Join Early Retirement Today

Birthday meal: liver and onions?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #1

Birthday meal: liver and onions?

Two-meal diet aids in oldest man's longevity - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Breuning celebrated his 113th birthday with not one, but two cakes, one chocolate and one vanilla. And for his birthday lunch he got his favorite: liver and onions.
Yuck. Still, I guess I can't question the diet of a guy who lives to 113. Born in 1896 and still going -- good grief...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Liver & onions. It just feels like it's been 113 years.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Our childhood dog was very healthy...picture 5 kids at the dinner table pretending to eat L&O. When Mom wasn't looking directly at you, the fork in hand went to the mouth (pretended to chew), then with a nicely timed cough, L&O in mouth went into the hand which went directly to dog under the table.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My farmer GF refused to feed liver to a dog (or humans).
Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I love liver and onions, or fried chicken livers, or grilled liver kebobs. My Mom served one of these weekly, and we all looked forward to it.

I used to eat liver and onions at a joint in Everett I think named Sportsmen's Cafe. Since I moved south I haven't found a replacement, so I cook it from time to time. Generally I have to go to a Mexican Carniceria to buy it; it seems that all the Anglos who eat liver are gradually being composted or cremated.

ha
Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Our childhood dog was very healthy...picture 5 kids at the dinner table pretending to eat L&O. When Mom wasn't looking directly at you, the fork in hand went to the mouth (pretended to chew), then with a nicely timed cough, L&O in mouth went into the hand which went directly to dog under the table.
Liver and onions is one of those things that goes in and out of fashion; I’d pick my health guru on that issue alone. Freebird, you are awful to describe that family table, I still remember those gobs of liver with strings attached, going from my mouth to Saint Lucky, the dog’s mouth. I can still taste it and feel the texture. It might depend on not overcooking it, mom made sure it was thoroughly cooked.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Did the dog live to 113 in dog years? My mom served it to our family when I was a kid too. Never liked it. I do like a fried chicken liver(just 1 or 2) on occasion. But what southern boy doesn't like fried foods?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always liked livers of any kind. Once I went on a roadtrip with a girlfriend. We had lunch in a restaurant in a rural area, where I ordered liver. After we ate, my friend told me, "I didn't want to tell you when you were eating, but in our house only the dog eats liver."

I have thought recently that increasing environmental pollution may result in more mercury in livers, since that's where toxins are stored. I haven't done any research on this yet.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #9

I don't know what's worse, the smell or the taste.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I don't know what's worse, the smell or the taste.
Don't forget the icky texture!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Administrator

My mother used to cook liver and onions once every week or two weeks, and as kids we had to eat everything on our plates. I hated liver and onions, but didn't have much choice about it. My mother said it was important to have liver and onions often, for good nutrition.

In adulthood, I kind of like liver and onions for some reason. Maybe that dish reminds me of my childhood. But I don't like it enough to actually cook it in my own home. Haven't had any for years. Don't intend to, either.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

mmmmmmmmmmmm liver and onions and I even love fried chicken livers.... mmmmm I am hungry!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #13

I love liver and onions. Haven't eaten it in many years. I also love chopped(chicken) livers smeared on to a bagel and even fois gras(eaten many years ago). I would say my favorite birthday meal would be crabcakes, fried oysters or a lobster with a brut champagne. I obviously won't be living to any 113.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I would say my favorite birthday meal would be crabcakes, fried oysters or a lobster with a brut champagne. I obviously won't be living to any 113.
Don't be so sure -- I've seen stories of "supercentenarians" (over age 110) and a fair number of them didn't shy away from fatty foods, chocolate or an occasional drink, and a handful of them even smoked. Imagine being their doctor. How do you tell a 110-year-old that they have to stop living an unhealthy lifestyle?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Don't be so sure -- I've seen stories of "supercentenarians" (over age 110) and a fair number of them didn't shy away from fatty foods, chocolate or an occasional drink, and a handful of them even smoked. Imagine being their doctor. How do you tell a 110-year-old that they have to stop living an unhealthy lifestyle?
Even if I knew that no matter what, I was destined to live to 113, I don't think I would take up smoking, drinking, more fatty foods, or more chocolate. Drinking, fatty foods, and chocolate are all fattening and obesity is no fun. Smoking (for me) results in getting pneumonia a lot, and that is no fun either.

I might do more brain teasers and other mental exercises, to stay sharp and aware for the next 52 years. And, I might think twice about a lifetime immediate inflation adjusted annuity...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #16

If any liver and onion lovers here ever get to Texas, go to the Luby's cafeteria (which are all over the State and some others, too) and have their liver and onions. Best I've ever had!!! I miss it now.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #17

I have committed "Luby's" to my infallible(at least for food) steel-trap memory.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Don't be so sure -- I've seen stories of "supercentenarians" (over age 110) and a fair number of them didn't shy away from fatty foods, chocolate or an occasional drink numerous med's, and a handful of them even smoked. Imagine being their doctor. How do you tell a 110-year-old that they have to stop living an unhealthy lifestyle?
I'm currently on that program. No smoking though.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #19

I have a generally healthy diet with occasional departures for special occasions foods. Tonight: sauteed grouper, a chunk of whole grain baguette, kimchee and a glass of sauvignon blanc. Later, some watermelon for dessert. Tomorrow, after a play, my cousin and I are going out to a yuppie Mexican place near the Pitt/CMU campus. We'll see what that is all about. She has been there before, I haven't. Whatever I am doing, it must be OK or I have good genetics, as I don't take any meds and my PCP finds me disgustingly healthy. Never smoked.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Orchidflower, I hate to pour cold water on your Luby's liver and onion memories, but alas, Luby's Cafeteria today isn't the Luby's you remember. The chain fell on hard times in the late 90's which, according to some theories, led to the 1997 suicide of John Curtis, the company CEO.

After a few more years of decline the chain was taken over by the Pappas brothers, Houston owners of several restaurant chains. Under their management the cafeterias almost crashed and burned but are now (or at least prior to the recent economic problems) doing better.

But the liver and onions as well as other traditional dishes on their menu just aren't the same. In the old days we ate there on a weekly basis. Now we rarely go - and when we do we are reminded of why.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote