Join Early Retirement Today
Blockbuster vs. Netflix?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Blockbuster vs. Netflix?

I know that some of you here have/had Netflix. *Anybody here tried the Blockbuster version? *Anybody tried both? *The Blockbuster version is 3 movies at a time plus two instore rentals (movies or video games) / month for $14.99 / month. Netflix is $17.99 and no instore rentals.

How good are the turnaround times? *How easy to get your selections?

Hyperborea - A Perpetual Traveller in Training<br />Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. George Bernard Shaw<br />The world is not black and white. More like black and grey. Graham Greene
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Blockbuster vs. Netflix?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tried Netflix first.
Positive - turnaround and shipping

I am now a member of Blockbuster
Less expensive
Two in store rentals per month included in the price
Larger selection
Negatives - slower turnaround than Netflix but they are adding more distribution centers.

Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As far as selection - if you like to watch anything other than the big Hollywood films, my experience is that Netflix has a better selection. I can get just about any foreign film I can think of, any PBS/BBC series or documentary. The turnaround times for Netflix are 10x better than Blockbuster.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with dex. Netflix turns them around quicker unless you turn your rentals around a lot. Then netflix will start 'throttling' you. Suddenly the post office will take 4 days to deliver your dvd that was mailed 20 miles away. Some guy set up multiple accounts and used different rental patterns and 'proved' this theory, which most heavy netflix users have experienced. No info on whether blockbuster throttles.

The in-store blockbuster unlimited rentals deal wasnt so good. If you went into the store on a night or weekend they were completely out of everything new and even most of the secondary stuff. The "we have it or its free" doesnt mean much when you're on an unlimited plan.

By the way, if you have a PC and it can be connected to your tv and stereo...get a copy of the free "dvd decrypter" and a copy of windvd or powerdvd (or whatever have you). From what I hear (not that I'd do anything like this, or suggest anyone else do so), dvd decrypter will copy the whole dvd to a directory on your pc, from where windvd can play it...with visual enhancements and improved picture quality in some cases. In this theoretical scenario, you can mail the dvd right back to netflix/blockbuster after the 20-30 minute "decrypting" process.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote