Bloomberg cafe con leche index - Venezuela hyperinflation

Guess you are not keeping up.... it is now 2 million...

This could never happen here in the USA, right? Right?

It's theoretically possible with any fiat currency. I know there are (supposedly) lots of anti inflationary pressures currently in the US$. I hope they remain for, let's say, at least the next 25 years (which takes me beyond my current 'plan'). Of course, stuff happens so YMMV.

It happened in Germany in the early 1930's. I had some stamps that were overprinted with one million marks.

What a crying shame. And such a beautiful country, too; according to several of my coworkers. I’ve never been, and it’s doubtful I will anytime soon with this level of unrest.

I selfishly can only hope the rum stills can continue to produce Ron Pampero’s Anniversario. Easily my favorite dark rum.

The Washington Post has a sad story today about people from Venezuela's middle class fleeing the country for work in the underground economy of neighboring nations. Like many refugees, they're being badly victimized.

"It" is happening here, albeit at a slower rate. In 2018, what costs you $10 dollars today would have cost you .39 cents in 1913. The loss due to inflation is about 96%.

Thus, in my opinion, it is inevitable that, sometime in the future, our current currency will be changed over to another named currency, perhaps called the "new dollar" or the "heavy dollar." Money will be exchanged for perhaps an old dime for a new dollar. $100 dollars in the bank will be turned into $10 dollars of the newer currency. And the process will then continue on.

Rich

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

"It" is happening here, albeit at a slower rate. In 2018, what costs you $10 dollars today would have cost you .39 cents in 1913. The loss due to inflation is about 96%.

Thus, in my opinion, it is inevitable that, sometime in the future, our current currency will be changed over to another named currency, perhaps called the "new dollar" or the "heavy dollar." Money will be exchanged for perhaps an old dime for a new dollar. $100 dollars in the bank will be turned into $10 dollars of the newer currency. And the process will then continue on.

Rich

Hmmm - been well over 200 years so far.........

Not in my lifetime I would guess. We haven’t even gotten rid of pennies!

Rich

One possibly interesting thought on this subject: If that $.39 were in four dimes of the era (yeah, I know, that's $.40) then the current value would be over $5 at today's silver prices. Back in the early teens (20 teens that is) 4 silver dimes were worth up to $15. Not making any recommendation, just sayin'... So YMMV.

The United States has gone through many more instances of disruptive currency deflation than inflation, the most recent in 2008.

Venezuela is a modern day tragedy. There’s no other case of a middle income country falling to become a low income country with such loss of living standard for so many without war being the cause. It looks to get worse - nothing is underway to change the current course or direction.

The probability of something similar happening in the US, or any other developed high income OECD country, is so low it’s not worth considering and certainly not doing any contingency planning.

Venezuela is a modern day tragedy. There’s no other case of a middle income country falling to become a low income country with such loss of living standard for so many without war being the cause. It looks to get worse - nothing is underway to change the current course or direction.

The probability of something similar happening in the US, or any other developed high income OECD country, is so low it’s not worth considering and certainly not doing any contingency planning.

The fact that I'm still mostly invested must mean I believe this at the gut level. Having said that, I have indeed begun to think of contingencies. I'll stop at that to avoid the smell of bacon. YMMV

There is one other case I can think of - Argentina - At the end of the 19th century thru the early twentieth century Argentina was considered a developed country, on par with similar European countries. After the advent of populist governance Argentina started a steady decline where today it's living conditions are on par with many other third world countries.

As to the applicability to the US I agree it is a very remote possibility but I think based on Argentina's example that it is not impossible since populist themes when adroitly implemented have a way of carrying force for a long long time.

Last edited:
There is one other case I can think of - Argentina - At the end of the 19th century thru the early twentieth century Argentina was considered a developed country, on par with similar European countries. After the advent of populist governance Argentina started a steady decline where today it's living conditions are on par with many other third world countries.

As to the applicability to the US I agree it is a very remote possibility but I think based on Argentina's example that it is not impossible since populist themes when adroitly implemented have a way of carrying force for a long long time.

Argentina is an excellent example of the GDP consequences of poor governance. I think there are some details, though, that make it less relevant to the question of a developed country following the path of Venezuela.

In the post WW2 period Argentina had the same per capita income as a developed Western European country. That was the start of a decades long period of major economic growth for the western world which led to a major improvement in GDP and standard of living, and Argentina did not participate. Their GDP and standard of living did not fall but it also didn’t rise, so they slipped from being a high income country to middle income. They have been and continue to be a very solid middle income country. Their per capita GDP is quite high, close to meeting the criteria for “high income”, but the country does not have the institutional development a high income country needs to fully meet the criteria of “developed”. It is by no means underdeveloped or low income.

Venezuela had a similar level of GDP and institutional development, which put it solidly in the category of “middle income”. Since 1989, however, it has deliberately and systematically dismantled those institutions and rebuilt them as extensions of a corrupt executive office. The effect is almost war-like in its destructive nature, and the impact is just now becoming evident. Venezuela per capita GDP is still quite high but the reality is a much more severe loss in standard of living. Measurement will eventually catch up with reality and show Venezuela falling from a high middle income to borderline low income. This kind of [-]loss[/-] mass destruction only happens with war.

People focus on the numbers - GPD per capita - and gov’t policy as if it were a developed country, and judge, contrasting the “isms”. This loss is not the result of bad policy or an “ism”, it is the result of the deliberate destruction of policy making capability together along with the independent institutions that form a modern middle income society. Central bank, judicial, law enforcement, education, tax, industrial are all aspects that have been hijacked, completely dismantled, expropriated. An equivalent example (IMO) is a vibrant neighborhood taken over by a street gang.

Can this happen in a developed country? One should never confuse improbable with impossible, so the answer is “yes”. I think the likelihood is very remote. It is not about inflation or hyperinflation, it’s about the wholesale destruction of all the institutions that comprise a modern neoliberal democratic capitalist society.

Last edited:
Argentina is an excellent example of the GDP consequences of poor governance. I think there are some details, though, that make it less relevant to the question of a developed country following the path of Venezuela.

In the post WW2 period Argentina had the same per capita income as a developed Western European country. That was the start of a decades long period of major economic growth for the western world which led to a major improvement in GDP and standard of living, and Argentina did not participate. Their GDP and standard of living did not fall but it also didn’t rise, so they slipped from being a high income country to middle income. They have been and continue to be a very solid middle income country. Their per capita GDP is quite high, close to meeting the criteria for “high income”, but the country does not have the institutional development a high income country needs to fully meet the criteria of “developed”. It is by no means underdeveloped or low income.

Venezuela had a similar level of GDP and institutional development, which put it solidly in the category of “middle income”. Since 1989, however, it has deliberately and systematically dismantled those institutions and rebuilt them as extensions of a corrupt executive office. The effect is almost war-like in its destructive nature, and the impact is just now becoming evident. Venezuela per capita GDP is still quite high but the reality is a much more severe loss in standard of living. Measurement will eventually catch up with reality and show Venezuela falling from a high middle income to borderline low income. This kind of [-]loss[/-] mass destruction only happens with war.

People focus on the numbers - GPD per capita - and gov’t policy as if it were a developed country, and judge, contrasting the “isms”. This loss is not the result of bad policy or an “ism”, it is the result of the deliberate destruction of policy making capability together along with the independent institutions that form a modern middle income society. Central bank, judicial, law enforcement, education, tax, industrial are all aspects that have been hijacked, completely dismantled, expropriated. An equivalent example (IMO) is a vibrant neighborhood taken over by a street gang.

Can this happen in a developed country? One should never confuse improbable with impossible, so the answer is “yes”. I think the likelihood is very remote. It is not about inflation or hyperinflation, it’s about the wholesale destruction of all the institutions that comprise a modern neoliberal democratic capitalist society.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say but you said it without the nitrates and nitrites. Bravo.

Argentina really is an interesting story: basically made a habit of defaulting every so often.

Argentina has defaulted on its international debt seven times and on its domestic debt five times since its independence in 1816.

Venezuela actually had eleven debt crises too, last one was in 2004.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_debt_crises

What surprised me is that almost every year there is at least one country with a sovereign debt crisis.

Another (sad) index to track the Venezuela situation is how much weight they have collectively lost: 11 kilograms on average per person in 2017, 8 kilograms in 2016 ..

What surprised me is that almost every year there is at least one country with a sovereign debt crisis.
Yes. Just like junk bonds to bad businesses. And yet the world lines up to lend them all more money.

Another (sad) index to track the Venezuela situation is how much weight they have collectively lost: 11 kilograms on average per person in 2017, 8 kilograms in 2016 ..
Very sad. Last year my BIL weighed less than he did when I met him - in 1977.

Back
Top Bottom