Join Early Retirement Today

Blocking Spam Text Messages
Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blocking Spam Text Messages

Unlike some others, I have not had too much trouble with spam phone calls (except the ones that use the same prefix as my number - but as soon as I see the prefix I know to ignore it). But, I have been pulling my hair out due to spam text messages wanting me to donate to political candidates.

i figured they'll stop after the mid-terms, but they are so annoying that I want to block them. So far, I've blocked each number but they must have a massive pool of numbers because the text messages keep coming.

I've tried the Hiya and True Caller apps to no avail. Is there an iPhone app that will actually proactively block spam text messages?
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I got a political text yesterday, responded simply “stop”, and received this text back:
Quote:
You have successfully been unsubscribed. You will not receive any more messages from this number. Reply START to resubscribe.
That’s the easiest way for me to handle them (and I don’t care who is sending them, I don’t want any of these texts!).
Old 10-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

I tried that too. Like you, I got the "You will not receive any more messages from this number" response.

The caveat is the "from this number" qualifier. Sure enough, the texts keep coming as they seem to have a huge pool of numbers to draw from. I

n fact, I got another spam text while writing my initial post.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I tried that too. Like you, I got the "You will not receive any more messages from this number" response.

The caveat is the "from this number" qualifier. Sure enough, the texts keep coming as they seem to have a huge pool of numbers to draw from. I

n fact, I got another spam text while writing my initial post.
Yeah, “stop” is the whack a mole technique. At least the political crap should be iver in two weeks.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I got a political text yesterday, responded simply “stop”, and received this text back:

That’s the easiest way for me to handle them (and I don’t care who is sending them, I don’t want any of these texts!).
But, if you successfully stop these texts, whom will you know to vote for?
Old 10-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
But, if you successfully stop these texts, whom will you know to vote for?
True. These texts are persuading me to want to vote against them.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
True. These texts are persuading me to want to vote against them.
Maybe that's the plan...

Wouldn't texting back "stop" only indicate that you're receiving the crap, and you'd get more?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Maybe that's the plan...

Wouldn't texting back "stop" only indicate that you're receiving the crap, and you'd get more?
Yeah. I suspect it's like the email spam. If you hit unsubscribe, it just lets them know they reached a "live" email account and you get even more spam.

As mentioned, I tried sending "stop" once and they said they'd stop sending from that number. But, they have plenty of other numbers. Plus, I suspect all I've done is let them know they reached a "live" phone number.

I found another app, Call Control. I'm currently on a free 7-day trial, but I got another spam text today so I won't be buying. I'm so frustrated by this that I would gladly pay for an app to block them -- at least a month's subscription until the mid-terms are over.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #9

Since political calls and non-profits are exempt from the Do Not Call Registry, I doubt there's anything we can do about it on a general basis. Just keep deleting them.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I use the Thunderbird Spam detector. Needs some training but works pretty good.

I also use Rollup to scan all my newsletters.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Maybe that's the plan...

It helps a bit. I do "stop" or "unsubscribe".
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I use the Thunderbird Spam detector. Needs some training but works pretty good.
Is this available for iPhone? The only Thunderbird app I see in the Apple App Store is a VPN.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe that's the plan...

I don’t get more after texting “stop.” I might get a text from a different cause a few days later and I repeat the “stop.”
Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Only one business, USA Credit Repair, has kept texting me even though I have repeatedly replied to their texts with "STOP!" and sometimes including some expletives. I have even called them a few times asking them to stop texting me, with sympathy and promises not to text me again. I get a text from them every few months going back a few years, but the last one I got from them was back in late July. Maybe they finally got the message?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

For whatever reason, I've been getting at lot more SMS spam on my android phone than usual.

Went ahead to the Google Play store and tested out an app called "Postman" that does seem to do a good job of giving me control of separating what is a spam SMS text and what is to. I liked the app so much that I forked over a whole $3.99 to upgrade and remove the ads.

Hopefully, I'll have the same opinion of the app a month from now.

App was a bit cumbersome to set up, but think I have it set properly now .