Birthday meal: liver and onions?

Liver & onions. It just feels like it's been 113 years.

Our childhood dog was very healthy...picture 5 kids at the dinner table pretending to eat L&O. When Mom wasn't looking directly at you, the fork in hand went to the mouth (pretended to chew), then with a nicely timed cough, L&O in mouth went into the hand which went directly to dog under the table. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I love liver and onions, or fried chicken livers, or grilled liver kebobs. My Mom served one of these weekly, and we all looked forward to it.

I used to eat liver and onions at a joint in Everett I think named Sportsmen's Cafe. Since I moved south I haven't found a replacement, so I cook it from time to time. Generally I have to go to a Mexican Carniceria to buy it; it seems that all the Anglos who eat liver are gradually being composted or cremated.

ha

Our childhood dog was very healthy...picture 5 kids at the dinner table pretending to eat L&O. When Mom wasn't looking directly at you, the fork in hand went to the mouth (pretended to chew), then with a nicely timed cough, L&O in mouth went into the hand which went directly to dog under the table. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Liver and onions is one of those things that goes in and out of fashion; I’d pick my health guru on that issue alone. Freebird, you are awful to describe that family table, I still remember those gobs of liver with strings attached, going from my mouth to Saint Lucky, the dog’s mouth. I can still taste it and feel the texture. It might depend on not overcooking it, mom made sure it was thoroughly cooked.:yuk:

Did the dog live to 113 in dog years?:) My mom served it to our family when I was a kid too. Never liked it. I do like a fried chicken liver(just 1 or 2) on occasion. But what southern boy doesn't like fried foods?:cool:

I've always liked livers of any kind. Once I went on a roadtrip with a girlfriend. We had lunch in a restaurant in a rural area, where I ordered liver. After we ate, my friend told me, "I didn't want to tell you when you were eating, but in our house only the dog eats liver."

I have thought recently that increasing environmental pollution may result in more mercury in livers, since that's where toxins are stored. I haven't done any research on this yet.

My mother used to cook liver and onions once every week or two weeks, and as kids we had to eat everything on our plates. I hated liver and onions, but didn't have much choice about it. My mother said it was important to have liver and onions often, for good nutrition. :rolleyes:

In adulthood, I kind of like liver and onions for some reason. Maybe that dish reminds me of my childhood. But I don't like it enough to actually cook it in my own home. Haven't had any for years. Don't intend to, either.

mmmmmmmmmmmm liver and onions and I even love fried chicken livers.... mmmmm I am hungry!

I love liver and onions. Haven't eaten it in many years. I also love chopped(chicken) livers smeared on to a bagel and even fois gras(eaten many years ago). I would say my favorite birthday meal would be crabcakes, fried oysters or a lobster with a brut champagne. I obviously won't be living to any 113.

I would say my favorite birthday meal would be crabcakes, fried oysters or a lobster with a brut champagne. I obviously won't be living to any 113.
Don't be so sure -- I've seen stories of "supercentenarians" (over age 110) and a fair number of them didn't shy away from fatty foods, chocolate or an occasional drink, and a handful of them even smoked. Imagine being their doctor. How do you tell a 110-year-old that they have to stop living an unhealthy lifestyle?

Don't be so sure -- I've seen stories of "supercentenarians" (over age 110) and a fair number of them didn't shy away from fatty foods, chocolate or an occasional drink, and a handful of them even smoked. Imagine being their doctor. How do you tell a 110-year-old that they have to stop living an unhealthy lifestyle?

Even if I knew that no matter what, I was destined to live to 113, I don't think I would take up smoking, drinking, more fatty foods, or more chocolate. Drinking, fatty foods, and chocolate are all fattening and obesity is no fun. Smoking (for me) results in getting pneumonia a lot, and that is no fun either.

I might do more brain teasers and other mental exercises, to stay sharp and aware for the next 52 years. And, I might think twice about a lifetime immediate inflation adjusted annuity...

If any liver and onion lovers here ever get to Texas, go to the Luby's cafeteria (which are all over the State and some others, too) and have their liver and onions. Best I've ever had!!! I miss it now.

Don't be so sure -- I've seen stories of "supercentenarians" (over age 110) and a fair number of them didn't shy away from fatty foods, chocolate or [-]an occasional drink[/-] numerous med's, and a handful of them even smoked. Imagine being their doctor. How do you tell a 110-year-old that they have to stop living an unhealthy lifestyle?

I'm currently on that program.;) No smoking though.

I have a generally healthy diet with occasional departures for special occasions foods. Tonight: sauteed grouper, a chunk of whole grain baguette, kimchee and a glass of sauvignon blanc. Later, some watermelon for dessert. Tomorrow, after a play, my cousin and I are going out to a yuppie Mexican place near the Pitt/CMU campus. We'll see what that is all about. She has been there before, I haven't. Whatever I am doing, it must be OK or I have good genetics, as I don't take any meds and my PCP finds me disgustingly healthy. Never smoked.

Orchidflower, I hate to pour cold water on your Luby's liver and onion memories, but alas, Luby's Cafeteria today isn't the Luby's you remember. The chain fell on hard times in the late 90's which, according to some theories, led to the 1997 suicide of John Curtis, the company CEO.

After a few more years of decline the chain was taken over by the Pappas brothers, Houston owners of several restaurant chains. Under their management the cafeterias almost crashed and burned but are now (or at least prior to the recent economic problems) doing better.

But the liver and onions as well as other traditional dishes on their menu just aren't the same. In the old days we ate there on a weekly basis. Now we rarely go - and when we do we are reminded of why. :(

I know without a doubt I will not live to be 113.
Pass the wine and dark chocolate please....:smitten:

Orchidflower, I hate to pour cold water on your Luby's liver and onion memories, but alas, Luby's Cafeteria today isn't the Luby's you remember. The chain fell on hard times in the late 90's which, according to some theories, led to the 1997 suicide of John Curtis, the company CEO.

After a few more years of decline the chain was taken over by the Pappas brothers, Houston owners of several restaurant chains. Under their management the cafeterias almost crashed and burned but are now (or at least prior to the recent economic problems) doing better.

But the liver and onions as well as other traditional dishes on their menu just aren't the same. In the old days we ate there on a weekly basis. Now we rarely go - and when we do we are reminded of why. :(

What I remember about Luby's is that there was a TERRIBLE food poisoning incident at one of them, I think in the mid or late 1980's. I'm a little hazy about the details but I think several people died. Anyway, my ex would not set foot inside a Luby's because of that, fearing their food handling procedures, so I have never been to one.

I kept telling him that Texas really was part of the United States, and had restaurant health inspections and everything.... ;)

Last edited:

Well, I will have to go someplace else in Houston then. I had company from Houston staying with me until this morning. Might visit them after the New Year. I told them I only want to go to GOOD Mexican places.

What I remember about Luby's is that there was a TERRIBLE food poisoning incident at one of them, I think in the mid or late 1980's. I'm a little hazy about the details but I think several people died. Anyway, my ex would not set foot inside a Luby's because of that, fearing their food handling procedures, so I have never been to one.

I kept telling him that Texas really was part of the United States, and had restaurant health inspections and everything.... ;)
Are you sure you aren't confusing food poisoning with lead poisoning?

Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you sure you aren't confusing food poisoning with lead poisoning?

Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That happened too!! But also there was a food poisoning incident that bothered my ex even more, honest! :2funny: It is possible that only two or three people died in the food poisoning but that was enough for him. Besides, we moved there in 1984 and I never got to eat at a Luby's even once. It had to be somewhere between 1984-1988 or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom