Join Early Retirement Today

Blown Fuse ?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Blown Fuse ?

I think I blew a fuse but am not sure if it's something worse. I had two things plugged into an outlet in my bathroom and they both lost power at the same time. This has happened to me before and flipping the circuit breaker did the trick. However this time it didn't work. What else should I try?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

push the breaker to the full off position before snapping it back on. and/or find Ground Fault Interrupter receptacle and push in the button that popped out.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reply. I just made sure to push the breaker to the full off position but still no luck. The receptacle doesn't have a Ground Fault Interrupter. The lights in the bathroom still work, just not the receptacles.

Any other ideas what it might be?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It might be a GFI receptacle elsewhere on the circuit. I had the receptacles in my garage trip and the GFI that was on the same circuit was in a basement bedroom!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ronnieboy probably has it right. If it's a receptacle in a bathroom and it is up to modern standards, then there's a GFCI protecting it. But, sometimes it is on another receptacle "upstream" of the bathroom. Check nearby outlets (is there another bathroom back-to-back with the affected one?) In one house we lived in, the GCFI receptacle in the garage protected an upstairs bathroom. Dumb, but cheap.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #6

Like samclem, I had one in the garage protected by a GFCI in the basement. Even worse, resetting it didn't work either. Taking the cover plate off I found the terminals to the outlet were hot so I figured the GFCI in the outlet was bad. When I went to replace it I found that the hot wire had simply fallen out of the push-in connector. So I used the screw connectors to keep it from happening again.

Look for other dead outlets and you'll likely find the culprit. It is possible the breaker went bad but that's rare. If you're comfortable taking the cover off your circuit panel that's easy enough to check. If you're not comfortable doing that - sticking your fingers in the wrong place will be painful at best - it's time to call an electrician.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the help! That's exactly what it was. The GFI was on a receptacle in my garage. I'm glad I didn't need to call an electrician to push a button!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
Thanks everyone for the help! That's exactly what it was. The GFI was on a receptacle in my garage. I'm glad I didn't need to call an electrician to push a button!
Now, if you want to be a nice guy and help everyone else in the house or who lives there after you, you can put a small label on the GFCI in the garage indicating it protects circuits in your bthroonm, and put another label on the recpts in the bathroom telling people to reset the GFCI in the garage if they go out.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Dang, I thought this was a thread about one of our colorful members ranting on and on......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I'm glad I didn't need to call an electrician to push a button!
Pushing a button: free.
Knowing where to push a button: minimum $85 service call...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Now, if you want to be a nice guy and help everyone else in the house or who lives there after you, you can put a small label on the GFCI in the garage indicating it protects circuits in your bthroonm, and put another label on the recpts in the bathroom telling people to reset the GFCI in the garage if they go out.
And if you really want to be nice, label the outlet(s) with the CB #
Old 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Dang, I thought this was a thread about one of our colorful members ranting on and on......

you rang?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote