Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Black Friday 2007 stories.. Post them here!

here are a few stories of folks....

This one is depressing:

had a $300 gift card from the Circuit City Vonage deal so I decided to get something there. I came into Circuit City at 2:30am and I saw about 200 people waited on line. Got my folding beach chair and sat. Waited for 30 minutes until 3am and noticed people started skipping lines and ran in front of the store to get vouchers for those early bird specials. After that, there is no line. People kept cramming in front of the stores and wanted vouchers for the $299 laptop, $399 32" lcd tv, etc. It has gotten so bad that people were shoving the person who was given out vouchers for the lcd tv so he didn't give out any.

5am comes around when the person at CC started opening the door people started in the back started shoving the people in the front to get in. Imagine about 300 people keep pushing the line so that they can get into the store. The people at CC refused to allow people in so electronic sliding door was literally broken. I was fortunate that I was close to the 2nd set of sliding door and I was able to get inside the store relatively early after about an hour of pushing and shoving.

Unfortunately, they gave out all the vouchers for the $299 laptops so I couldn't get one, but I was able to get the 32" lcd tv because they didn't hand out the vouchers for that one. I forgot to use my 10% of TV coupon because I was so exhausted being a compressed sardine for 2 hours. By the time I told the CC salesperson about it, he told me to come back later for a price adjustment. At least I was able to get my tv using my $300 gift card. BTW, while this whole incident happened, the cops were there, but they did nothing about this.

This happened in Gateway Mall in Brooklyn, and the only reason why I was there was because my friend is going there. I am never going back there for another BF again.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pretty sad state of affairs we've come to, isnt it?

We were up at 4:30, but going out and standing in line in the dark for a shot to buy an old model tv or crappy laptop never seemed like a good idea.

But it sure sounds great to hear about all the folks ready to spend money and spur on the economy... :

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #43
Administrator

Well, and then there are the rest of us, who are actively avoiding the malls this weekend....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Black Friday 2007 stories.. Post them here!

here are a few stories of folks....

had a great time today woke up at 7:00 am and read the paper
Old 11-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

A mall not too many miles from our abode has not closed the past couple of days. At 10 pm last night, the stores closed but the mall stayed open. They provided music and other types of entertainment until 1 am...that's when the stores opened!

I do have to admit that hubby and I went shopping this afternoon...the semi annual trip for whiskey, tequila and wine.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Martha !
You are my idol ! A real shopper not one of these wishy washy internet types .I personally never shop before 10 am so that lets me out of the Black Friday fun .
Old 11-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

We went surfing at 8:30 AM. And, yes, there was a monk seal in the water in front of us, and it hauled out 30 feet away for a nap.

But anyway the drive to the beach was an interesting exercise in avoiding traffic jams... and we hardly saw any. If today is supposed to determine the rest of the year's retail results then maybe the economy is already flirting with a recession?

We went by our neighborhood Wal-Mart at 8:30-- no crowds, parking lot not even full. We went by Costco at 8:40 -- no crowds, but maybe they weren't open (couldn't tell). Waikele Shopping Center had a full lot at 8:45 and the highway was backed up a half-mile at 11:45-- who knows what K-Mart was selling? Wal-Mart wasn't full at 11:55.

We went out again for the kid's dental appointment (note to self: don't let the kid schedule her dental appointments). Pearlridge Shopping Center wasn't gridlocked at either one of their usual exits. More people seemed to be waiting in line at the UH-Boise tailgaters than for parking spaces at Toys 'R' Us. Costco wasn't even crowded at 3 PM.

Normally after Thanksgiving we hunker down at home until January, but this year I might even be ready to brave Home Depot on Monday or Tuesday...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, i was sucked in AGAIN. We went to Target to snag a 19" LCD and a GPS (both xmas presents for me that I already figured out!!)

Well, lets just say I ended up with a 37" LCD and am $500 poorER than I intended....not just $500 poorer- but $500 poorer above and beyond my initial spending plans!! the upgrade to a bigger TV, some toys, a trip to wally world, the mall etc did it!!

but what in the world beats watching a 37" LCD in your 12x15 bedroom lol? Perhaps watching the 65" Mitsubishi in the living room....but the bed sure is nice....

I got the 27" olevia for $540 and then saved 10% for signing up for a Target card...soo $500 to em was too good to pass up

And I got to use a saying I learned on here in the "Favorite Sayings" thread

"A BARGAIN is something you really dont need, at a price you can't resist!"
Old 11-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
More people seemed to be waiting in line at the UH-Boise tailgaters than for parking spaces at Toys 'R' Us.
Hey, you gotta respect a football team with a head coach named June. Wonder if June inspired Shel Silverstein to write "A Boy Named Sue"?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
but what in the world beats watching a 37" LCD in your 12x15 bedroom lol?
Having a 55" Lcos set in your 18x25 bedroom.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

DD worked at Target at 6:30 or maybe even earlier. She said it wasn't too busy at all, she didn't think they advertised too much like some of the stores do, and her store isn't that close to anything else for the people who want to hit multiple stores. I suppose I should've gone out and used her discount plus their sale but I don't particularly like shopping, especially in stores (as opposed to online), and I hate crowds, so I skipped it. There's also really not anything big ticket I'm looking for right now. She may have picked up a movie or two but she had a school activity and couldn't stay long after work.

Next year, I'm going to get an HDTV big screen. The question will be whether to find a decent price before football season, or hold out for a holiday sale next year. Do they generally run sales on older models?

And is this really a good deal for stores? Are people going in and buying other stuff too, or are they just getting the stuff at near wholesale prices, which means that they aren't making much on profits, and may be cannibalizing sales for the rest of the holidays?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I did some shopping here, but not the early morning stuff. Managed to get a few good deals along the way.

1. Pair of shoes normally priced $65 marked on sale for 50% off or $32.50 at Belk. Get to the register and find out its 30% off of that for a total of $24 including tax. I buy a pair of shoes about every other year, so this was a good find.
2. 16" Chainsaw and floor jack at Sears. 2.5 ton low lift for $20 and a $10 off coupon just for shopping. The $10 coupon was really cool shopping incentive. It didn't have to be on sale.
3. Air compressor on Amazon for $250 that was regularly priced at $500.

The last 2 were things that I have been looking at for awhile, just decided to finally pull the trigger on them.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Having a 55" Lcos set in your 18x25 bedroom.
Am I mistaken in thinking that LCOS is an orphaned technology due to its inability to obtain high contrast ratios and its limited lamp life of 1500 hrs or so? Or maybe it was 10,000 hrs?

really, I am asking, not being sarcastic
Old 11-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #54

I did go to the mall but not before 11.00 a.m. I didn't actually purchase anything, I went round to the stores to do some price checking and managed to get a refund for some shopping I did last weekend and the items went on sale today.

I did do a bit of online shopping yesterday, nothing I really needed but a few nice soaps and body cremes that were featured on Oprah's list for the best of 2007.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Wouldn't trade it for a 7 am mall rush for any kind of a deal.
Sandy, 7 am is sooo 2005... we're up to 4 am now!

um, 4 am I was snoozing well after my thanksgiving dinner and 2nd round of seconds...guess that would have made it my thirds...

did have to be brave and head down to the super outlet mall since it's our son's bday next week and i thought tonite would be better than the weekend (and of course, i hadn't gone earlier!)- and in the evening all the bug eyed nutso shoppers were long gone. this outlet mall, by the way, is blocks and blocks big - has parking forever and at 7 pm was nearly full (only empty spaces here or there)...so akin to a busy saturday around here.

had a fussy toddler, but otherwise we got out of there with all the children - and in one piece (me at least)...

i read in the ny times article that comp usa had a 9pm turkey day-of sale and people were in line at 5pm! and given the limited quantities, many did not get what they wasted their holiday for...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Martha !
You are my idol ! A real shopper not one of these wishy washy internet types .I personally never shop before 10 am so that lets me out of the Black Friday fun .
Oops after rereading the post I realized it was just some anonymous shopper .Sorry ! I had a really long day with traveling yesterday .
Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

We were out taking pictures for our Christmas card. Here's one of the rejects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunOnLagoon.jpg (200.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, you gotta respect a football team with a head coach named June.
I understand Jones had a choice of taking over one of the nation's worst losing college football programs for a few hundred thousand a year... or the San Diego Chargers for a few million. So he already knew how to make smart decisions. A couple speed bumps when he got here, but he seems like a pretty regular guy. Anyone who boogie-boards at Sandy's can't be all bad.

Jones is getting a lot of props for taking a knee just outside Boise's end zone in the last minute and not running up the score. He agreed it may cost ranking points and the QB a Heisman but he thinks they've done enough to make their point. Locals would be impressed by a Mainland bowl game or a Heisman but they'll be talking about that classy last play for decades.

People around here are starting to behave like 1970s Steeler fans. Our tae kwon do dojang's owner was "running" the sparring last night, but he kept ducking into his office for a score update or having the parents relay reports. His spouse did more sparring last night than he did...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #59

cousins (one from here & one in from washington d.c.) came over and took me to lunch (mine was under $7). we stayed out of the right hand lane on the way to the beach so as to avoid what little traffic trickled into the galleria mall. enjoyed a second floor window seat overlooking the ocean, beach & state road a1a activity. later that evening i ran out to whole foods for some unsalted pistachio nuts ($18.22).

so on black friday i contributed about total $25 to the economy. just doing my part.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Am I mistaken in thinking that LCOS is an orphaned technology due to its inability to obtain high contrast ratios and its limited lamp life of 1500 hrs or so? Or maybe it was 10,000 hrs?

really, I am asking, not being sarcastic
My old company made a fair number of the lcos chips (another stupid use of profit dollars IMO). There were two problems with early lcos sets, one was poor yields on the chips themselves and early failures of the silicon, the other was a bad batch of bulbs in a wide range of the early adopted JVC sets, which JVC exacerbated by pretending it wasnt their fault and forcing customers to jump through hoops to get a good bulb or spend money buying a new one.

Some early and cheap sets suffered from low contrast but newer ones actually have some impressive "true" contrast ratios...true meaning "not made up from some sort of test in a lab that the actual user will never get close to".

In general the technology is capable of much higher, much more finely grained output, and changing the bulb nets you effectively a brand new tv set from a display perspective. We like our set a lot, its got a hell of a picture.

All of the benefits looked good on paper, but the original manufacturers not getting profit margins on the yields, bad bulbs and high prices pretty much doomed it vs the easier to manufacture, well accepted lcd and dlp technologies. That and only Sony and JVC did much with the product and their LCD and DLP sets were a lot cheaper.

So far three years of regular use and no blown bulb yet. I'll replace the bulb in it once and then get something else. I only bought this one because it was sitting in the aisle in Sams Club with a 50% off clearance sticker because it was the last one, had a "Broken Stand" and I knew the model was new enough to not have the bad bulb. The "Broken Stand" turned out to be someone trying to put the screws into it with a power drill and spun them out. A little glue and some dowels and its better than original.