Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lightly floured chicken livers in a buttered cast iron skillet and put some chopped onion and big dollop of butter, caramelize the bottom, turn and repeat.

Grandmother is 91 yo and ate that all her life, looks like 100 is possible. Grandfather hated it, he died at 90, go figure.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

my 90yo dad lives with my wife and me. fwiw he will fix himself liver and onions with gravy and mashed potatoes for breakfest probably twice a week. we laugh when he says his mother told him he wold live to 110 and he says he never called his mother a lyer.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Pappas brothers who own some of the very best restaurants in Texas and other States? Even their worst restaurants are better than anyone else's. It's hard to believe those conscientious Greeks would allow one of their properties to crash and burn...however, with the economy--and probably overload of businesses--it happens.
I left in 2003. Can't remember if I had liver and onions there that year, but last time I had them at Luby's I couldn't see any difference.
If/when I ever get back to Houston I'll make a point to try their liver and onions. If they've slipped in quality I'll cry in my onions. They were the best.

Is there anyone who eats at Luby's on this board from Houston I wonder? It would be great to get an opinion from someone who eats at a Houston Luby's. I'm really grasping here ' cause they did have the best liver and onions and I'd love to have them again.

Wahoo, I'm hoping it's just in your area Luby's has slipped...I want my liver and onions! Whaaaaaaa!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #44

I am easily swayed, Orchidflower. If I ever get to Houston, I will try to get to Luby's for the liver and onions. I had friends from Houston staying with me recently and might visit them in the New Year. Well, actually, they live in Cypress which I understand is a suburb of Houston.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #45

Regarding Luby's killing people: I met a 20 year employee of Luby's at a real estate course. She was a food preparer and server. She told me that it was a STRICT rule of Luby's that the food be out only 2 hours. I guess the help takes what they want, and then the rest goes to the Mission for the homeless.
I was in Houston at time of this "poisoning" and I don't remember hearing or reading anything about that. The nut crashing into the glass window at Luby's in Waco with his truck and shooting people, yes, but not any food poisoning that killed anyone or even hurt anyone?
However, I can say I never once got sick on anything at Luby's. Just great liver and onions.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Regarding Luby's killing people: I met a 20 year employee of Luby's at a real estate course. She was a food preparer and server. She told me that it was a STRICT rule of Luby's that the food be out only 2 hours. I guess the help takes what they want, and then the rest goes to the Mission for the homeless.
When it says Luby's Luby's Luby's on the label label label....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I believe that jingle was for "Libby's"...
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I believe that jingle was for "Libby's"...
Uh, yeah. It was this thing called a "joke," see...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One man's joke is another man's opportunity to...uh...

Oh,

Old 09-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One man's joke...
Apparently flew like a lead Zeppelin.

"Led Zeppelin? Excellent!"