Join Early Retirement Today

Binging House of Cards (Spoiler Alert)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Binging House of Cards (Spoiler Alert)

Only 4 episodes in, but it's full of surprises, twists and turns... bravo!

This is a perfect example (IMHO) of why Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc...are positioned to change the entertainment media landscape very quickly.

Ok, is it 'binging' or 'bingeing'?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm on episode #10. Many of the situations in House of Cards are very "current."

[mod edit]
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think it's bingeing.

Spoiler Alert!!!

I loved the scene where Claire needs to relieve stress and do something indulgent, so she fries two (2) eggs.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Administrator

The thread title was modified to include a spoiler alert. It probably wouldn't hurt to warn the same in specific posts.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I have put a spoiler alert on the eggs. Wouldn't want to give away the plot!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Just finished the 3rd episode of the 3rd season, so I had to skip reading the comments in the rest of this thread.

SPOILER ALERT:

Excellent social commentary on Russia and Putin and a beautifully rendered one finger victory salute to ole Vlad (or Petrov as they called the Russian prez in House of Cards).

+1 to being very impressed with netflix's original programming and other streaming companies' original content. Definitely edgier and more relevant to me than the mainstream stuff coming out of the major networks (except Modern Family which is ROFLly good).
Old 03-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Season 3 is causing a real time management problem for me as there are 13 episodes and I have other things I probably should be doing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
+1 to being very impressed with netflix's original programming and other streaming companies' original content. Definitely edgier and more relevant to me than the mainstream stuff coming out of the major networks (except Modern Family which is ROFLly good).
It is where Big Data meets TV -

How Netflix is turning viewers into puppets - Salon.com

"Netflix doesn’t know merely what we’re watching, but when, where and with what kind of device we’re watching. It keeps a record of every time we pause the action — or rewind, or fast-forward — and how many of us abandon a show entirely after watching for a few minutes."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Having seen the original British version which was shorter, I have a pretty good idea of how it ends. Assuming they generally follow the plot.

IMHO, then British version is better. They are stretching the story out too much in the American version.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
It is where Big Data meets TV -

How Netflix is turning viewers into puppets - Salon.com

"Netflix doesn’t know merely what we’re watching, but when, where and with what kind of device we’re watching. It keeps a record of every time we pause the action — or rewind, or fast-forward — and how many of us abandon a show entirely after watching for a few minutes."

Sounds good to me! Getting more stuff that I want to see in front of my eyeballs. Very efficient. I only spend about an hour, maybe two if DW is up for watching something, in front of the tube so I better make it count, right?

And even better, they are crafting new shows that, based on the data, are very likely to appeal to many people. They know what I like before I do.

My recommendations are wacky though because I share an account with my 2 year old. It's half Thomas the Train and cute kids cartoons and educational stuff and the other half is hack and slash, blood, violence, sex, gore, plus the occasional serious drama or funny comedy mixed in. Schizophrenic much?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

DW and I are vacationing in FL for a few weeks and are binging on streaming media. So far we have watched 3 episodes of House of Cards - still holding up so far. We also discovered The Fall, a series about a serial killer in Belfast vs a flawed female super cop (this is getting to be a bit of a cliche lately). The Fall is pretty compelling viewing. We have watched more episodes of that than House of Cards.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW and I are vacationing in FL for a few weeks and are binging on streaming media. So far we have watched 3 episodes of House of Cards - still holding up so far. We also discovered The Fall, a series about a serial killer in Belfast vs a flawed female super cop (this is getting to be a bit of a cliche lately). The Fall is pretty compelling viewing. We have watched more episodes of that than House of Cards.
Last night I watched the final episode of "The Fall", and found the short series very enjoyable.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For those that like The Fall, you might also like The Following. Another serial killer vs. flawed super cop. And dexter if you haven't seen it already.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

IMO This is the best season of House of Cards . I want to reach into the TV and slap Francis & Claire .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote