Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Big Plans for the Weekend?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:00 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This weekend has turned out to be just what I invisioned. Quiet, dh is working all weekend and most neighbors are away. Saturday did all my household chores, yesterday did some planting to spruce up the yard, today is relax day. Maybe a cookout later with my parents (they live next door), some of the siblings may stop by for a burger or a dog, definately my kind of weekend.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played 27 holes Saturday and mowed grass. Didn't do much yesterday other than sleep in the recliner. More golf this morning then a bbq in the afternoon. Frigging work tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Here's that kooky strom earlier this week, but this weekend has been perfect! Spent most of it leveling the side yard for Tori's play structure. :P

[img width=750 height=572]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/laurencewill/26September2005001edit.jpg[/img]
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Favorite tactics around here are:
- "I just started my vacation and I only have five days left so I'm going to party my butt off, wake up with a hangover, and then go snorkeling/surfing/diving/hangliding, and I'm gonna do it without sunscreen too!"
- "Hey, kids, the tide's out-- let's explore the rocky pools!"
- "Hmmm... where's the water coming from in that blowhole? Let's lean over for a closer look."
- "65 MPH speed limits? These wimps don't know how to drive."
- "I've never seen a shorebreak hurt anybody."
- "You call that a mountain? Heck, I've hiked foothills bigger than that back home. Let's go, we'll be back before sundown!"

and the Coast Guard's favorite:
- "Nah, we don't need a radio or a beacon on this boat, I'm bringing my cell phone."
Unfortunately, there are often sufficient protections that prevent these people from self-darwin'ing and they also often reproduce before being successful.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wrapping up the Memorial Day weekend, I was listening to NPR and heard an interview with a Marine Major who had served as a Casualty Notification Officer in Colorado. Reporters for the Rocky Mountain News spent a year with Maj. Steve Beck and wrote a behind-the-scenes story of what it's like for both those delivering and receiving that terrible knock on the door.

I challenge you to read this gut-wrenching account and not feel deeply impacted by The Final Salute.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We were given 4 tickets to the Nascar races in Charlotte NC for the Carquest 300 and Coca Cola 600. None of us have ever watched a Nascar race in our lives. We have watched a few minutes before when channel surfing. There are people out there who are really, really into Nascar racing. We sat near some very nice people who explained a lot of what was going on to us. We had a great time and it was definitely a new experience to us. (DH goes to the Spring Nationals in Columbus OH every year and I have been there with him many years ago. These are drag races on a quarter mile, I believe.) I could not believe the crowds and the traffic for the races. We don't normally travel over this holiday either and now I know why. It is good to be back home.

I don't even mind going to work tomorrow, because I only have 4 days left and I will be retired! I am so excited and I can't believe that I won't ever have to go to work again!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I don't even mind going to work tomorrow, because I only have 4 days left and I will be retired! I am so excited and I can't believe that I won't ever have to go to work again!
Enjoy your last few days and don't let your envious co-workers rain on your parade.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Wrapping up the Memorial Day weekend, I was listening to NPR and heard an interview with a Marine Major who had served as a Casualty Notification Officer in Colorado.* Reporters for the Rocky Mountain News spent a year with Maj. Steve Beck and wrote a behind-the-scenes story of what it's like for both those delivering and receiving that terrible knock on the door.

I challenge you to read this gut-wrenching account and not feel deeply impacted by The Final Salute.

Just got through reading the whole story. When I saw the movie "Saving Private Ryan", I vividly remember the mother standing at her kitchen sink and then looking out the window to see an unfamiliar dark car driving up towards her home. As this ominous scene unfolds, you could sense and feel the mother's fear and foreboding in those brief moments just before the military officials come to her door. I can't forget the part where she slowly sinks to the floor in anguished grief after being informed of her sons' deaths. This scene made me think of all those people who have had, or will have, the misfortune of experiencing this scene in real life.

The NPR story cited above took it one step further because it also gives a detailed account of what it feels like, and all that is involved, for the person whose job it is to knock on the door and deliver the devastating news. This is an enlightening and poignant read for Memorial Day to salute and show respect for those who made the "ultimate sacrifice" during war.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote