Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It cleared up ~ 10:10 central time here. Definitely a muddy, reddish-orange, with a little brightness on the lower left. Should be able to see that progress over the next few minutes. Pretty cool!

-ERD50
Stayed pretty clear to the end! I got a very nice view as the shadow progressed. Some misty clouds for the last part, but that actually gave it a nice 'werewolf' kind of effect, and I had already seen plenty by then.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

That was great. We had patchy clouds, so we only got glimpses of it at the peak, but I am glad we got to see it! It was darker than I expected from pictures, but still got to see the orange red hue.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #43

We watched it, but it was cloudiest during the peak of the eclipse. Didn't get any good photos, but did get a visit from a sheriff's deputy wondering what I was doing standing out at the road aiming something skyward.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Completely clear, no wind, great viewing, quite red/orange at total. Really enjoyed it.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

We landed at O'Hare about thirty minutes before the peak (not sure while in flight what other passengers on the plane could have seen but we couldn't see the moon from our seats). We had good views in the airport parking lot and got home by the peak. I would say the sky was very impressive.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Went out an hour before it started, and it was pretty cloudy, so I gave up. Then at 10 my neighbor called and told us it was looking great. Went back out and the clouds had all blown away. Great show! More mud moon than blood moon, but still cool. I envy Hermit's view of the Milky Way. Light pollution is so bad here I can barely see the Big Dipper.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The first hour or so was blocked by my neighbor's tree, plus some wispy clouds. Later it cleared a bit, so I got a few looks while also watching football.

Tried to take a few pics, but I couldn't find my remote trigger, and the shots were too blurry, even with locking the mirror. Figured the long exposures needed during total eclipse were out of the question, so went back to football.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We landed at O'Hare about thirty minutes before the peak (not sure while in flight what other passengers on the plane could have seen but we couldn't see the moon from our seats). We had good views in the airport parking lot and got home by the peak. I would say the sky was very impressive.
Did you see me waving?

I noticed the planes headed for Chicago airports while I was out viewing and thought to myself, 'I'll bet those folks are getting a great show from the plane.'

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very clear here last night - fantastic viewing.

The family and I watched from our back patio as the moon first rose over the horizon - it was tinged with red and the eclipse started early as well.

Weird, unique, certainly a 'wow' experience.

I tried to snap some pics - most didn't turn out. Here's the best I could manage

Later the moon lost the red tinge and was back to its normal white, the eclipse was still going on much later but only partial as the moon was higher up.

I didn't stay out to watch the whole show, though.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

DH & I watched it last night, a magnificent sight. [And yes, the sky was clear in Portland.]
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Did you see me waving?

I noticed the planes headed for Chicago airports while I was out viewing and thought to myself, 'I'll bet those folks are getting a great show from the plane.'
That was you?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I must have have missed it, was not the world supposed to end? It was cloudy here.