Blood

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Gave blood unit #184, 22 Dec 2012.
Anyone want to compete with me?

Have aged out of marrow donor.

If you want, is easy to be part of marrow donor program.

Also can sign up for organ/body...

That's very impressive!

DW just got her 17 gallon pin last week.

Can't give blood... (post operative shock/convulsions) but have been signed on to body donor program, ever since my son passed away suddenly 12 years ago yesterday at age 39. He was a donor, and they took some of his organs. I don't know whether this is true or not, and don't even care, but a few weeks later, we received two thank you notes (anonymous), one from the parents of a 13 year old child (some kind of eye transplant... maybe cornea) and another for tissue for a burn accident victim. Just the thought that something good could come from a heartbreaking death, helped our entire family through a difficult time.

Not sure how many units I've given. It is more than 5 gallons, but less than 10. I'm sure I'll never catch you, Khan.

For many years I could not give blood because I did not weigh enough. I gave blood twice after I reached the weight limit. The second time the nurse turned around and took one look at me and said that I was turning green and why had I not said anything to her. I told her that the same thing happened the first time also. They had to stop it early both times. She told me that I might want to consider not giving blood anymore. She did not have to tell me twice. I have not tried since then. I really admire people, such as yourself for giving blood. Thank you.

Can't even begin to compete with you Khan. A good friend of mine has given almost as much as you have. I've really get to get with the program. Bless you baby.

Fourteen gallons for me. I also donated regularly while in the military. I don't have a count for those donations. Donating in the military in the morning was a good deal because I was placed on "light duty" the rest of the day which effectively meant I was off the rest of the day.:)

Thanks Khan. I bow to your wrath.

Oh my organs are donated. Though my liver might be questionable.

Last edited:
I was closing in on 10 gallons (80 units, right?) when I last was able to check on the mainland. Paradise blood bank now has me signed up for every 56 days until I am no longer healthy. I'll never catch Kahn, but it's not really about that. I feel very good about any contribution I've made in this fashion. Though one never knows specifically where the blood goes, I'm sure I've at least participated in "saving lives". That's enough to make it worth the effort and trivial amount of pain (once in a while).

An interesting story (well, you decide as YMMV): A female friend from HS (and from church - which is what makes it even more fun) became a phlebotomist in mid c*reer. One time when I was still w*rking, she and her co-w*rkers came to our w*rk site for a big draw. She was doing the health interviews for a while (apparently, they rotated duties from stickers to interviewers to packers to mini-physical takers, etc.). As anyone knows who gives blood, there are half a dozen or more questions about sexual history (an effort to avoid contamination of the blood supply with STDs - especially HIV). We were both professional about it, but we both had to stifle a chuckle and grin during the process.

Anyone eligible (and able) should consider this "gift of life". There is always a shortage of blood - sometimes critical. My understanding is that there is no upper limit on age for donors.

I'm up to 83 pints. I tried to donate last Thursday but I got deferred. I hate when I'm all set to donate and I get deferred. It's only happened a couple of times.

I signed up for the marrow registry maybe 20+ years ago. A local family held a registry drive looking for a donor for their child. They knew there was a very small chance of finding a donor locally, but it was a way to get more people into the national registry.

In Ohio our drivers license shows if we are organ donors so I've authorized that I'll donate anything usable and I've also told my family members of my wishes.

Earlier this year I started donating Platelets. Takes a bit longer than donating whole blood, but can donate 24x a year. That will be my goal for next year.

I tried platelets, but the machine and I did not get along.

Earlier this year I started donating Platelets. Takes a bit longer than donating whole blood, but can donate 24x a year. That will be my goal for next year.
A bit longer?

I can donate a pint of whole blood in 15 minutes, but it takes me about 2 hours to donate platelets. I realize the time varies from one person to another.

At my blood bank I can watch cable TV (Comcast) or select a DVD from their rather large library. I can't read because my donation arm is taped down (per my request). I still find it difficult to lie there for 2 hours.

I've asked my doc about donating blood, but he says I'm a no go. When I turned 40, my liver enzymes went all out of whack. To make a long story short, the docs concluded I had chronic hepatitis due to an autoimmune problem. My enzymes were returned to normal though prescription meds, but I have to have it checked every year. I have not had a problem since.

i sometimes wonder if it was just a fluke caused by who knows what. But it's on my record so i'm screwed on donating.

Back
Top Bottom