Join Early Retirement Today

Black Friday
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Black Friday

Who is going? How many hostages are you taking with you? Who is supplying the 2 way radio?
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never gone shopping on the day after Thanksgiving and never will. I hate shopping and don't even want to see major throngs.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2 veterans reporting for duty, SIR !! Our mission begins at oh-four-hundred and will continue until all objectives are met. Details to follow a thorough investigation of the online ads
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

We camp over Thanksgiving each year at a beach that has been rated as one of the best in the nation.

Empty sand dunes (no buildings in sight), few people, great beach walking, sunrises, and sunsets; beautiful stars/milkyway; and lots of relaxation. Wouldn't trade it for a 7 am mall rush for any kind of a deal.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #5

It's more like Black Wed for me. Thanksgiving eve my stepdaughters and I head out to the stores, they are practically deserted, all the specials are on the shelves and ready for the big day, most times we can talk them into giving us the deals that night, sometimes we get an extra discount because the 4 of us have so much fun with the staff. It was a great bonding thing for the girls and I when I married dh. I also know everyone is going to get something they want for Christmas. It started out to help me buy gifts for the grandkids, they're all grown and in college now but we still get together to shop, it's a nice tradition for us women and a night out without the guys.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I understand this correctly, your Black Friday is the same as our Boxing Day Sale?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We won't be shopping at all! With any luck, we'll be in southern Missouri scoping out some retirement locations. So yes, we'll be spending money but it will be on food and lodging.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I am more of a "Cyber Monday" type, myself.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

cmon guys where is the spirit here? Lots of free stuff for the ER and not a bad days work for an hour or 2 shopping but the wait is the ***@$.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #10

I still don't get the point? Life is too short to deal with big crowds in order to shop.

Brewer is right, I'm doing it all online.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I will be away that day so no shopping for me but I have been known to hit the stores on Black Friday .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Our tradition includes a hike in the desert on the Friday after T-day. With, of course, turkey sandwiches for lunch.

The only "sale" item that I might consider buying on the day after is a frozen turkey, and the grocery stores are usually pretty quiet. Otherwise, there is nothing that will provoke me to wade through Black Friday's manic crowds.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have never gone shopping on the day after Thanksgiving and never will. I hate shopping and don't even want to see major throngs.
i had to open this thread just to know what black friday is. (i thought maybe stocks were taking another dive.)

i agree 110% with donheff. isn't that the day that the newscasts send helicopters to show pictures of mall parking lots?

participating in that would be like watching on tv a major accident on the interstate, leaving your house, getting into the car, and purposely driving onto the interstate so that you can sit in traffic.

i must be a little slow because this is beyond my comprehension.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The news media continue to call it the busiest shopping day of the year, although that day in fact falls on a weekend day one or two weeks before Christmas.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Already did my Black Friday shopping. Saw someone's post here about a laptop special at Walmart...$348 Acer. Went to black-friday.net/ad/ and checked it out. Ad said it was amd, but turned out to be intel-celeron. Only time I ever did the 5 am wait outside the store so I could "run" for an item...it was a laptop.

BTW, Walmart asked to be removed from black-friday.net/ad/. May be a coincidence, but lots of the same computer I got wound up on e-bay on the same day as the "sale"...and Walmart is no longer permitting its ads to show up on the site...hmmm.

Who did I hijack? Well, I was going to lunch with three friends and I asked if we could leave 30 min early so we could stop by Walmart. Nice friends, said OK. My Walmart had the laptop as an "in store special, unadvertised" item. They still had 3 when I got there at 11:30.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i had to open this thread just to know what black friday is. (i thought maybe stocks were taking another dive.)
I opened this thread when no one had responded and didn't know which direction it was supposed to go...so I exited and waited for a post or two to show up to know if it was a doomday or shopping thread.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
What he said.

Hate shopping
Hate crowds
Hate holiday schlock
Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
cmon guys where is the spirit here? Lots of free stuff for the ER and not a bad days work for an hour or 2 shopping but the wait is the ***@$.
My spirit will probably be surfing its butt off from Thursday morning through Sunday afternoon. I've been reprieved of turkey-chef duty. We got invited to a neighbor's T-day dinner party so all we have to do is cook dessert-- yahoo!

You go ahead without us, good buddy, and don't worry, we'll be thinking about you among the seething crush of humanity standing in line...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Never been tempted. Last year I did everything online. Very peaceful. This year, we already have our gifts and don't need anything else.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #20

No! No! No!
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote