Bill Parcels retires from the Cowboys & NFL

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Parcels is out. The natural reaction for me is surprise, but on the other hand it makes sense. Is this team one season away from a Superbowl? Not likely, and he wasn't going to be around beyond next year, anyway.

Putting a new coach in now and scrambling things now sets up a team coming in tune in time for a good season or two after the new stadium opens (2009). I'm thinking that's what Jerry Jones is thinking.

Keeping Parcels for another year would've been a longshot at the Superbowl and just delaying the coaching upheaval and recovery time and putting a questionable group to perform in the first year of the new statium.

Among the names being thrown around on ESPN, I like the idea of Mike Singletary. I enjoyed watching him play and would like to see him coach.

Heh, how about Vinny Testaverde? He's got to stop actually playing before he goes oer 50 YO...

Five bucks says Parcells is coaching another team next year...or the year after.

I think his dream job is to go back to the giants and tom coughlins job is pretty dang tenuous.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Five bucks says Parcells is coaching another team next year...or the year after.

Yeah, that was my first thought. How many times has he retired already?

Lets see, retired from the giants, couple of years in broadcasting and then coached the patriots. Announced the week before the pats went to the superbowl that he was leaving to do something else because the team owner took the GM title away from him because he sucked at drafting players and picking free agents, team lost focus that may have contributed to losing the game. Later he announced that he shook hands with tampa bay owner hugh culverhouse and announced that he would be coach of the buccaneers, then a day later reneged and said he wouldnt.

Then he showed up a short time later, still under contract to the patriots IIRC and announced that he was coaching the jets. Sort of. The jets hired parcells defensive coordinator bill bellichick as the coach and parcells as an 'advisor'. Since anyone over the age of 4 could see through this BS, the jets had to give up some draft picks to the patriots, then parcells swiped several key players by signing them to poison pill contracts the patriots couldnt match. Later he resigned from the jets but got backstabbed himself by his hand picked successor, bellichick, who went to the patriots. Parcells stayed one more year as a general manager or something with the jets, then announced he would absolutely never coach again, then signed as coach of the cowboys.

So basically a liar, a weasel, and someone who will screw up your organization on his way out the door, if you can get him in the door in the first place.

A fantastic manipulator and motivator though. I'm thinking his schtick worked better with low paid wide-eyed kids and older players and not so well with todays millionaire self absorbed players.

Yeah, I heard the story that he was negotiating his next coaching job instead of concentrating on preparing the patriots for the super bowl in 1997.... :-\....
most of these guys look to be weasels....Nick Saban also comes to mind...

I really like listening to Parcels press briefing. It seems that he has a distaste for the press and all of the dumb questions that are asked. You can not beat his sarcasm. Best of all he never refers to players by name. When asked about a player he always refers to him as "the player" (i.e. "the player is not as good as you guys seem to think he is."

What CFB said.

I was glad when he got here, comparing him to his predecessors. Turns out, he's barely better than they were. When Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, he said he was to old. Well, ditto Parcells. I read an article about him in ESPN Rag which indicates he's miserable; even when he wins. That being said, he apparently has no life outside of football. So, if he doesn't get another job, probably the Giants, then this time next year we may be talking about the deceased Coach Parcells.

One note: Jerry Jones has managed to go through three hall of fame coaches: Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Big Bill. Too bad Jerry couldn't retire, too.

Eagle43 said:
What CFB said.

I was glad when he got here, comparing him to his predecessors. Turns out, he's barely better than they were. When Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, he said he was to old. Well, ditto Parcells. I read an article about him in ESPN Rag which indicates he's miserable; even when he wins. That being said, he apparently has no life outside of football. So, if he doesn't get another job, probably the Giants, then this time next year we may be talking about the deceased Coach Parcells.

One note: Jerry Jones has managed to go through three hall of fame coaches: Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, and Big Bill. Too bad Jerry couldn't retire, too.

Actually, Jones made firing Landry a condition of his purchasing the Cowboys from Tex, so Tom never coached a Jones owned Cowboys team. Jones did make a huge mistake when he let Johnson's success with the Cowboys go to his own head and subsequently lost Jimmy.

Did anybody else see TO's reaction to Parcells leaving? Said something to the effect of we need a coach who can take us to the next level.

Last time I checked the Superbowl ring count is:
TO- none
Parcells- 2

Yeah, TO can start flapping his lips again the minute he reliably catches a football that hits him right in the numbers.

Well, my team sucks, so the only joy I have is turmoil in big D. Only a matter of time before TO destroys another team.

As for Parcell, it was tough to see him at the Cowboys..........he's doin the right thing as I think Jerry was not letting him run his own show.

Back
Top Bottom