Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bird Flu Redux
Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Vaccinate kids, not the elderly to help control flu?

http://www.slate.com/id/2127860/?nav=tap3

"Because the human immune system weakens with age, only 28 percent of elderly people who get vaccinated develop immunity. The low rate of protection means that 84 percent of all elderly (the 72 percent whose vaccinations don't take, along with those who don't get vaccinated) remain prey to a flu virus that runs otherwise largely unchecked."

<snip>

"For an airborne virus, kids are the conduit of choice. Fortunately, though, kids are also the conduit most easily blocked. Their immune systems respond wonderfully to flu vaccine. A whopping 90 percent are successfully immunized by a flu shot, compared to the 28 percent figure for the elderly and 60 percent for middle-aged adults. "

OK, how many of you think this is a govt. plot to prepare the American public for a possilbe shortfall in developing sufficient quantities of bird flu vaccine? Sounds better than saying "We're going to sacrifice the old and infirm in an attempt to save the next generation."

Remember, you aren't paranoid if they are really out to get you....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No iddea if its a waste of money, but I ordered some N100 masks. I suppose that if the plague doesn't materialize, I'll wear them when I am painting and sanding.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
No iddea if its a waste of money, but I ordered some N100 masks.* I suppose that if the plague doesn't materialize, I'll wear them when I am painting and sanding.
Hilarious, I ordered some earlier this week as well.... same rationale as you too- "If I don't use them for the flu, I can use them for sanding the boat's fiberglass"
Old 10-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some Tamiflu on hand, so I called my doc's office and they basically said "what a coincidence; we just had a meeting on this issue, and decided we won't be writing any rx for Tamiflu." Oh, well.

Also, there's some hope that we'll have a one-dose prophylaxis:

Peramivir
Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #45

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some Tamiflu on hand, so I called my doc's office and they basically said "what a coincidence; we just had a meeting on this issue, and decided we won't be writing any rx for Tamiflu."* *Oh, well.

Also, there's some hope that we'll have a one-dose prophylaxis:

Peramivir
Also a coincidence.... my Dr said the exact same thing. Do you live the Seattle area by any chance?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Also a coincidence.... my Dr said the exact same thing. Do you live the Seattle area by any chance?
I thought you already had some. I was just headed over to your place to nab it. (If you would have caught me, I would have shown you my "Crane Spreads its Wings" Tai Chi move.)

I imagine that docs are saying the same thing all across the country right now. Get it while you can.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
No iddea if its a waste of money, but I ordered some N100 masks.*
I think I will get some of these and decorate them to wear in salsa clubs. I think it would be accepted. Going out dancing is a wonderful way to expose yourself to whatever is around. I keep Purell in my pocket. I am considered bizarre by the others, who never give it a thought.

Ha
Old 10-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Going out dancing is a wonderful way to expose yourself to whatever is around. I keep Purell in my pocket.
Ha's dance parter asks, "So is that Purell in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I thought you already had some.* *I was just headed over to your place to nab it.* *(If you would have caught me, I would have shown you my "Crane Spreads its Wings" Tai Chi move.)

I imagine that docs are saying the same thing all across the country right now.* *Get it while you can.
The lack of Rx is why I ordered online.... believe me, I would have rather paid my co-pay than full price :P
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Marshac.....Would you mind sharing where you ordered the tamiflu online with us?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #51

OK, the CDC has now released the symptoms of bird flu. Watch out for these:

1. High fever
2. Congestion
3. An irresistable urge to crap on your car's windshield

Old 10-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #52

The current bird flu has been around since 1997. I wonder if the chances that it will mutate to allow person-to-person transmission is any greater than it has been over the last 8 years. I guess there are more flu organisms out there now than in 1997.

I'm now more convinced that though the threat is real, it is being blown out of proportion by the media and the low-approval-rating government.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Our office manager is kind of a germ phobe.* She distributed to all a product called Purell instant hand sanitizer, that purports to kill 99.99% of "germs."* So is this a meaningless product or will it really help the spread of colds and flu?*
I can't stand the current obsession with killing all bacteria, like that is really an option.* What people needs to realize is that "germs" are EVERYWHERE, all of the time.* And of the bacteria that the products kill, 99.99% are perfectly harmless and the other 0.01% could just as easily be removed through normal soap and water.

Top it all of with the long term side effect of more quickly making useless the arsenal of antibiotics that we have to use in grave situations because everyday use has allowed the bacteria a greater chance of developing an resistance to them.

So we're trading life saving applications for short term psychological comfort for hysterical parents.* This doesn't make sense to me.

I'll say it again.* Germs are EVERYWHERE.* There would be no life on Earth without bacteria.* Trying to get rid of all of it is a fool's errand.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Explorer
Germs are EVERYWHERE.
Aaaahhhhh! Run for your lives!

AE is right. We're just making germs stronger by taking half-measures. Pretty soon, a KILLER GERM will deliver a knock-out blow, but I don't know if it'll be the current scare or a different one. Some viruses are kind of like termites. They can take up residence inside your structural components and live a happy life while they either eat away at your brain, cause chronic inflamation to your heart, or drive your immune system bonkers.

Those are the viruses that scare me. I just hope one doesn't become airborne.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Explorer
And of the bacteria that the products kill, 99.99% are perfectly harmless and the other 0.01% could just as easily be removed through normal soap and water.... There would be no life on Earth without bacteria.* Trying to get rid of all of it is a fool's errand.
I don't run to the bathroom after every time I shake someone's hand, but if I'm near a hand sanitizer, I'll use some.

I notice they have hand sanitizer in the hallways of hospitals now too.

I don't feel I have to wipe out all the bacteria. Just my enemies.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #56

Bacteria, yeasts, mold and viruses are all part of our world. *As has already been said, life as we know it would not exist or continue without them. *Our culture has become so anti-bacterial that we feel the need to sanitize, sterilize, and disinfect every thing in our environment. *This is not only a waste of money, time and energy, it is unhealthy. *Our immune systems work best when it is challenged to work. *White blood cells and antibodies are all created only when the body is actively fighting a potential infection or exposure to some antigen.

In a world filled with disinfectants, we are creating an unnatural eccosystem where we are causing a natural selection of the strongest germs. *These will be more difficult to kill through chemical means and may also be more difficult to control through the misuse of antibiotics. *The skin eating streps. are an good example of this. *

Respiratory viruses are the ones most commonly seen in winter as we tend to congregate in closed spaces. *The viruses will spread through the air and through direct contact. *

Most surgical masks will not stop viruses so don't kid yourself. *

Tamiflu does have some not so good possible side effects and it is not 100% effective.

Purell is basically alcohol and is only effective against a small number of bacteria. *It does not sterilize it only disinfects those bacteria that are sensitive to alcohol and many are not. *Plain handwashing with soap is just about as effective. *

Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Clean house syndrome.

We become so worried about germs that we don't develop the required immunities through exposure.

Like my dad used to say, "everyone needs to eat a peck of dirt."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #58

And don't get me started on prions. Ahhhhh! Run for your lives!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #59

Prions and tigers and bears........Oh My!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Clean house syndrome.*

We become so worried about germs that we don't develop the required immunities through exposure.

Like my dad used to say, "everyone needs to eat a peck of dirt."
Martha,
* * * * * * *Did your Dad really advocate that everyone eat 8 dry quarts; 1/4 bushel; or 0.3111 cubic feet of dirt? If so how long did it take you?

Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote