Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know without a doubt I will not live to be 113.
Pass the wine and dark chocolate please....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Orchidflower, I hate to pour cold water on your Luby's liver and onion memories, but alas, Luby's Cafeteria today isn't the Luby's you remember. The chain fell on hard times in the late 90's which, according to some theories, led to the 1997 suicide of John Curtis, the company CEO.

After a few more years of decline the chain was taken over by the Pappas brothers, Houston owners of several restaurant chains. Under their management the cafeterias almost crashed and burned but are now (or at least prior to the recent economic problems) doing better.

But the liver and onions as well as other traditional dishes on their menu just aren't the same. In the old days we ate there on a weekly basis. Now we rarely go - and when we do we are reminded of why.
What I remember about Luby's is that there was a TERRIBLE food poisoning incident at one of them, I think in the mid or late 1980's. I'm a little hazy about the details but I think several people died. Anyway, my ex would not set foot inside a Luby's because of that, fearing their food handling procedures, so I have never been to one.

I kept telling him that Texas really was part of the United States, and had restaurant health inspections and everything....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Orchidflower, I hate to pour cold water on your Luby's liver and onion memories, but alas, Luby's Cafeteria today isn't the Luby's you remember. The chain fell on hard times in the late 90's which, according to some theories, led to the 1997 suicide of John Curtis, the company CEO.

After a few more years of decline the chain was taken over by the Pappas brothers, Houston owners of several restaurant chains. Under their management the cafeterias almost crashed and burned but are now (or at least prior to the recent economic problems) doing better.

But the liver and onions as well as other traditional dishes on their menu just aren't the same. In the old days we ate there on a weekly basis. Now we rarely go - and when we do we are reminded of why.
Well, I will have to go someplace else in Houston then. I had company from Houston staying with me until this morning. Might visit them after the New Year. I told them I only want to go to GOOD Mexican places.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
What I remember about Luby's is that there was a TERRIBLE food poisoning incident at one of them, I think in the mid or late 1980's. I'm a little hazy about the details but I think several people died. Anyway, my ex would not set foot inside a Luby's because of that, fearing their food handling procedures, so I have never been to one.

I kept telling him that Texas really was part of the United States, and had restaurant health inspections and everything....
Are you sure you aren't confusing food poisoning with lead poisoning?

Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are you sure you aren't confusing food poisoning with lead poisoning?

That happened too!! But also there was a food poisoning incident that bothered my ex even more, honest! It is possible that only two or three people died in the food poisoning but that was enough for him. Besides, we moved there in 1984 and I never got to eat at a Luby's even once. It had to be somewhere between 1984-1988 or so.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Sure it was food poisoning? Wasn't lead poisoning?
Luby's can't catch a PR break....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If any liver and onion lovers here ever get to Texas, go to the Luby's cafeteria (which are all over the State and some others, too) and have their liver and onions. Best I've ever had!!! I miss it now.

I agree. L&O is Luby's best dish. By far.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sure it was food poisoning? Wasn't lead poisoning?
Luby's can't catch a PR break....
Quote:
That happened too!! But also there was a food poisoning incident that bothered my ex even more, honest! It is possible that only two or three people died in the food poisoning but that was enough for him. Besides, we moved there in 1984 and I never got to eat at a Luby's even once. It had to be somewhere between 1984-1988 or so.
That's the trouble with talking about a tragedy associated with a restaurant, that happened years BEFORE a much bigger and nationally publicized tragedy as in this case. It causes immediate erasal of everyone's memory of the prior, smaller tragedy.

Believe me, my ex was full of the "I told you so!"s after the massacre at Luby's. "See? If I hadn't put my foot down we might have been eating there during the massacre!"

I think the food poisoning was associated with fried chicken.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Sheesh - between my slow hunt n' pecking and the slow Wild Blue interweb connection i sure do look derivative as well as repetitive.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sheesh - between my slow hunt n' pecking and the slow Wild Blue interweb connection i sure do look derivative as well as repetitive.
Just when I was about to compliment you on your sharp thinking and razor wit...
Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yep, low grade minds think alike
Old 09-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Liver and onions is one of those things that goes in and out of fashion; I’d pick my health guru on that issue alone. Freebird, you are awful to describe that family table, I still remember those gobs of liver with strings attached, going from my mouth to Saint Lucky, the dog’s mouth. I can still taste it and feel the texture. It might depend on not overcooking it, mom made sure it was thoroughly cooked.

I knew there had to be someone out there who came up with the same trick.

I did confess the "L&O fake chew, cough, quickly to the dog" trick to my Mom when I was an adult, in one of those silly "Did you ever know that I did x or y or z ?" discussions with her. I had her groaning and laughing at the harmless plots I schemed up and got away with when I was younger.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I know without a doubt I will not live to be 113.
Pass the wine and dark chocolate please....
.... now as much as i like liver and onions... give me a nice cabernet.. shiraz.. chianti.... pinot noir... malbec... (you get the point) and a piece of a nice really dark chocolate... and hey... I am with bbbamI or my beautiful DW...

how can I lose...
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Well...hmmmm....errrr....ahem...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #35

Liver & onions is one of my favorite dishes. DW will never fix it in the house but we love it at restaurants. Mostly the mom and pop places. Never see it at up-scale places. When I was a kid during WWII, Mom would send me to the local store for "veal" liver (calf's liver). It was more tender but the grocer generally saved it for the older people. Thinking back it might have been rationed or you needed special stamps to get it. You were lucky to get veal liver and most of the time it was just plain beef liver. Still great with the grilled onions, mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum, yum!!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I love liver and onions, or fried chicken livers, or grilled liver kebobs. My Mom served one of these weekly, and we all looked forward to it.

I used to eat liver and onions at a joint in Everett I think named Sportsmen's Cafe. Since I moved south I haven't found a replacement, so I cook it from time to time. Generally I have to go to a Mexican Carniceria to buy it; it seems that all the Anglos who eat liver are gradually being composted or cremated.

ha
YEAH, ha! We are on the same wavelength.

Long ago, KFC in Baton Rouge used to sell chicken livers. Great memories.

I use chicken livers in my boudin blanc. Tried the pork liver first, per the classic recipe, but like the chicken livers better. Easier to find, too.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did the dog live to 113 in dog years? My mom served it to our family

Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #38

I too love L&O. But have cut it down to once a year treat for health reasons ... to much organ meat is not good for you, I hear.

I also love fried chicken livers and fried chicken gizzards ... fry up the hearts too while your at it. Don't eat these often either ... see reason number 1

Funny I just came across this post today. While in the store, I came across some pig kidneys and DW bought them and cooked them up today ... yum yum
At the same store, I found some goat heart/kidney/lung. DW said that I could only have one meal of organ meats ... and to choose. so piggy kidneys it was .
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I like liver and I used to order liver & onions at greasy spoons (I never could cook it right myself), but now with all the hormone injections into cattle and corn/soy being fed, I feel like all the bad stuff is concentrated in the organs, so I haven't had liver in a long time. Liver is supposed to have a very high nutritional value (tons of vitamin A and B's I think) but nowadays you hear it's too high in cholesterol, so who knows. Just like butter, organ meat may become a good thing soon...
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

I knew there had to be someone out there who came up with the same trick.

I did confess the "L&O fake chew, cough, quickly to the dog" trick to my Mom when I was an adult, in one of those silly "Did you ever know that I did x or y or z ?" discussions with her. I had her groaning and laughing at the harmless plots I schemed up and got away with when I was younger.

I don't like liver or onions (let alone together). Parents liked it. I simply refused to eat it.
"You won't get anything else to eat." 'Fine.'
"You won't get dessert." 'Fine.'