Join Early Retirement Today

Blogger - Go Mobile - Do we really need this?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Blogger - Go Mobile - Do we really need this?

I am amazed at what we can do with technology. Think about it. My mother born in 1919 saw the transition from the horse to automobile and the landing on the moon.
I don't know what to call her generation - Pre Technology?

If Pre technology is correct for my mother then I must be part of the Initial technology phase - I grew up with technology but was amazed by what was happening. I might also say unaware of its implications and potential.

No I saw on Blogger.com the following:
"Go Mobile
Blogger Mobile lets you send photos and text straight to your blog while you're on-the-go. All you need to do is send a message to go@blogger.com from your phone. You don't even need a Blogger account. The message itself is enough to create a brand new blog and post whatever photo and text you've sent.

Later, if your want to claim your mobile blog or switch your posts to another blog, just sign in to go.blogger.com and use the claim code Blogger sent to your phone.

There's even a feature, called AudioBlogger, that lets you call Blogger from any phone and leave a message that is immediately posted to your site as an MP3 audio file. (It's fun at parties.) "

So along with having to listen to inane telephone conversations while shopping or in elevators I might have to listen to instantanious blogging? "I am now walking out of the elevator to the meeting about how to maximize organizational human potential in a cubical....hi Jill..."

Do we really need this?

I think I am feeling old and out of step with many people. Then again to RE at 51 does say you are out of step with many people ... but then again I always was as I would guess alot of people are who are on this site.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Blogger - Go Mobile - Do we really need this?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You crotchety old fuddy duddy.

Seriously, I imagine teenage girls spending hours on the phone was a puzzlement to the last generation to grow up without ubiquitous telephones.

It's a new form of socialization. I'm 36, so a lot of this has evolved since I was 9-12 with dialup BBS giving way (as a somewhat popular thing...they and the internet were around before that) to big dialup services giving way to usenet and internet BBSes.

Even to me online socializing is distinct from personal socializing, but others feel they really know people after chatting online. Some fall in love and get married, although I have my doubts as to how well that works out.

My sister started blogging when she got pregnant, partially as a shortcut to retelling stories to every friend and family member. That's been neater for me than I expected; at first I thought it would be impersonal, but it isn't. My sister and her husband are big into text messaging, too. I've never been much into it, but I see how it's useful to them and how it's differentiated from an email or a phone call.

The phone-a-blog and email-a-blog services are, if you look at it, a natural marriage of interfaces for the social network of a blog system like Blogger, LiveJournal or MySpace. Might not it even be neat if you could phone in and leave a quick post here occasionally? A hot phone tip from Brewer, perhaps? A happy ER thought in the middle of the day far from a PC and connection? Give Nords a waterproof phone and we could get insights from the surf.

Ever read TiogaRV's site? (Motorhome living blog at Blogger / Vagabonds.) I wonder how many other ERs have stories they might share via phone if they knew how? At least George has a PC. (Mr. Vaio?)

(edit: spelling)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Give Nords a waterproof phone and we could get insights from the surf.
If I showed up in the lineup wearing a headset then the other surfers would tear me to shreds.

Not a judge on the island would convict, either...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If I showed up in the lineup wearing a headset then the other surfers would tear me to shreds.

I double dog dare you.* *
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
I double dog dare you.* *
Last time that happened I ended up on a nuclear submarine.

I'm immune to that approach now...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote