Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If the sun comes out tomorrow or Monday there should be some great shots of the valley and the mountain across behind my house cloaked in white.
Looking foward to this! You have a beautiful place.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Your snow is lovely and I am glad that I did not have to blow or shovel it. Will most of it melt or does it stay for the winter?

Oh, and shovel slow and easy, taking small bites.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a native Texan. I have never seen a white Christmas and have been known to complain about that in the past. Tonight I am glad that I ain't up north..... Purron your photo's are beautiful. Even more so as I sit here in my 40 degree outisde
Texas local. Make a snowman for me and think of those less fortunate down south!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We usually have a January thaw so it probably won't last, but we've got a cold week forecast.

This was a pretty nice light snow so it didn't take too much effort even when I got a big chunk. But that is good advice. I run marathons and just had a checkup a week ago but I still pause every few minutes to rest and make sure I'm doing well. For some odd reason I actually like shoveling. I could do without the drift that always goes across the midpoint, but I guess I like the exercise and being outdoors.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

All that snow sure is pretty, but I am glad I made it out of Washington Dulles before it all went to hell...
Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #26

We have every bit of two feet of the stuff. One of those days that makes me glad I spent the money for a snow thrower. However, it makes me popular with the neighbors, one of whom insists that he's going to take me and DW to lunch later this week.

Perhaps someday I will get to live my dream: When we sell the house I want to put in the "comments" section of the listing "Snow thrower conveys. Ha ha ha."
Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snow is just starting here in NH. I don't think we will get much as the storm is heading out to sea.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice Pictures! I continue to dodge the snow bullet in my corner of southern Ontario. I will probably pay later.
Bruce
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Bruce1, for once you northern folks didn't get clobbered!

We had about 8 - 9 inches here in NYC. The desk with the computer on it sits by the front window - just saw some happy kids go by. I don't hear anyone out shoveliing yet, although the plow just went by.

ta,
mew
Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Here is a shot of my backyard in DC and one of DW with the dogs in a nearby park. I wanted to get an evening shot down East Capitol Street with the Capitol dome session light burning with the city buried in snow (those bums deserve to work through a storm). But falling snow obscured the shot yesterday - maybe this evening.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #31

'09 seems to be the year for unusual snow activity, everywhere.

Light snow fell near Melbourne Australia last week (in their summer), probably confused the heck out of the 'Roos!

The south of France

And even at my house in Southeast Texas:

Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #32

Here are a few from Northern Va. - that's our grill lurking under the pyramid of snow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.jpg (439.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1128.jpg (616.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.jpg (512.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
......although the plow just went by.
I went out cruisin' around town last night after my coffee run, checking out Christmas lights and displays throughout all the different neighborhoods. And was totally impressed by how well maintained my street is compared to many around town. My street, in my block, was plowed curb to curb and salted within about 30 minutes after it quit snowing, and so is clear and dry...and I live on a street that is little traveled and kind of out of the way. Most other streets are plowed just so-so, with no salt applied, so as night fell and the temps went down, they became like ice skating rinks...slicker 'n snot on door knob!

But then again, being retired from the municipality, and being very good friends with all the guys on the snow plow crew (including their boss), as well as my annual Christmas bribes goodies, snacks, and cheese trays that I take to them each year, really pays off in the long run!!!

The first year that I took in cookies and a cheese tray, their boss looked at me kind of seriously, and asked me if it was a bribe. I said, "Well.......D*MN straight it is!!!" He chuckled and said I wouldn't have to worry one single bit about being able to get in or out, regardless of the snowfall....'cause as long as the boys were kept well fed, they'd take care of it! I've kept 'em fed, and they've always kept my street nice and clear within an hour of the time the plows hit the streets. (normal time to plow all the streets in town is about 10-14 hours depending on the amount of snowfall)

I love the dedication of my former co-workers!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in Leesburg, Va, just about 10 miles west of Reston, Va, and about 50 miles west of DC. Here are before and after pics of my truck. They were taken through an open window but through the screen. I'm not very good at taking pics. We got about 20 or 22 inches. I plowed, using my super-cool and masculin Bobcat, after about 16".

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TruckTarp.jpg (68.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg TruckSnow.jpg (98.2 KB, 2 views)

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I just hand shoveled my 70' driveway enough to get the car out until the plow comes along and piles it up at the base. About 20 miles north of Leesburg and got 18.5 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1620 drive shoveled.JPG (102.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1577 yard 18 in snow.JPG (95.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I just hand shoveled my 70' driveway enough to get the car out until the plow comes along and piles it up at the base. About 20 miles north of Leesburg and got 18.5 inches.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I was living in NJ in '79 when we got two feet of snow one day in Feb. A few years later, I moved to south Texas and I do not seem to have had that problem here.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

This is so sweet! I lived in Northern VA for 30 years, and moved out to the shore a year or so ago. I've always told DW "it never snows at the beach", which is a slight exaggeration, but still. So DD, who rents our townhouse in Leesburg, get 21 inches. We (180 miles) east of her get 1/2 inch. For the first time ever she had to get out the snow shovel and dig herself out, instead of watching me do it. She dug the snow away, then got out her hairdryer to get rid of the ice. She was so proud of herself she sent me a picture from her phone.

I guess I should probably take the snow thrower to her when we go back for Christmas. It never snows at the beach.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Here are some pics of DH and I shoveling out house #2 Yup, the renters moved out and we've been busy fixing it up. We are sore and tired, but very happy tonight. We moved a ton of snow and enjoyed some of the most beautiful sights we've ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010199.JPG (446.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010175.JPG (458.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010168.JPG (435.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010201.JPG (403.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010194.JPG (406.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Purron, those photos are great!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote