Join Early Retirement Today

Black Friday shopping plans
Old 11-28-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
Administrator

Black Friday shopping plans

Just wondering what kind of shopping plans folks have today and what Black Friday deals they are targeting. I prefer to stay at home on this particular day, sometimes traffic gets a bit crazy, but I will be going to the car doctor, and DW has an errand or two.

Edit to add: car doctor said to stay at home, tow the car in Monday morning. Looks like I'll be staying in the whole weekend.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I need to change the oil in my riding mower and may try to get to an auto parts store just inside the city limits to buy a replacement filter. I'm pretty sure it isn't one of their doorbusters...
Old 11-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

With the exception of a possible grocery run, I plan to keep a minimum distance of 1 mile from any physical shopping venues until Monday. However, I might do some internet shopping, or at least browsing for gift ideas today.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Stayed at home - shopped online
Old 11-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Stayed at home - shopped online

We did ours last night at Best Buy online. Purchased a new all-in-one PC (our 4 year old PC gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago), a GPS and a UPS)

Very good prices, and no need to be apart of the chaos on the show room floor
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I went out for sandpaper. What a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I plan to avoid the consumption orgy. #zombieapocolypse.

Of all our modern idiosyncronicities, I think one reflects most poorly on our culture. And the move to make people come to work retail on thanksgiving makes me nuts.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have to go to the airport to pick up the in-laws. Other than that we are staying out of the fray.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We will try our luck with Small Business Saturday and our new AMEX card. We need a couple of small hardware items, and I want some non-sulfur-dioxide-preserved dried fruit from the expensive health food place. If SBS turns out like Ronstar's BF experience, we will just go home.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

I owe my soul to the Amazon Store. Free Kindle Apps, a $49 Kindle reader for a Christmas gift, a bed jacket for my sister (not on sale).
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I plan to avoid the consumption orgy. #zombieapocolypse.

Of all our modern idiosyncronicities, I think one reflects most poorly on our culture. And the move to make people come to work retail on thanksgiving makes me nuts.
It's a "Shopocolypse"!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Oe5TTkInKi8
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with Krotoole.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
First time I've heard of this. It's a activist website. From Wikipedia Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The Church of Stop Shopping is an activist performance group based in New York City, led by Reverend Billy, the stage name of Bill Talen. Using the form of a revivai meeting, on sidewalks and in chain stores, Reverend Billy and his gospel choir exhort consumers to abandon the products of large corporations and mass media

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
First time I've heard of this. It's a activist website. From Wikipedia Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
....as Reverend Billy is oft to say, "PUT DOWN THAT CREDIT CARD! There is life after shopping!"

Billy's message of anti-consumerism is one that many debt enslaved Americans could benefit from.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #14

I stay as far away from malls as possible.

I was hoping the nexus 5 phone would be available from google play (it's been out of stock ever since I identified it as the phone that will work with ting (sprint network CDMA) and in europe next summer. Apparently only nexus 5's purchased from the google play store will work on Ting's network (vs spring or att/tmobile purchased phones) so buying used has added risk. Unfortunately, it's still out of stock.

I've never done black friday shopping and don't plan to start now.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I don't plan to shop in person today because I don't like desperate crowds of half crazy shoppers. But I will check out some online websites like Amazon because I am in full consumer mode this year. The booming market plus starting SS this year are at least partly responsible for that

So far, I haven't seen anything that has tempted me even one bit. There are lots of cheap TVs out there but I just got a new one last year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I really don't have anything that I'm looking to buy at the moment.

I don't mind browsing. But any browsing, I'm doing online to stay away from the madness of Black Friday crowds.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm trying to check Best Buy to see if the laptop I bought my son for his 30th birthday is now on sale. If it is, I'll bring down the receipt later today to get a bargain.

Unfortunately the Best Buy website has been down for the last 1.5 hours.

EDIT: Best Buy site up. No bargains.
DW just came in door having bought at incredible art canvas sale at local art supply store. Absolute chaos according to DW. But artists are generally nice people. You will not see this on the nightly news.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

11 Economic Lessons to Make You a Smarter Shopper For Black Friday - The Atlantic

Quote:
When you hit the stores this weekend, remember three things: Shopping is a sport, this is its Super Bowl, and retailers are better at playing it than you.

Black Friday isn't for you. It's for the stores.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'm celebrating my 15th year of "buy nothing day" on Black Friday. I also avoid going out on the saturday and sunday that follow.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
Administrator

Good list

― Rudiger Dornbusch