Join Early Retirement Today

Black listed dog and home insurance
Old 05-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Black listed dog and home insurance

So who knew that our shepherd mix had some Akita in him; we had a DNA test done for info and turns out he has a few different breeds mixed in him including Akita. My home owner's insurance company black lists several breeds including Akitas (or a mix of the black listed breeds). They said they cannot insure me

Does anyone know if there are companies that will insure even if it's with some additional cost. I'd hate to take the pooch back to the pound. If I did he'll be the poster child for the riches-to-rags story amongst his pooch buddies that's for sure!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow. I'd voluntarily drop any insurance company that had such a policy. You'll probably do well to shop around to compare prices. Please keep the poor dog!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

I was surprised to find this out myself. I never knew insurance companies cared what breed your dog was but I guess I can see with so much media coverage on certain breeds and dog attacks. Apparently this a common practice for many insurance companies. Here's a blog post from Progressive:

@Progressive Blog - How Does Home Insurance Cover Pets?

Don't worry, the dog's staying On the other hand the insurance company's got to go even if they've given me the cheapest rates over the years.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Why on earth did you go there? The dog is a shepherd mix. That's all they had to know.

There are lists of insurance companies that will insure you if you have a blacklisted dog. You can usually find one at a rescue group that takes pits and pit mixes, although I can't find it at the moment. The Akita rescues or perhaps the breeder's association should have a list as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

No wonder Ms G keeps me on a short chain.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used to have American Family, they had the same type of limitations, don't know if it's by insurer, state?
MRG
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Run another test from a different company and you might get different results.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #8

I think this varies quite a bit by insurer. We had a purebred Akita a few years back and didn't have a problem finding an insurance company who wanted our business.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

I recently switched to State Farm for homeowners insurance after our previous company added breed restrictions. You might look into them.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

I don't believe my Allstate agent ever asked me a question about pets. We just bought a homeowner's policy a few months ago.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #11

I had a chow chow for many years and ran into the same issue with some homeowners insurance. Chows are normally very aloof, and do not ever want to be approached by a stranger. My Roxanne never bit anyone but clearly showed her disdain for people she didn't know, as do most chows.

Eventually I called State Farm and stayed with them for many years.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nationwide never asked about pets until I applied for an umbrella policy. Then I was asked more personal questions than would be required for a security clearance! The questions included whether we owned certain specific breeds of dog. I don't remember what they were (we don't have a dog).

Amethyst
Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm with Costco/Ameripr and pay $1k for Auto (2 cars, 1 driver) and $1k for home insurance. The $1k for Auto is much cheaper than other companies when I shopped around. I'm thinking I may move just the home insurance to another company.

Also, if you say your dog is a 'mix' of any kind they want to know what that mix is.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

Amethyst, that's how this came up for me too. I called about Umbrella and this was one of many questions they asked. We didn't have a dog when I originally got the home insurance so they may have asked then too but don't recall.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Are you absolutely positive the dog has some Akita bred in him?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #16

I'm with Erie Insurance Group, and I remember them amending my policy a few years ago, listing that their would be a surcharge for certain dogs. I didn't pay much attention to it, as my dog had just died. I think it mentioned Pit Bulls, Dobermans, German Shepherds, and I forget what else.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #17

@aja888 he hasn't eaten any small animals or children yet so I'm not absolutely positive he has Akita in him In all seriousness though he's just a mix and that's how the shelter listed him so that's what I'm going to stick with
Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
@aja888 he hasn't eaten any small animals or children yet so I'm not absolutely positive he has Akita in him In all seriousness though he's just a mix and that's how the shelter listed him so that's what I'm going to stick with
Yes, we had a Golden Retriever/Chow mix and just called him a retriever mix. Keep it simple unless you were there when the dog's parents were in the act of conceiving the litter.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Akitas are wonderful dogs; your insurance company is stupid.

You're better off without them (and with your dog).
Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Before applying for the umbrella policy, we were never asked any questions I would have considered odd or intrusive. The only time that happened is when I made a claim against another driver who rear-ended my car: The other insurance company (Progressive) paid, but they made me "pay" for my reimbursement in the form of an extremely rude and intrusive phone call, obviously designed to set me up as some sort of serial-getting-rear-ended person. The caller seemed unable to believe that I only wanted my bumper fixed, and wasn't planning to sue for injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Amethyst, that's how this came up for me too. I called about Umbrella and this was one of many questions they asked. We didn't have a dog when I originally got the home insurance so they may have asked then too but don't recall.