Join Early Retirement Today

"Black Friday" Shopping Deals
Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"Black Friday" Shopping Deals

For all you frugal shoppers out there, here is a website that is supposed to have the inside scoop on the special deals individual retailers will be offering on "black friday".

http://www.blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

Disclaimer: Don't know anything about the site, was just told about it by a friend.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Black Friday" Shopping Deals
Old 11-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The one day I never shop is the day after Thanksgiving. Too scary and crowded out there. I'd rather work.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
The one day I never shop is the day after Thanksgiving.* Too scary and crowded out there.* I'd rather work.*
Or shop online...
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the BF website - lots of shopping there!

Black Friday is getting to be a tradition for son and I - we get up very early and hit a few stores - come back with half a dozen bags full of stuff we use (Norton and Quicken yearly updates, CR and DVD RWs, hard drives, etc.) and spend under 100$ after rebates - The wives don't come along...

Great fun and we're back before the rest of the kids and grandkids are out of bed.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Several years back our kid really wanted to shop on Black Friday. We couldn't talk her out of it, especially when Toys 'R' Us has its 10-pound "big book of holiday gimmes" in every Sunday paper this time of year.

Then we realized that, as parents of an eight-year-old, we really had no better use of our time and no better place to homeschool a life lesson. If that's what she really wanted to do with her time and her money, then the least we could do was provide transportation & personal security.

So, she took her savings in for a skateboard that she just had to have. We arrived about 10 minutes after opening (hey, I'm wasting my time but I'm not going to risk my life). Entrance to exit took over three hours (and two trips to the bathroom).

The skateboard was traded away long ago, but today she still talks about the shopping experience. And she's thrilled to find great deals at Goodwill & garage sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Or shop online...
We found the wireless RF headphones of our dreams-- for $100 at Best Buy. I ended up buying on eBay for $38/pair, including shipping. They arrived last week and all I have to do now is hide them for another six weeks...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Entrance to exit took over three hours (and two trips to the bathroom).
"They" cant afford for me to stand around for 3 hrs.* *They'd have to pay me $90 dollars just to make up for that.* (I'm worth ~ 30/hr).

Time is money!* Chop chop!
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #7

When they first started those early hour after Thanksgiving day sales I took part, having 25 children and adults to aquire gifts for made the savings worthwhile. As the children have grown I have moved to GCs, much easier and everyone gets what they want. My dh still has two grandchildren under 10 so that will be an evening shopping with their mother. I can totally understand the "tradition" of going that day or for the savings, other than those two reasons I see no need to put myself in that kind of peril.

I've found the best night to shop is Thanksgiving Eve, not a sole in the stores and driving home all I can smell is apple pies baking. Also if you tell the clerks you have to work on Turkey day they will usually give you some kind of discount.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
As the children have grown I have moved to GCs, much easier and everyone gets what they want.
Wal-Mart or Home Depot gift cards.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote