Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #41
Administrator

Shopping? You mean in public with all those other crazed people? uh... no.

Raking leaves today
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stopped down to the PX, bought an iPad for DIL and a Surface II to. Replace my older one. Both for less than $500. Went at 7am, so no drama, really, in and out. Hit Starbucks also, regular coffee and still under $500!!
RetireBy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I aren't in the acquisition phase. We did our regular grocery shopping and made a stop at Trader Joe's to pick up more Pecan Pie ice cream. DH is on meds that depress his appetite so I try to keep calorie-dense foods around that he likes. This was a big hit; his 3rd carton in a couple of weeks. The store had only average traffic.

Tomorrow I'll do the AE Small Business deals; I've been waiting for this to try a scotch whisky that's made in Bangalore and is highly-rated. I'll get a $10 credit for that, one at a local grocery store buying things we would have gotten anyway, and another $10 at a place that sells fancy olive oils. I'm sure I can find a use for a garlic-infused version!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We're wrapping up a DIY project at home. Plan to stop by Lowes and purchase 200 sq. feet of tile and grout for the new mud room.
KrissK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
a scotch whisky that's made in Bangalore and is highly-rated.
In what part of Scotland is Bangalore located?

Scotch whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Scotch whisky, often simply called Scotch, is malt whisky or grain whisky made in Scotland.

The SWR define "Scotch whisky" as whisky that is:[1][3]
  • Produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #46

Not a shopper by nature, and make a point every year of staying out of all brick-and-mortar stores from Wednesday night before Thanksgiving until the following Monday so as to avoid the mayhem.

This morning spent 30 minutes online purchasing small Christmas presents for two youngsters. No deals other than Amazon's usual discounts. That was the entirety of the holiday shopping - done.

Tomorrow I will attend a Christmas concert for children at the local arts center with the coolest 7-year-old kid I know. Two tickets: $16. Experience: Priceless.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
In what part of Scotland is Bangalore located?

Scotch whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forgive me, RonBoyd, for I have sinned... I suppose that's like referring to the lovely sparkling wine we get from Missouri as "Champagne"! I've been to Bangalore and I've been to Scotland and yeah, they're a few miles apart.

BTW, if you're into the stuff, there's a wonderful store called Cadenhead's in Edinburgh (affiliated with The Tasting Room in London, which sells the same merchandise). They sell whisky from many of the great distilleries such as Laphroagh and Highland Park. dumped straight from the cask to a bottle. No blending (even within the same malting), no filtering, no dilution. Wonderful.

OK, here's what I'm getting. I will heretofore refer to it as "whisky".

Amrut Single Malt Cask Strength Whisky - Master of Malt
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
OK, here's what I'm getting. I will heretofore refer to it as "whisky".
(Yes. We Scots are touchy about such things. <grin>)

Thank you for the find. I will look for it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #49

The only thing I went out for today was the gym. Not at all crowded.

What little shopping we do this year will be for the grandnieces, ages 5 and 9. Their parents have said they don't want more stuff, but experiences. We chipped in with SIL to buy them a Polar Express train ride in December and we might do the Harper's Ferry zip line again or something similar to that.

Oh, and I need a new pair of slippers. My current ones had a blowout and my toes stick out and get cold. I'm sure I'll find them online on sale somewhere in the next month.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

42 Million Dead In Bloodiest Black Friday Weekend On Record | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

"So you don't have to...."

We did go to the outdoor mall. Parked very far away on purpose so got some good walking recorded on the Fitbits. No more crowded than on a typical Sunday, but tons more salespeople--some of the stores would have seemed empty without them (yes Apple store, I am looking right at you). Not a lot of good sales, interestingly--we didn't buy much. Now we are rewarding ourselves with a fire and a nice little dinner of pork chops in a sour cream and dill sauce over rice, followed by an episode of Inspector George Gently on Netflix.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just wondering what kind of shopping plans folks have today and what Black Friday deals they are targeting. I prefer to stay at home on this particular day, sometimes traffic gets a bit crazy, but I will be going to the car doctor, and DW has an errand or two.

Edit to add: car doctor said to stay at home, tow the car in Monday morning. Looks like I'll be staying in the whole weekend.
I only do my Black Friday shopping online!

My tea supplier announced 15% off everything and free shipping above $50 through this weekend.

Best Buy has $75 off iPad minis, but I guess they couldn't handle it, because their site was down this afternoon.

Apple Online Store had $50 iTunes gift card type rebate for today only on select items. This is the only day they ever give any kind of discount.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm trying to check Best Buy to see if the laptop I bought my son for his 30th birthday is now on sale. If it is, I'll bring down the receipt later today to get a bargain.

Unfortunately the Best Buy website has been down for the last 1.5 hours.

EDIT: Best Buy site up. No bargains.
DW just came in door having bought at incredible art canvas sale at local art supply store. Absolute chaos according to DW. But artists are generally nice people. You will not see this on the nightly news.
LOL! The Best Buy site went down again this afternoon! Shocking!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

The state owned liquor stores had 10% off everything today. I thought about going, but the local ski slope had its earliest opening today, so I did that instead, then watched football. I'm probably driving through Kentucky next month anyway, I think that's cheaper.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #55

I went to a grocery store for milk.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Ace Hardware had a 50% off one item coupon for Black Friday, so I bought a yard ornament for a Christmas gift with it. I got DH to go along and look at the hiking sticks, and we bought one of those, too. We went in the evening and it was no busier than any regular shopping day.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

No way I'd go to any big city shopping mall today. (Or this weekend)

We drove into Houston yesterday for Thanksgiving dinner with the family and drove by a couple of the malls. At ~3pm I saw "100's" of people standing in line waiting for the stores to open.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Our plan for today was to stay as far away from any shopping madness as possible. We went hiking instead and were surprised to see more people than usual on the trail.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

No shopping, but we stopped by a local microbrewery for a beer after dinner. Place was so crowded, SRO with peeps outside (it's cold here), that we just drove on by. Never seen it that crowded!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Made 3 small purchases at participating local businesses today. AMEX sent me 3 separate e-mails promising $10.00 credits within 90 days.

We seldom frequent the businesses in question because their prices seem high, but the incentive was irresistible!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote