Blood moon on 9/27

Nada. 100% overcast, can't see diddly squat.

Try again tonight.

From the NYT article linked by LOL
It’s a combination of curiosities that hasn’t happened since 1982, and won’t happen again until 2033. A so-called supermoon, which occurs when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit, will coincide with a lunar eclipse, leaving the moon in Earth’s shadow. Individually, the two phenomena are not uncommon, but they do not align often.
In case I forget, I set my alarm for 9:45 eastern time. DW and I will step outside and hope to see the 14% larger barely noticeable orange tinged rusty colored lunar eclipse.

Oops! I thought it was last night. I'll try again, but it's pretty overcast again. We'll see.

Suppose to see on the West coast around 7:10 pm. Hope it is dark by then. Just 30 minutes to go.

Try again tonight.

From the NYT article linked by LOL

In case I forget, I set my alarm for 9:45 eastern time. DW and I will step outside and hope to see the 14% larger barely noticeable orange tinged rusty colored lunar eclipse.

Here in N IL, we went from patches of clouds, to patches of clear, to pretty much totally obscured. Still about an hour left to the show, there's a chance we will clear up in that time, but I'm not counting on it.

Big clear patch of sky south of us though - maybe someone there can see the show?

-ERD50

How cool! Thanks for the "heads up". I hope that clouds don't obscure it here. I have never heard of this phenomenon and would love to see it.

Heavy clouds here, tonight. It has been drizzling or raining most of the day.

The moon is almost totally dim orange. The stars and the Milky Way are out in force. And listening to the Broncos on the radio. What a perfect night!

Very eery/beautiful.

Still evening, heavy scent of the canyon brush, full moon at first with a red tinge but then obscured. I can see the distinct outline of what would be a full moon, but dimmened and darkened.

Sadly, it is cloudy tonight, although I have managed to catch a glimpse of the moon in the gaps between the clouds. As always, I am in awe of the cosmos.

I'm looking at it right now. It has just entered my field of view from my home. The sky is clear. The moon does look large and reddish and is partly in shadow, exactly as advertised. My home faces south east and I expect to be able to follow it over the next several hours. Very cool!

Here in N IL, we went from patches of clouds, to patches of clear, to pretty much totally obscured. Still about an hour left to the show, there's a chance we will clear up in that time, but I'm not counting on it.

Big clear patch of sky south of us though - maybe someone there can see the show?

-ERD50

It cleared up ~ 10:10 central time here. Definitely a muddy, reddish-orange, with a little brightness on the lower left. Should be able to see that progress over the next few minutes. Pretty cool!

-ERD50

Heavy cloud, no rain.

No moon either.

First there was Blood Money... then Blood Diamonds... and now a Super Blood Moon... I think it's all a Hemorrhaging Nuisance.

Very thin clouds here, that thickened some over time. I've seen better lunar eclipses before.

So when is the next "Super Blood Moon" supposed to be? In 2033? The same year that the shoe box tied with string with the slot cut in the top, labelled ------ -------- Trust Fund and stuffed with IOUs "runs out?" A coincidence? Can we get an internet conspiracy going on that one? ;)

It cleared up ~ 10:10 central time here. Definitely a muddy, reddish-orange, with a little brightness on the lower left. Should be able to see that progress over the next few minutes. Pretty cool!

-ERD50

Stayed pretty clear to the end! I got a very nice view as the shadow progressed. Some misty clouds for the last part, but that actually gave it a nice 'werewolf' kind of effect, and I had already seen plenty by then.

-ERD50

That was great. We had patchy clouds, so we only got glimpses of it at the peak, but I am glad we got to see it! It was darker than I expected from pictures, but still got to see the orange red hue.

We watched it, but it was cloudiest during the peak of the eclipse. Didn't get any good photos, but did get a visit from a sheriff's deputy wondering what I was doing standing out at the road aiming something skyward.

Completely clear, no wind, great viewing, quite red/orange at total. Really enjoyed it.

We landed at O'Hare about thirty minutes before the peak (not sure while in flight what other passengers on the plane could have seen but we couldn't see the moon from our seats). We had good views in the airport parking lot and got home by the peak. I would say the sky was very impressive.

Went out an hour before it started, and it was pretty cloudy, so I gave up. Then at 10 my neighbor called and told us it was looking great. Went back out and the clouds had all blown away. Great show! More mud moon than blood moon, but still cool. I envy Hermit's view of the Milky Way. Light pollution is so bad here I can barely see the Big Dipper.

The first hour or so was blocked by my neighbor's tree, plus some wispy clouds. Later it cleared a bit, so I got a few looks while also watching football.

Tried to take a few pics, but I couldn't find my remote trigger, and the shots were too blurry, even with locking the mirror. Figured the long exposures needed during total eclipse were out of the question, so went back to football.

We landed at O'Hare about thirty minutes before the peak (not sure while in flight what other passengers on the plane could have seen but we couldn't see the moon from our seats). We had good views in the airport parking lot and got home by the peak. I would say the sky was very impressive.
Did you see me waving? :D

I noticed the planes headed for Chicago airports while I was out viewing and thought to myself, 'I'll bet those folks are getting a great show from the plane.'

Very clear here last night - fantastic viewing.

The family and I watched from our back patio as the moon first rose over the horizon - it was tinged with red and the eclipse started early as well.

Weird, unique, certainly a 'wow' experience.

I tried to snap some pics - most didn't turn out. Here's the best I could manage
Full-Moon-Eclipse-9-27-15.jpg

Full-Moon-Eclipse-9-27-15-2.jpg

Later the moon lost the red tinge and was back to its normal white, the eclipse was still going on much later but only partial as the moon was higher up.

I didn't stay out to watch the whole show, though.

DH & I watched it last night, a magnificent sight. [And yes, the sky was clear in Portland.:cool:]

Back
Top Bottom