Join Early Retirement Today

blocking landline first 6 digits spam spoofing calls
Old 07-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

blocking landline first 6 digits spam spoofing calls

Is there a program out there where I can block the first 6 same numbers for example 123-456 of all calls?

I use a home office landline for work.
Every day I get spoofed telemarketer calls from the same 6 first numbers as my own phone number. The last 4 numbers are always different.

Each time, I block the number. However, the spammers use a computer dialer to mix up the last 4 digits so they still get through.
EVERY SINGLE DAY while I'm trying to work, this happens, while I'm on the phone with a customer earning a living.

I do not have any friends or family who share the same 6 numbers - so I'd like to block all incoming calls starting with those numbers.

However, I can only find programs for a landline phone that either block the entire phone number - or block the first 3 numbers only.
I found one for Android that blocks the first 6 - but it won't work with my landline.

I need the home landline for work, because where I live the cell phone signals cause a lot of dropped calls - during storms especially - and I can't be hanging up on my work clients.

If anyone knows of a program that would work to block the first 6 numbers, it would be much appreciated.

workburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm following this. I have the same spammer calling me and everytime I block the number the nest day they call again with a slighly different number. I've blocked over 20 numbers with this spammer.

Aslowdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It's called "neighbor spoofing" and it has grown exponentially in the past few months. A real PITA.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know you're talking about a land line, but this is one of the reasons I like my Apple Watch. When I get an unknown caller on my iPhone, I can glance at my wrist, see that's it a neighbor spoof, and refuse the call with a quick tap.

For landlines, I dunno, except just let all calls like that go to voice mail.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

I wonder if it would even work. Is the number you’re seeing actually the number that the blocking software would see and react to? Seems like it’s little more than a description field, like a name that you’re seeing, not the actual underlying number that would be what needs to be blocked. Just wondering.

It was worse for me. At work, a bunch of us had the same first 6 digits on our cell phones, so you could never comfortably assume it was spam. Sure, it mostly was, but it’s hard to ignore your work numbers.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I get mine on an iphone. Yeah I can tap it off like the watch, but it's just annoying.
Aslowdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Attached are my call blocking rules. If they get through the first four rules, the last one stops them dead. It has been very effective for over a year now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg call blocking rules.jpg (147.1 KB, 27 views)
Freedom56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You say "landline", does that mean "POTS" (old analog copper wire - the Plain Old Telephone System)?

We have the kind of phones that people associate with "landline", but they are VOIP through an adapter. We can log into our account, and we have lots of call blocking options. I'm certain you can block an entire exchange and/or area code with wildcards.

So that's one way to get around the 'neighborhood' spoofing - get a phone number from an area where you never expect a call from, and block them.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have 2 main ways to block unwanted calls to my land line. One is specifying numbers through the account in my phone carrier's website I wish to block. I have a bunch of numbers there including some "neighbor" numbers. The other is having added the Nomorobo feature to my phone line. But with the vast increase in spoofing numbers, Nomorobo has become far less effective in blocking unwanted (robo)callers. Back in late 2016, when I first switched to internet-based land line service, nomorobo blocked about 3/4 or those robocallers. Now, it's maybe half of the callers.

My cell phone is a different story. I have a simple cell phone, not one of those smart phones. I rarely use the cell phone, it is only for emergencies. I have given the number out to maybe 10 people. But I have received many, many calls, most of them (probably 90%) from out-of-area. The rest of them are neighbor spoofed numbers. I know nobody who has a phone number which matches my area code and first 3 digits, so every one of those neighbor calls is a fake.

Another source of the unwanted calls to my cell phone are several calls asking for the former owner of my cell phone number. I got my cell phone in early 2015 yet I still get some calls for Leonard who used to have my number. Some of the callers are legit, such as from local doctor offices or other local businesses. I got his last name but still can't track him down. I pay per minute for the cell phone, but I don't burn up minutes any more with all the junk calls (I reject them); I can also use my land line to retrieve any voice mails left from them.

The whole thing is still a big PITA.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I know you're talking about a land line, but this is one of the reasons I like my Apple Watch. When I get an unknown caller on my iPhone, I can glance at my wrist, see that's it a neighbor spoof, and refuse the call with a quick tap.

For landlines, I dunno, except just let all calls like that go to voice mail.
Sorry, I canít help either, but I do this on my phone too. Any call I get that has the same atea code and prefix gets blocked immediately. Sooner or later, Iím bound to block them all

I wish you luck finding a solution to this problem for your landline.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

There is a call blocking device for landlines called "Digitone ProSeries Call Blocker" which allows for wildcard blocking. I haven't used but have read reviews on. A drawback though is some say the device is difficult to set up.

https://www.amazon.com/Digitone-ProS...s+call+blocker