Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOfTheBoomers View Post
Did anyone else catch the Bloomberg radio piece yesterday about working until you are 65 is the new status symbol and retiring early is not!

Not sure what to make of it.
I think it fits in with all the other work until you drop and you need a zillion dollars to retire scare stories. Our financial and corporate overlords want us to keep paying taxes into SS and not withdraw money from our retirement accounts so they can keep collecting their management fees as well as help keep stock prices high.

I like reading up on happiness studies instead. Working 60+ hours a week isn't usually listed as one of the main paths to bliss, unless you are in a career you really love.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Sounds good to me. Less folks taking up the lap lanes at 11 am and clogging up the aisles in the grocery store mid-day.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though I currently have OMM issues, I know I won't work 10 more years to get to 65!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yahoo Finance has an article today "You'll Need $2 Million Before You Can Think of Retirement". Conditioning the drones again.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Yahoo Finance has an article today "You'll Need $2 Million Before You Can Think of Retirement". Conditioning the drones again.
That's for sure. Many of us who didn't have $2 Million when we retired, are doing just fine.

So much depends on other factors.
  • Is the house paid off? Is it a giant mansion that is expensive to maintain?
  • Is money coming in from a pension or SS?
  • How many people in the household?
  • Any debt? Any dependents?
  • Does the retiree live in Manhattan or someplace cheaper? http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/10-c...ive-in-the-us/
  • Does the retiree thirst either for expensive international travel, or for other aspects of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"?
We are individuals, and so often our situations differ markedly.

From the Yahoo Finance article, taken from TheStreet,
Quote:
People need more money in retirement than they initially believe. Many clients are spending a minimum of $3,000 a month once they stop working on basic necessities such as property tax, car payments and federal taxes, Ulin said.
Here's the link: You'll Need $2 Million Before You Can Think of Retirement - TheStreet

Perhaps the quote above is correct, but I think many of us live quite comfortably on less than the conventional 4% of $1M (plus annual cost of living increases) from our portfolios.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #26

So many of these articles do not add anything to the discussion, they just remix the same things and present them with a slightly different flavor. I wonder how much of it is written by programs.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So many of these articles do not add anything to the discussion, they just remix the same things and present them with a slightly different flavor. I wonder how much of it is written by programs.
Yes, but they are so fun to refute.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #28

The yahoo article talks about needing $36k for basics. I think there are people here living nicely, with some extras, on less than that, or near that. But then again they don't have the car payments mentioned, and federal income tax is probably a lot less than this Ulin person thinks.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #29

I did see on a retirement calculator that they are not really ready to let you out of the rat race either... It will only allow an age of 58 and higher.
Attached Images
File Type: png retirementAge.PNG (6.9 KB, 31 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

One bot telling the other bots to keep w*rking...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

These articles also have a habit of not letting facts get in their way. According to the 2014 Consumer Expenditure Survey, mean investment type income for households over age 65 have under $3K in interest, dividends and rental income, which would imply that most households do not have seven figure portfolios, let alone $2M.

A recent study in the U.K found that people age 65 to 79 happiest of all and "People with jobs were happier than unemployed people, with part-time workers the happiest. Of those are were not working, retirees had the highest levels of happiness, followed by students."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Go figure. I'm ERing in 68 days and now it's out of style! What will I do?!
The good news is that you'll have plenty of time to think about it! Maybe a top hat, cravat, and diamond-studded walking stick will add the style back!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't want to drop a dog in this fight but if you read the article properly it was directed at millennials, so I would have to agree that by the time they want to retire (20 to 30 years from now) and considering inflation, 2 million should probably be the goal, especially with limited pension options and possibly reduced SS payments. I think it is totally reasonable for a today's average early retirees (mid 50"s) to make it work on 1 million plus a paid for home considering they might have a small pension and/or will have a good chance to receive most if not all of their projected SS.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #34

Too many stories about folks dropping dead at age 64, 65, 66 having had just a few months of retirement. Know a few myself.

Nothing stylish about that.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Too many stories about folks dropping dead at age 64, 65, 66 having had just a few months of retirement. Know a few myself.

But, it does represent very nearly optimal resource utilization for the labor unit consumer, something any corporate entity could be proud of.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but...
Attached Images
File Type: gif dt141111.gif (130.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Since these authors are paid to write articles and generate page views, they don't care if there is any truth to what they write. They could write another article next week stating the exact opposite and be happy if it gets used. They are like the stock broker that gets paid on each trade whether you make any money or not. Sensationalist headlines sell. Just keep churning out the drivel!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Or 56, 57 like happened recently in my little place at Megacorp.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Or 56, 57 like happened recently in my little place at Megacorp.
Exactly. Back when I was in college, I worked at a defense contractor. One day the alarms went off and some EMT's came running down the aisle. An engineer had keeled over at his desk. He died right there, so they carted him away. Right then I swore I would not let that happen to me. That was 37 years ago. I no longer sit in a windowless cloth-covered box all day, thanks in part to encouragement from this forum.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I'm sure it's been posted before, but...
too perfect !