Join Early Retirement Today

Blood moon on 9/27
Old 09-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blood moon on 9/27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

And while I am ranting … did anybody see this past summer's conjunction of Venus and Jupiter? Remember, it was in June? It was just 2 dots of light in the sky if you went out and looked. The media did a real disservice to these planets by only making folks look once. The real treat was looking every night and seeing the spacing between Venus and Jupiter change quite a bit and their relationship to nearby stars change, too. No wonder the ancients named them for the Greek for Wanderers.

Indeed! I was traveling through the mountains and the desert at the time and made a point to watch them every night. It was an interesting week in the sky.

Looking forward to tomorrow's eclipse as I always like living through the end of times events.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's probably named "blood moon" because "rusty lunar eclipse" just doesn't have the same zing.

Disappointment, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. As long as there's no cloud cover I'll enjoy it. But then again, I'm easy to please.
+1

We saw the 3rd one in this series, October 7 last year while we were in Tasmania. Very impressive.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Blood Moon
Super Moon
Blood Super Moon
No!

Super Blood Moon!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/sc...ntil-2033.html

Infectious Super Blood Flesheating Moon! <-- I like that one.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Nada. 100% overcast, can't see diddly squat.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lol sure rare but if you go out and look at this month's super duper full moon and next month's and the following month's poor piddly regular full moons you won't be able to see a difference at all. And lunar eclipses are seen over most of the night side of the earth twice a year with total lunar eclipses about once a year. Astronomically speaking these are a dime a dozen. Even in the context of a human life span not 'rare'.

Eclipse schedule

Solar and Lunar Eclipses Worldwide – Next 10 years
Old 09-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Nada. 100% overcast, can't see diddly squat.
Try again tonight.

From the NYT article linked by LOL
Quote:
It’s a combination of curiosities that hasn’t happened since 1982, and won’t happen again until 2033. A so-called supermoon, which occurs when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit, will coincide with a lunar eclipse, leaving the moon in Earth’s shadow. Individually, the two phenomena are not uncommon, but they do not align often.
In case I forget, I set my alarm for 9:45 eastern time. DW and I will step outside and hope to see the 14% larger barely noticeable orange tinged rusty colored lunar eclipse.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Oops! I thought it was last night. I'll try again, but it's pretty overcast again. We'll see.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Suppose to see on the West coast around 7:10 pm. Hope it is dark by then. Just 30 minutes to go.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Try again tonight.

From the NYT article linked by LOL

In case I forget, I set my alarm for 9:45 eastern time. DW and I will step outside and hope to see the 14% larger barely noticeable orange tinged rusty colored lunar eclipse.
Here in N IL, we went from patches of clouds, to patches of clear, to pretty much totally obscured. Still about an hour left to the show, there's a chance we will clear up in that time, but I'm not counting on it.

Big clear patch of sky south of us though - maybe someone there can see the show?

-ERD50
Old 09-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How cool! Thanks for the "heads up". I hope that clouds don't obscure it here. I have never heard of this phenomenon and would love to see it.
Heavy clouds here, tonight. It has been drizzling or raining most of the day.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #31

Totally cool!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Blood Moon
Super Moon
Blood Super Moon
No!

Super Blood Moon!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/sc...ntil-2033.html

Infectious Super Blood Flesheating Moon! <-- I like that one.
Doo-do-doo-do, doo-do-doo-do, doo-do-doo-do.

Where is Rod Serling when you need him?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #33

The moon is almost totally dim orange. The stars and the Milky Way are out in force. And listening to the Broncos on the radio. What a perfect night!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #34

Very eery/beautiful.

Still evening, heavy scent of the canyon brush, full moon at first with a red tinge but then obscured. I can see the distinct outline of what would be a full moon, but dimmened and darkened.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #35

Clouded out here. Saw a bit of the partial phase about 8:45 ET
Old 09-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #36
Administrator

Sadly, it is cloudy tonight, although I have managed to catch a glimpse of the moon in the gaps between the clouds. As always, I am in awe of the cosmos.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking at it right now. It has just entered my field of view from my home. The sky is clear. The moon does look large and reddish and is partly in shadow, exactly as advertised. My home faces south east and I expect to be able to follow it over the next several hours. Very cool!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Here in N IL, we went from patches of clouds, to patches of clear, to pretty much totally obscured. Still about an hour left to the show, there's a chance we will clear up in that time, but I'm not counting on it.

Big clear patch of sky south of us though - maybe someone there can see the show?

-ERD50
It cleared up ~ 10:10 central time here. Definitely a muddy, reddish-orange, with a little brightness on the lower left. Should be able to see that progress over the next few minutes. Pretty cool!

-ERD50
Old 09-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #39

Heavy cloud, no rain.

No moon either.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #40

First there was Blood Money... then Blood Diamonds... and now a Super Blood Moon... I think it's all a Hemorrhaging Nuisance.

Very thin clouds here, that thickened some over time. I've seen better lunar eclipses before.

So when is the next "Super Blood Moon" supposed to be? In 2033? The same year that the shoe box tied with string with the slot cut in the top, labelled ------ -------- Trust Fund and stuffed with IOUs "runs out?" A coincidence? Can we get an internet conspiracy going on that one?