Join Early Retirement Today

Blocking Unwanted Texts
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blocking Unwanted Texts

We own multiple single family rentals out of state. Many of them for years, even decades. Title companies compile and sell lists of out of state owners to people that take the real estate guru courses as well as legitimate real estate agents trolling for business. We seem to be prime targets for the equity thieves.

All of our telephone numbers are unlisted, although the Comcast mess several years ago made the numbers they control public. The County tax collector requires a valid phone number to pay property taxes on-line. Although our various phone numbers are unlisted, they have somehow ended on the title company lists.

We get numerous calls and texts from the equity thieves every day, in addition to piles of junk mail solicitations. Between these calls and the robo-calls, I don't answer the phone now unless I recognize the number. When I get a persistent caller that leaves the scripted voice mail several times, I block the number.

With texts, I tried being polite and texting back a request to remove our number from the prospect list. That was mostly a waste of time, because, well, thieves.

It's very easy to block the number of a caller. I have not figured out how to block the numbers of texters. Am I missing something obvious or do I just keep deleting the "conversations?"

Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

I have a block option & a delete option. Android LG Stylo 3. Upper right there is a 3 button drop down menu. FWD/Delete/schedule send/Block/etc

Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I respond with “Stop.” It works for me—give it a try.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #4

We never get anything unwanted, maybe that’s why I still have the landline. That’s the number I give out the most.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #5

There is a delete messages option and a mute conversation option. Is the correct choice mute conversation?

I will try texting back "Stop." It can't hurt to try.

One good thing about a declining real estate market is most of these people go away...
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If this is an iPhone, click on the "i" symbol, for more details. Within the "Details" box, there is a ">" symbol at the top/right. Click on that and it brings up the box to create a new contact. Down at the bottom of that box is an option for "Block this Caller"
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #7

I haven't run into this particular issue, much, as of yet. Just wondering, though, do you get charged for incoming junk texts?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I haven't run into this particular issue, much, as of yet. Just wondering, though, do you get charged for incoming junk texts?
On my Verizon plan texts are free. It's the annoyance and privacy issues that I would like to resolve. At least with the junk mail I can stop at the recycling bin once on the way into the house.

The phone is a Motorola Z Play Droid about 18 months old. Android OS. Not sure which version.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
If this is an iPhone, click on the "i" symbol, for more details. Within the "Details" box, there is a ">" symbol at the top/right. Click on that and it brings up the box to create a new contact. Down at the bottom of that box is an option for "Block this Caller"
Yep. This works.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Besides replying "STOP" I also forward the junk text to 7726 (SPAM) which seems to be some general collection area to report these things. Only one business, USA Credit Repair, keeps sending me their junk texts every month. I have replied "STOP" several times and have called them at their toll-free number and the texting number and have yelled at them to stop with the texts. They sound apologetic. The last text from them was in late July, so maybe they have finally stopped?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blocking/screening apps like TrueCaller will also block txt SMS msgs.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #12

I use Google Hangouts for texting and never get any sort of unsolicited or unwanted messages, although it's pretty simple to block a number if I did. Hangouts is tied to my Google Voice number and, like with Google Voice calls, the spam filters appear to be quite effective. I use Ting and turned off all text and voice calling to my actual phone number using Device Settings on their website. Prior to that I was getting a constant barrage of unwanted texts that came in faster than I could block them.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

OMG. I haven't gotten an unsolicited text (yet), though I get scammer phone calls daily on average. I block those on my iPhone, though that's tiresome and it doesn't seem to slow the scammers down, they seem to have unlimited numbers to call from - it's almost never the same phone #. Now I'm going to have the same problem with text messages too?

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #14

Timely post. I got my first unsolicited text yesterday from a political organization asking me to vote a certain way so I can be part of a wave or something.

I find this very out of line. Texts cost on many plans.

So, I actually replied asking for removal and they replied back saying I'm off their list. I'm still baffled that this is legal!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Luckily for me, unwanted texts haven't been much of an issue. Though I get them occasionally.

Can't say the same for voice calls if I didn't have a call blocking strategy in place.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I use Google Hangouts for texting and never get any sort of unsolicited or unwanted messages, although it's pretty simple to block a number if I did. Hangouts is tied to my Google Voice number and, like with Google Voice calls, the spam filters appear to be quite effective. I use Ting and turned off all text and voice calling to my actual phone number using Device Settings on their website. Prior to that I was getting a constant barrage of unwanted texts that came in faster than I could block them.
Exactly. This is why I got a virtual number with GrandCentral ten years ago, before they got bought up by Google and turned into Google Voice. After maybe a year or two of only giving out that number, the only unrecognized numbers calling my home or cell phone are always autodialers, and so I never pick up unless I recognize the number.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Timely post. I got my first unsolicited text yesterday from a political organization asking me to vote a certain way so I can be part of a wave or something.

I find this very out of line. Texts cost on many plans.

So, I actually replied asking for removal and they replied back saying I'm off their list. I'm still baffled that this is legal!
So annoying.

In this area, I've been receiving political texts for a few years during the run-up to an election.

I respond with a text requesting that they please stop texting me as their texting is not endearing their cause/candidate to me, and may in fact be a turn off.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped answering the phone years ago...filters out a lot.

I do get texts from marijuana dealers? party's? gatherings? couldn't tell you what they are. I just delete them. I'll try some of your methods. Glad to hear about them
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
unwanted texts
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

unwanted texts

Maybe the OP could change his phone number and then be extremely cautious about giving out the new number. I can't think of anything else to try.

I have almost never received an unwanted text message in the 18+ years that I have had this cell phone number. Maybe the lack of text spam is due to the fact that I barely text at all, myself - - mostly just to and from Frank now and then. I suppose that we do that in an attempt to stay young and modern.

I do get two text messages each month from Cricket Wireless. One says they are about to take the $30 monthly cell phone fee from my bank account (as authorized), and the second says that they have done it. I could probably ask them not to send these texts, but really they do not bother me at all.

I vote in every single election and get TONS of political snail mail spam. Never got a political text message, though.

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

My unwanted texts have all been political for several candidates, from several numbers, and replying simply “stop” has stopped them.