Blood....

Marshac

Full time employment: Posting here.
On the way to work, I was telling the guy I carpool with about this study... it came up after hearing about Kirby Puckett's stroke on NPR this morning...

http://mednews.stanford.edu/releases/2005/february/rando.htm

So how much would it cost for a complete blood transfusion every month or so?  :LOL: Sounds like something Mr Burns would do  :LOL:

350729-MrBurns.gif

Excellent

Edit: Ok, so I looked it up. $150 per pint * 10 pints (avg adult) = $1500... $18k/year. One could go as Nosferatu for Halloween, and it wouldn't be too far from the truth ;)

I'm going to bet that either something picked up in all that blood, or some problem with the procedure...ends up ending you a lot sooner than you'd have ended on your own.

Mr Burns DID get blood transfusions, at least one from Bart in the episode "Blood Feud". It made him youthful and mischievous, as might be expected.

I believe Keith Richards proved this years and years ago.

Keith's been dead for 10 years. They freeze him between shows. When its time to go, they quick thaw him, pump him full of morphine and epinephrine, hit him with about 250 amps of 220v and push him out onto the stage with a broomstick.

You dont want to know what they do with him after the show closes... :p

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Keith's been dead for 10 years.  They freeze him between shows.  When its time to go, they quick thaw him, pump him full of morphine and epinephrine, hit him with about 250 amps of 220v and push him out onto the stage with a broomstick.

You dont want to know what they do with him after the show closes... :p

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Marshac, I had 4 pints and it took almost 6 hours per pint to drip it in.

10 pints = 60 hrs. Nice little R&R.

Hmm, so if old blood is the problem, can you accomplish the same thing by giving blood frequently? This would mean that your body would have to produce a new batch of blood with all the benefits of "younger" blood?

EDIT: spelling

WanderALot said:
Hmm, so if old blood is the problem,  can you accomplish the same thing by giving blood frequently?   This would mean that would body would have to produce a new batch of blood with all the benefits of "younger" blood?

Your red blood cells only star around for 4 months or so... you're body is always producing more. To extend your question though, what about a bone marrow transplant from a young donor? That way you're always generating "young" blood from "young" stem cells.

Man, this thread is about three or four posts from a couple of us oldies slogging around mumbling "brrrainsssss...."

Whoops, there it goes.

Do tin foil hats protect against brain-eating zombies? Cause I got mine securely strapped to my ears. Stay away zombies.

I predicted about 10 months ago that it would be possible to go to a poor (third world) countries and buy a healthy 18 years old and have a doctor cut the esophagus at the throat and the colon at the rectum and do a complete body cavity transplant.

It will happen within 10-15 years.

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'd probably just buy the 18 year old and just have her loan me some of her parts... :)

Only after you make your first billion and turn 90. :D

OldAgePensioner said:
MJ,
did you collect any info on this while you were there? :D

I was a real prude the 1st time I was there. I hope to be a bit more wicked next time I go there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom