BKF is a BFD

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My bathtub was dirty. So I did a little research as to how to clean it and ending up using a cleanser called "Bar Keeper's Friend" (BKF) and a Drillbrush (a brush that attaches to a drill).

The end result, boy did it do a good job. The result was much more effective than just using regular cleanser or baking soda.

Now it's almost fun. When else do I get a chance to hook up a brush to a drill and start spinning that around in the bathtub? :LOL:

I'll let the maids handle this.

Feels good to not be afraid of using some elbow (in this case, drill) grease. Good for the soul :cool:.

You must have a porcelain finish tub. Mine would get scratched if I used BKF. :blink:
For the shower, Scrubbing Bubbles or plain Lysol bathroom cleaner is used. I rarely have to use any elbow grease with either of these cleaners. Spray it on, let it soak, rinse it off.
I do use BKF on all of my Revere copper bottomed pans, for inside and outside surfaces, approx once a month. They gleam like they are brand new. :cool:

Yes. My tub is porcelain. I had been using cleanser or baking soda with a hand scrub and getting that clean was a chore to say the least.

When you said Scrubbing Bubbles, that reminds me of trying to use the one (I think it was Scrubbing Bubbles brand, but I'm not sure) that you spray on and supposedly it'll self-clean -- man, that was a slip waiting to happen :eek:.

I haven't tried BKF on my pots and pans yet, but will have to give it a try.

I use BKF to clean my stainless steel appliances, sink, and pots. I also use it to clean my stove. I use Scrubbing Bubbles in the shower though.

I'm using BKF to prep the fiberglass skin of my RV prior to wiping on four coats of this stuff. Thankfully I only need to do a light scrubbing with the BKF - I can only last for 2 to 3 hours in the early AM before it gets too hot. I'm about 50% done... :p

I'm using BKF to prep the fiberglass skin of my RV prior to wiping on four coats of this stuff. Thankfully I only need to do a light scrubbing with the BKF - I can only last for 2 to 3 hours in the early AM before it gets too hot. I'm about 50% done... :p

Do you think this combination would work on an old and badly oxidized fiberglass canoe?

Cheers!

Do you think this combination would work on an old and badly oxidized fiberglass canoe?
All the folks who try it on the RV forums rave about how well it works, even those with older, heavily oxidized units. Although I've not read about anyone using it on a watercraft, Zep is said to be very similar in composition to a product specifically made for boats and costs far less.

Last edited:
So would BKF or Poli-Glow clean up a white fiberglass whirlpool tub? At this point the red-dirt stains on the tub's pebble-finish bottom sort of add to the decor, but I'm always looking for something that doesn't damage the fiberglass finish...

So would BKF or Poli-Glow clean up a white fiberglass whirlpool tub? At this point the red-dirt stains on the tub's pebble-finish bottom sort of add to the decor, but I'm always looking for something that doesn't damage the fiberglass finish...
A good scrubbing with BKF won't hurt it but I'm not sure how well Poliglow or Zep would do as a polish on the bottom of a tub. Probably be very slippery...

A good scrubbing with BKF won't hurt it but I'm not sure how well Poliglow or Zep would do as a polish on the bottom of a tub. Probably be very slippery...
So BKF will be better at removing the red dirt, and Poliglow or Zep would just be better at making the red dirt slippery.

Our water conditioner stops most of the minerals before they enter the house, and we wipe down the walls after a shower. So the only part that really needs help is the bottom of the tub.

Back
Top Bottom