Blues songs like "The Sky is Crying" by S. Vaughn

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I get chills every time I hear it by Stevie Ray Vaughn. I listen to the blues channel on sirius, but am wondering if you all have any suggestions of similar blues songs for my new playlist?

I should add that another one of my favorites is bb king when he teamed up with clapton...love it

The three Kings: B.B., Albert, and Freddie; Albert Collins; Sonny Landreth; Eric Clapton; Robert Cray; Kenny Wayne Shepherd; Roy Buchanan; Howlin' Wolf; John Lee Hooker; Muddy Waters; Little Walter; Willie Dixon...

I should add that another one of my favorites is bb king when he teamed up with clapton...love it

If you liked that album you might want to check out Doyle Bramhall II. I believe he wrote a couple of the songs on it, and is also featured. I can recommend his album Jellycream.

The three Kings: B.B., Albert, and Freddie; Albert Collins; Sonny Landreth; Eric Clapton; Robert Cray; Kenny Wayne Shepherd; Roy Buchanan; Howlin' Wolf; John Lee Hooker; Muddy Waters; Little Walter; Willie Dixon...

Lightnin' Hopkins, Gary Moore, Joe Bonnamassa, Elmore James, Little Milton, Bonnie Raitt, Katie Webster, Keb Mo, and the list goes on and on.

Since you like SRV so much, have you ever listened to Tin Pan Alley, on the Couldn't Stand The Weather album (or any of the live versions)? IMO it's his best vocal song, and one of the best guitar parts I've ever heard. Sends chills down my spine.

Another fun white boy blues album is EC From the Cradle.

One more sure sign you're getting old: thread title "Blues songs like "The Sky is Crying" by S. Vaughn"

Foolish me, I thought he meant Sarah Vaughn.

Stevie Ray was great, too, though.

Yup! I thought Sarah Vaughn, though I love Stevie's work as well.

I almost envy the thefed's quest. I still recall the first time I recognized "the Blues" as a genre and then slowly became aware of the many nuances, textures, colors, shapes, tones, performers (living and deceased), "cities" (NOLA, CHI, Memphis, etc.) that made up the Blues. A time of awakening for a boy raised on other musical genres.

I assume thefed is way ahead of where I was then. Still the quest is the thing. Happy hunting, thefed. :greetings10:

Try out Corey Stevens. He used to do a SRV tribute, but is very good in his own right. Los Lonely Boys, Indigenous, Doyle Bramhall Senior. Senior is who Stevie learned to sing from. I like Smokin' Joe Kubek a lot for the Texas style blues. Also one of my favorite blues guy is Tab Benoit. Debbie Davies, Sue Foley for blueschicks, Albert Collins , Freddie King, Albert King, Buddy Guy obviously... Tommy Castro, Coco Montoya, Chuck Alvarez... Shemekia Copeland... Dennis Jones, Jimmie Vaughan (duh!), James Harman, Joe Louis Walker, uh, let's see, Lonnie Brooks, Koko Taylor, Luther Allison, Peter Green, Robert Cray, Robben Ford, Roomful of Blues, Duke Robillard, Kim Wilson, Charley Musselwhite, Fabulous Thunderbirds,... Slim Harpo, Snooky Pryor just off the top of my head.

If you liked that album you might want to check out Doyle Bramhall II. I believe he wrote a couple of the songs on it, and is also featured. I can recommend his album Jellycream.

I love "Welcome" w/Smokestack!

Seconding some of the above and add a couple:
Colin James - Far Away Like a Radio
Keb Mo - Flat Broke and Busted
Jimmy Thackeray - Bad Luck Blues
Peter Green - Walkin the Road
Walter Trout - Blues Guitar
Joe Kubek - My Dog's Still Walkin (even if he's walkin slow)
Doyle Bramhall - Green Light Girl

+1 to all the good artists already mentioned. I also love the Blues and listen almost exclusively.
I didn't hear anyone mention Van Morrison yet so I thought I'd throw that name into the pot as well.
I'm lucky here because I can see Tab Benoit quite often whenever he is around these parts.

Not really a blues song, but a similar ethereal guitar part on a great song - Feels Like Rain on John Hiatt's Slow Turning album.

Down in the Flood by Derek Trucks Band

Feelin' Bad Blues - Ry Cooder

It's Bad You Know - R.L. Burnside

Just a few individual songs I can think of that I've listened to recently that seem to fall into the style you were talking about.

Oh, I shouldn't even get started on this thread....

Lightnin' Hopkins, Gary Moore, Joe Bonnamassa, Elmore James, Little Milton, Bonnie Raitt, Katie Webster, Keb Mo, and the list goes on and on.

Since you like SRV so much, have you ever listened to Tin Pan Alley, on the Couldn't Stand The Weather album (or any of the live versions)? IMO it's his best vocal song, and one of the best guitar parts I've ever heard. Sends chills down my spine.

Another fun white boy blues album is EC From the Cradle.

Very good start, and the list does go on and on - and I have to agree that Tin Pan Alley is, for me, the most 'chilling' and 'haunting' of any SRV I've heard (and I like a lot of his stuff - not the 'rocker' tunes so much, but the blues - yea). Like Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' for me, you have to be in a special frame of mind to listen to Tin Pan Alley and absorb it. Then it's magic.

While there is (IMO) a great deal of 'fluf' in Eric Clapton's discography, From the Cradle is a real gem. I think it was Guitar Player magazine that had a great interview with Clapton about the album. Unfortunately, the liner notes have nothing. :(

-ERD50

I like Robin Trower too.

And don't forget Jimi Hendrix! He performed quite a few classic blues songs. Stevie Ray Vaugn plays quite a bit of Jimi's stuff.

Here is a list of "Classic Blues Songs" and known artist or writer. http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bluesong.html

There is a pretty cool recording of Albert King and Stevie doing "Born Under A Bad Sign" on iTunes - check it out!

Audrey

I always got a big kick out of SRV's version of "Superstition". Here is the fun music video. (Hint - another famous Stevie musician makes an appearance)

Audrey

I didn't like that one quite as much as Jellycream. Both are good, though.

I like Arc Angels a lot as well. Just got inspired to download D. B. Sr.'s "Is It News" and really dig it.

Back
Top Bottom