, we are at a county campground in northern Wisconsin right on lake superior. It is 2/3 empty. Very surprising for memorial day weekend. We debated staying home a pulling weeds, but the weather looked so nice.

Yesterday we went out on the dirt bikes for a few hours down some very sandy trails. I was thrilled with myself. Didn't dump the bike once even though I fishtailed a lot. We were tough guys!

My back hurts today.

Sitting around this am and will take the dogs out later to explore. So far only woodticks--no deer ticks and minimal mosquites.

A big piece of the sierra foothills, which is usually in the 70's, low 80's this time of year, got a couple of inches of snow yesterday in the wee hours of the morning.

Some seriously surprised campers...

Weird weather around here this year...no Fall season at all, we went from hot to cold and rainy, then a warm dry february when its usually cool and wet, then two months of torrential, record setting rains, then a hundred degrees for two weeks, now we've got low 70's, some showers, and snow in the sierra foothills in late may.

Weird volatile weather in this part of the world is like ice in hell.

Had a pretty significant storm this week in San Diego, I stood outside in shock and so did a couple other neighbors. We are used to kissing rain goodby from March until November. Hey, and June 6th, 2006 is coming up... :eek: ;)

Laurence said:
Had a pretty significant storm this week in San Diego, I stood outside in shock and so did a couple other neighbors.
Well, hey, when you start blowing it away, make sure you're facing east!

I haven't heard a single commercial this year about saving water...

Same here. They're dumping it from the reservoirs at record levels to try to make room for the snow melt runoff from the sierras. Waters moving so fast there have already been a ton of water related fatalities. All the fire departments are loaning out free life preservers for people to end up using as pillows on their boat or on shore.

This time of year we always get a half dozen or more stories of the guy who swam in, got caught in a current and sucked under a boulder, then the other 4 family members (who cant swim) each sequentially tried to save the first guy, and each subsequent victim.

Sad stuff.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
This time of year we always get a half dozen or more stories of the guy who swam in, got caught in a current and sucked under a boulder, then the other 4 family members (who cant swim) each sequentially tried to save the first guy, and each subsequent victim.
Favorite tactics around here are:
- "I just started my vacation and I only have five days left so I'm going to party my butt off, wake up with a hangover, and then go snorkeling/surfing/diving/hangliding, and I'm gonna do it without sunscreen too!"
- "Hey, kids, the tide's out-- let's explore the rocky pools!"
- "Hmmm... where's the water coming from in that blowhole? Let's lean over for a closer look."
- "65 MPH speed limits? These wimps don't know how to drive."
- "I've never seen a shorebreak hurt anybody."
- "You call that a mountain? Heck, I've hiked foothills bigger than that back home. Let's go, we'll be back before sundown!"

and the Coast Guard's favorite:
- "Nah, we don't need a radio or a beacon on this boat, I'm bringing my cell phone."

This weekend has turned out to be just what I invisioned. Quiet, dh is working all weekend and most neighbors are away. Saturday did all my household chores, yesterday did some planting to spruce up the yard, today is relax day. Maybe a cookout later with my parents (they live next door), some of the siblings may stop by for a burger or a dog, definately my kind of weekend.

Played 27 holes Saturday and mowed grass. Didn't do much yesterday other than sleep in the recliner. More golf this morning then a bbq in the afternoon. :) Frigging work tomorrow. :(

Here's that kooky strom earlier this week, but this weekend has been perfect! Spent most of it leveling the side yard for Tori's play structure. :p

26September2005001edit.jpg

Nords said:
Favorite tactics around here are:
- "I just started my vacation and I only have five days left so I'm going to party my butt off, wake up with a hangover, and then go snorkeling/surfing/diving/hangliding, and I'm gonna do it without sunscreen too!"
- "Hey, kids, the tide's out-- let's explore the rocky pools!"
- "Hmmm... where's the water coming from in that blowhole? Let's lean over for a closer look."
- "65 MPH speed limits? These wimps don't know how to drive."
- "I've never seen a shorebreak hurt anybody."
- "You call that a mountain? Heck, I've hiked foothills bigger than that back home. Let's go, we'll be back before sundown!"

and the Coast Guard's favorite:
- "Nah, we don't need a radio or a beacon on this boat, I'm bringing my cell phone."

Unfortunately, there are often sufficient protections that prevent these people from self-darwin'ing and they also often reproduce before being successful. ;)

Wrapping up the Memorial Day weekend, I was listening to NPR and heard an interview with a Marine Major who had served as a Casualty Notification Officer in Colorado. Reporters for the Rocky Mountain News spent a year with Maj. Steve Beck and wrote a behind-the-scenes story of what it's like for both those delivering and receiving that terrible knock on the door.

I challenge you to read this gut-wrenching account and not feel deeply impacted by The Final Salute.

We were given 4 tickets to the Nascar races in Charlotte NC for the Carquest 300 and Coca Cola 600. None of us have ever watched a Nascar race in our lives. We have watched a few minutes before when channel surfing. There are people out there who are really, really into Nascar racing. We sat near some very nice people who explained a lot of what was going on to us. We had a great time and it was definitely a new experience to us. (DH goes to the Spring Nationals in Columbus OH every year and I have been there with him many years ago. These are drag races on a quarter mile, I believe.) I could not believe the crowds and the traffic for the races. We don't normally travel over this holiday either and now I know why. It is good to be back home.

I don't even mind going to work tomorrow, because I only have 4 days left and I will be retired! I am so excited and I can't believe that I won't ever have to go to work again!

Dreamer

Dreamer said:
I don't even mind going to work tomorrow, because I only have 4 days left and I will be retired! I am so excited and I can't believe that I won't ever have to go to work again!

Enjoy your last few days and don't let your envious co-workers rain on your parade. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Wrapping up the Memorial Day weekend, I was listening to NPR and heard an interview with a Marine Major who had served as a Casualty Notification Officer in Colorado.  Reporters for the Rocky Mountain News spent a year with Maj. Steve Beck and wrote a behind-the-scenes story of what it's like for both those delivering and receiving that terrible knock on the door.

I challenge you to read this gut-wrenching account and not feel deeply impacted by The Final Salute.

Just got through reading the whole story. When I saw the movie "Saving Private Ryan", I vividly remember the mother standing at her kitchen sink and then looking out the window to see an unfamiliar dark car driving up towards her home. As this ominous scene unfolds, you could sense and feel the mother's fear and foreboding in those brief moments just before the military officials come to her door. I can't forget the part where she slowly sinks to the floor in anguished grief after being informed of her sons' deaths. This scene made me think of all those people who have had, or will have, the misfortune of experiencing this scene in real life.

The NPR story cited above took it one step further because it also gives a detailed account of what it feels like, and all that is involved, for the person whose job it is to knock on the door and deliver the devastating news. This is an enlightening and poignant read for Memorial Day to salute and show respect for those who made the "ultimate sacrifice" during war.

Back
Top Bottom