Join Early Retirement Today

BlueCross/Shield of IL Ins scam call?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BlueCross/Shield of IL Ins scam call?

Yesterday I get a call. Caller ID says BLUE CROSS (my health ins is through them), number is 630-328-4400. The caller started asking me for information to validate my account. I said - you called me, I'm not going to give you any information, who are you?

This went on, I said I would only call a number on my card or the web site, they said they would give me a number to call, but I won't call a number they give me, that could be bogus as well.

I checked on-line, I don't have any messages, so I assume this was a scam. If it was legit - they need to do this in such a way that people can verify it. Giving info out to a cold call is just not good security, and should not be encouraged.

I left an inquiry for them regarding this. So we will see. They knew my name, I'm leaning to thinking it was legit, but these companies should follow good practice - asking for info on a cold call just makes it seem more normal, and someone will be more likely to do it for a scammer, if it becomes 'normal'.

I didn't get around to having them give the number they wanted me to call, wish I had now. The number from caller ID doesn't come up with much on a search, but this could be a third party survey company or something.

Just bad practice.

While I'm at it, I'll rant a bit. I can't believe how many separate mailings I get from them. I've probably had a couple dozen in the last month. I got ID cards for DW and myself, a week later more cards - then I look closely, the first cards were for last year (why do I get more in DEC, for a policy about to expire, I already had two sets?). And multiple sets for Dental, which we don't have - we self-pay. But I guess the ACA covers dental for children, but they should know we don't have any children on these policies.

Every little notice, another mailing. Then they say there was an error on the cards, so another whole set come. While the cost of mail might not seem that big a deal, add in all the cost of processing this stuff (and I assume laminated, individually printed cards aren't exactly cheap), and it makes you wonder. But I'm also assuming this is just a symptom of mass inefficiencies, and just the tip of the iceberg. But maybe all this is due to legal requirements? I dunno, just frustrating to see this waste knowing how high our premiums are, and how little they cover.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a scam phone call to me.

I don't get all those mailings from BCBS down here. Well, I do get some I suppose, but not enough to bother me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think BCBS is the only one left in IL, so that does make it easy for scammers, pretty good odds if they stick to IL area codes. They at least sounded professional, so it wasn't an obvious scam like the IRS calls.

I'll update here if I get a response from BCBS.

-ERD50
Old 01-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A quick Google of the phone number gets me this-
This is the number for Hallmark Services Corporation who is the Administrator or BlueCross BlueShield. They are likely calling you if you are a broker for BCBS or if you have applied for or have a policy with BCBS. They are not a telemarketing or collection agency.
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/6303284400
There are several other references to Hallmark.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
A quick Google of the phone number gets me this-
This is the number for Hallmark Services Corporation who is the Administrator or BlueCross BlueShield. They are likely calling you if you are a broker for BCBS or if you have applied for or have a policy with BCBS. They are not a telemarketing or collection agency.
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/6303284400
There are several other references to Hallmark.
Thanks, I didn't get any hits on my first go around. I tried again from within 800notes, and found a little bit. Not sure if they verified it was BCBS, or are just parroting the caller ID, or what the person the phone told them. And your link is ~ 8 years ago, the most recent ones here are 4 years old. Could mean no one is reporting them because they are legit? But sure is odd to get a call, and then they ask me for info:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-630-328-4400

I did get a confirmation of my request from BCBS, we'll see if they can actually tell me anything. Odd that I have no messages in my inbox there.

-ERD50
Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #7

I don't blame you. I get a little paranoid also when people call asking for info.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #8

I understand your concern, and would have done the same. I had a similar call from a lender one time, concerning a payment. I told him I would not give any info to a number that called me, and I would call the number on my bill. He was very polite and understood the issue.

Turns out it was legit, and a payment I thought I had sent was never sent. Not only was it handled professionally, they even waived the late fee. I know this is common, but it still felt good at the time.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Does sound like someone phishing for your personal information.

I also had a suspicious phone call at 7:00 pm on a weeknight. She asked for me by full name, and introduced herself as the new vice president of the Wells Fargo branch I do business with. Then she got all charming and said her first name was the same as mine, isn't that nice! She said the reason for the call was she was reviewing accounts and had some missing information on my account. Then she asked for my social security number. I said coldly that I don't give out that information to someone who cold-calls me. She then said I was right to refuse and asked that I please call the bank branch and give that information.

I never called, and it was never an issue.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If I got one of those calls, I'd say something like I don't give the info over the phone, send it to me by postal mail. If they ask for my address, I'd tell them they should have my address already.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If I got one of those calls, I'd say something like I don't give the info over the phone, send it to me by postal mail. If they ask for my address, I'd tell them they should have my address already.
Good point. I wasn't fast enough on my feet to think of that response.

And I did receive a similar call a few years back about fraud on my credit card. That was legit, but no way was I going to give info to someone on a cold call. So we will see.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2017, 04:58 AM   #12

I never give out personal information on a cold call. just asking to get scammed.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #13
Administrator

We've been cold called multiple times over the years by BCBS, UHC, and two card processors. The calls from BCBS and UHC were about "questionnaires" and "our health profile" but ended when they asked to verify my identity. My response is the same - you called me at the contact number listed on the record, and how do I first verify your identity? The card processers were calling about suspected fraud, but followed the same pattern. Where the insurers seemed confused and surprised at my questioning of their identity, the bank reps quick and easy response (please call the number on the back of your card and ask for the fraud dept) confirmed to me that many people response this way.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #14

This is a good site for checking phone numbers that call you

http://800notes.com/
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #15

The problem I have with reverse-checking phone numbers online is that it has become pretty easy to spoof caller ID with a bogus number. If a scammer knows BCBS' fraud line number, what's to stop them from entering it into their spoof software?

If I call the number, I know whom I'm getting.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
This is a good site for checking phone numbers that call you

http://800notes.com/
Yes, see my post #6. - ERD50
Old 01-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
The problem I have with reverse-checking phone numbers online is that it has become pretty easy to spoof caller ID with a bogus number. If a scammer knows BCBS' fraud line number, what's to stop them from entering it into their spoof software?

If I call the number, I know whom I'm getting.

That too.