Join Early Retirement Today

Biggest or most expensive thing you ordered from Amazon.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Biggest or most expensive thing you ordered from Amazon.

I've seen the thread on "the latest", now I'm curious on if you ever used Amazon for something substantial in size or value. Did it come with free shipping?

The largest thing I ever bought was a small chest freezer (3.5 cubic feet capacity). 60 lbs and free shipping.

bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most expensive: I wanted a platinum chain to hold my late DH's wedding band and a silver charm with a digital version of his fingerprint on it. (Platinum is far stronger than gold. Why not stainless steel? Because I wanted platinum, that's why.) Not the kind of thing you can buy in a jewelry store. It cost $1,300.

athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The biggest and, I think, the most expensive thing I've ordered was a golf cart, about 5Kg, over $200.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #4

Never anything too big that it couldn't be lifted by hand. Most expensive was vacuum cleaner @ $400. Most expensive order was when I rebuilt the house and ordered the faucets.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think the biggest and most expensive was an adjustable bed foundation. $700, 80x59x9 and 123 pounds. They were twice as much in the mattress store I first looked at. I love it, especially right now as I'm trying to get over bronchitis, as it helps to sleep somewhat elevated.

IIRC I was able to be home and watch for the UPS man and help him get it in the door. I had a friend come help me get it upstairs. Not that hard, but way too clumsy to do on my own. In my stupider years I'd have tried it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Biggest, and most expensive, was a bathroom vanity with a marble top. It was approx 450 lbs delivered. $1,849 and Free shipping. In a couple of weeks will need to be moved upstairs which will be interesting
SpinDr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDr View Post
Biggest, and most expensive, was a bathroom vanity with a marble top. It was approx 450 lbs delivered. $1,849 and Free shipping. In a couple of weeks will need to be moved upstairs which will be interesting
Fantastic! Wonder what the fully burdened shipping would have been.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Treadmill, about $700. Free shipping if I remember correctly.

Also have bought a couple of dressers (not as bulky or heavy the treadmill).
Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
I've seen the thread on "the latest", now I'm curious on if you ever used Amazon for something substantial in size or value. Did it come with free shipping?

The largest thing I ever bought was a small chest freezer (3.5 cubic feet capacity). 60 lbs and free shipping.
Back in 2013 I ordered a 55" Panasonic plasma TV. It came with free shipping, and in fact, the shipping company men put it on the entertainment center and helped me to set it up so that they could establish that it was working before they left. They weren't required to do that, and I didn't pay extra for it, but played the "little old lady card" to the hilt.

It was 62 pounds; the package was 81 pounds.

I ordered the 93 pound entertainment center from Amazon also in 2013, two weeks before ordering the TV. Shipping for this was free too, but it was 93 pounds. It was a real bear to assemble.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I didn't realize it, but I've never ordered anything big or expensive from Amazon (1st order 2006), not that I'd have any reservations doing so. I've found local or other online merchants pricing is just as good or better than most Amazon merchants, so what I've ordered has mostly been hard to find items. My most expensive item was $79.95.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Apprently the heaviest thing with free shipping on Amazon right now is this 6,700 pound geared head engine lathe. And I though the 500 pound gun safe in my cart was impressive!

The biggest, heaviest thing I've ordered from Amazon was a massive 4" memory foam mattress topper for a king sized bed. It came rolled up and vacuum sealed, but even so, the box was like 4'x4' and the thing was already thick enough for me to lay on before it unrolled.

The most expensive thing I ordered from Amazon were all the parts I needed to create a custom gaming PC. If you can count that as one thing.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

The biggest thing I ever bought on Amazon:
a codpiece (fortunately, shipping was free)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #13

65" rear projection TV
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes two unrelated posts in a row can be funny, even when the first attempt at humor wasn't.

I bought a kitchen sink. Not that big but bulky. Not as happy with it as I thought. If I had seen it in a store I would have known better. Same thing with the ceiling fan I bought, looked good in picture-tacky in reality.
I did buy a tv once, but from Target not Amazon just because it would not fit in my car. They did not carry it up my front steps. grrr
Old 07-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
Administrator

The biggest thing I ever got from Amazon was probably a front bumper for my Civic. That may also have been the single most expensive too, although I cannot really recall, as I have ordered a vast number of things - from a tuxedo to spark plugs.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

That's an easy one. The biggest thing I ever bought there was a set of 2 lounge chairs. They were shipped fully assembled and the carton was HUGE (about the size of a casket). Not particularly heavy, but awkward.
Until I pay my bill

-Warren Zevon
chilkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #17

We also ordered a front bumper for my toyota highlander. But I think the double sink was bigger/heavier. Unfortunately, it arrived having been run over by a wheeled vehicle (tread marks on the cardboard). So glad we opened it to inspect before the trucker (not fedex/ups - it was a trucking service) left... we rejected it and got a refund. When I submitted pictures of the box prior to opening it - and the very broken/multiple pieces there was no issue with the refund.

Most expensive.... not sure... Kids have built their own computers with stuff ordered off amazon - but it was separate items (cpu, motherboard, ram, etc.)

I priced refrigerators 2 weeks ago - but ended up ordering a fridge from our local sears because it was 60% off since our sears is shutting down next month.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I priced refrigerators 2 weeks ago - but ended up ordering a fridge from our local sears because it was 60% off since our sears is shutting down next month.
Excellent deal! I love my Sears refrigerator.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Excellent deal! I love my Sears refrigerator.
And now you can buy your Kenmore applicances and soon Whole Foods groceries from Amazon! I wonder if Amazon will own everything in my lifetime...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #20
Administrator

Amazon isn't buying Kenmore, it's just a new distribution channel.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote