Join Early Retirement Today
Birdie wierdness
Old 07-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Birdie wierdness

I should probably post this to Andy's pet forum, but I know you guys so I'll try here first.

We have two budgies/parakeets, an older female and a young male. The female, Pretty Bird, is very overweight. At first we though she might be getting ready to lay an egg but further examination reveals she is just fat. Other than being fat, Pretty Bird is a happy bird, likes me, eats spinach out of my hand, and sings a lot. Should I care that she is so fat? How would I put her on a diet anyway? She shares a cage with the male, who is far from fat.

The male, Dewey, is a different story. He drinks a huge amount of water and thus has watery stinky poos. I have no idea why he drinks so much and he has done so for a couple of months. At first he would chew the cuttle bone, drink water, and spit out the mixture. He seems to have stopped that behavior. He hardly sings, if at all. He used to a have nice loud voice. He won't play with toys. He does like eating spinach and sitting on my finger. From the feel of his feet, he runs much much hotter than Pretty Bird. Yet he doesn't exhibit signs of illness like other birds usually do: like ruffled feathers, head under wings, closing their eyes.

I have a hard time thinking about taking Dewey to the vet. But the stinky cage is getting problematic.

Greg wants to either eat them (umm! nice fat Pretty Bird) or set them free. I trust he is joking.

Any thoughts?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Martha, I know nothing about birds, except that I enjoy watching them around our feeders, and I NEVER see a fat one. But here's my two cents worth.

Fatty: Get a bigger cage, or a cage of her own?

Male pooper: why wouldn't you just get him to the vet, get the professional's opinion and quit worrying about it. No singing, bad smells and warmer feet would be enough symptoms for me.

Can't you see yourself in the nursing home saying, " Darn! Wish I'd spent more time at the office instead of wasting time with family and friends."
tightasadrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Greg wants to either eat them (umm! nice fat Pretty Bird) or set them free.
Better stick to your diet, Martha! And while you're at it, don't drink too much water.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Separate cages should do the trick for fatty but the other needs a trip to the vet... pronto.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
It sounds like you have a sick bird based on the symptoms that are on this chart: what are symtoms of a sick parakeet?
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Yikes! To the Avian Vet asap
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Yikes! To the Avian Vet asap

Hi Martha, I am new to the forum and glad I saw your post. I know just enough about birds to know that you need to take both to an avian vet asap. I've had several parrots and have decided to go into my later years with 2 cockatiels instead of the bigger birds.

A fat bird might indicate fatty liver syndrome which can end in death. Budgies are prone to that illness as are cockatiels. If it is liver disease, it will require treatment and/or management of the illness. Their liver just fills up with fat and then it spills out into their bellies and chest and just keeps squeezing their organs, heart included. Can cause lots of trouble. Normal healthy birds are not fat.

The stinky runny poo is a red flag for sure! A bird's poo can be runny for a day or two but when it is stinky and if it has gone on for several days or longer, that is probably a bacterial or parasitic infection which will need tests and treatment. Normal healthy output from gastro tracts of birds should not stink and generally will not ever be consistently runny although I am sure someone somewhere will say that they have a 100 yr old bird that is perfectly healthy and squirts poo all day.

Birds generally don't show illness until just immediately before they die (puffed up feathers, sleeping all of the time, sitting on the bottom of the cage). It's just part of their makeup and flock behavior. A sick bird is often abandoned or chased away when in the wild flock because it invites predators. So they really try hard NOT to show any kind of illness. These little guys can seem ok one day and be on the bottom of the cage the next. Don't mean to scare you, but their problems require instant attention because it can all go downhill in a blink.

I strongly recommend that you find an avian vet because just a regular dog/cat vet doesn't usually know enough about bird illnesses to treat them properly. Or at least it is a crap shoot. In fact, I know of many birds that have actually been harmed by the treatment a "regular" vet ordered.

With I knew as much about ER and growing my $$$ as I do birds!
Good luck!

TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Strange but beautiful.

Murmuration on Vimeo
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Strange but beautiful.

Murmuration on Vimeo
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
+1 Very cool.

__________________ up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote