Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Blues songs like "The Sky is Crying" by S. Vaughn
Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blues songs like "The Sky is Crying" by S. Vaughn

I get chills every time I hear it by Stevie Ray Vaughn. I listen to the blues channel on sirius, but am wondering if you all have any suggestions of similar blues songs for my new playlist?
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

I should add that another one of my favorites is bb king when he teamed up with clapton...love it
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The three Kings: B.B., Albert, and Freddie; Albert Collins; Sonny Landreth; Eric Clapton; Robert Cray; Kenny Wayne Shepherd; Roy Buchanan; Howlin' Wolf; John Lee Hooker; Muddy Waters; Little Walter; Willie Dixon...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I should add that another one of my favorites is bb king when he teamed up with clapton...love it

If you liked that album you might want to check out Doyle Bramhall II. I believe he wrote a couple of the songs on it, and is also featured. I can recommend his album Jellycream.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

One more sure sign you're getting old: thread title "Blues songs like "The Sky is Crying" by S. Vaughn"

Foolish me, I thought he meant Sarah Vaughn.

Stevie Ray was great, too, though.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The three Kings: B.B., Albert, and Freddie; Albert Collins; Sonny Landreth; Eric Clapton; Robert Cray; Kenny Wayne Shepherd; Roy Buchanan; Howlin' Wolf; John Lee Hooker; Muddy Waters; Little Walter; Willie Dixon...
Lightnin' Hopkins, Gary Moore, Joe Bonnamassa, Elmore James, Little Milton, Bonnie Raitt, Katie Webster, Keb Mo, and the list goes on and on.

Since you like SRV so much, have you ever listened to Tin Pan Alley, on the Couldn't Stand The Weather album (or any of the live versions)? IMO it's his best vocal song, and one of the best guitar parts I've ever heard. Sends chills down my spine.

Another fun white boy blues album is EC From the Cradle.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
One more sure sign you're getting old: thread title "Blues songs like "The Sky is Crying" by S. Vaughn"

Foolish me, I thought he meant Sarah Vaughn.

Stevie Ray was great, too, though.
Yup! I thought Sarah Vaughn, though I love Stevie's work as well.

I almost envy the thefed's quest. I still recall the first time I recognized "the Blues" as a genre and then slowly became aware of the many nuances, textures, colors, shapes, tones, performers (living and deceased), "cities" (NOLA, CHI, Memphis, etc.) that made up the Blues. A time of awakening for a boy raised on other musical genres.

I assume thefed is way ahead of where I was then. Still the quest is the thing. Happy hunting, thefed.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #9

Try out Corey Stevens. He used to do a SRV tribute, but is very good in his own right. Los Lonely Boys, Indigenous, Doyle Bramhall Senior. Senior is who Stevie learned to sing from. I like Smokin' Joe Kubek a lot for the Texas style blues. Also one of my favorite blues guy is Tab Benoit. Debbie Davies, Sue Foley for blueschicks, Albert Collins , Freddie King, Albert King, Buddy Guy obviously... Tommy Castro, Coco Montoya, Chuck Alvarez... Shemekia Copeland... Dennis Jones, Jimmie Vaughan (duh!), James Harman, Joe Louis Walker, uh, let's see, Lonnie Brooks, Koko Taylor, Luther Allison, Peter Green, Robert Cray, Robben Ford, Roomful of Blues, Duke Robillard, Kim Wilson, Charley Musselwhite, Fabulous Thunderbirds,... Slim Harpo, Snooky Pryor just off the top of my head.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
If you liked that album you might want to check out Doyle Bramhall II. I believe he wrote a couple of the songs on it, and is also featured. I can recommend his album Jellycream.
I love "Welcome" w/Smokestack!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Johnny Winter---saw him live in St. Louis a month ago----still great!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I love "Welcome" w/Smokestack!
I didn't like that one quite as much as Jellycream. Both are good, though.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seconding some of the above and add a couple:
Colin James - Far Away Like a Radio
Keb Mo - Flat Broke and Busted
Jimmy Thackeray - Bad Luck Blues
Peter Green - Walkin the Road
Walter Trout - Blues Guitar
Joe Kubek - My Dog's Still Walkin (even if he's walkin slow)
Doyle Bramhall - Green Light Girl
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Stevie Ray~ Still in Austin

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #15

Great song.

Why not make yourself a "Sky is Crying" CD or mp3 "album"?

Here are just some of the artists who have their own versions

More here: The Sky Is Crying (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the original, by Elmore James:

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 to all the good artists already mentioned. I also love the Blues and listen almost exclusively.
I didn't hear anyone mention Van Morrison yet so I thought I'd throw that name into the pot as well.
I'm lucky here because I can see Tab Benoit quite often whenever he is around these parts.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Not really a blues song, but a similar ethereal guitar part on a great song - Feels Like Rain on John Hiatt's Slow Turning album.

Down in the Flood by Derek Trucks Band

Feelin' Bad Blues - Ry Cooder

It's Bad You Know - R.L. Burnside

Just a few individual songs I can think of that I've listened to recently that seem to fall into the style you were talking about.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I shouldn't even get started on this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Lightnin' Hopkins, Gary Moore, Joe Bonnamassa, Elmore James, Little Milton, Bonnie Raitt, Katie Webster, Keb Mo, and the list goes on and on.

Since you like SRV so much, have you ever listened to Tin Pan Alley, on the Couldn't Stand The Weather album (or any of the live versions)? IMO it's his best vocal song, and one of the best guitar parts I've ever heard. Sends chills down my spine.

Another fun white boy blues album is EC From the Cradle.
Very good start, and the list does go on and on - and I have to agree that Tin Pan Alley is, for me, the most 'chilling' and 'haunting' of any SRV I've heard (and I like a lot of his stuff - not the 'rocker' tunes so much, but the blues - yea). Like Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' for me, you have to be in a special frame of mind to listen to Tin Pan Alley and absorb it. Then it's magic.

While there is (IMO) a great deal of 'fluf' in Eric Clapton's discography, From the Cradle is a real gem. I think it was Guitar Player magazine that had a great interview with Clapton about the album. Unfortunately, the liner notes have nothing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Some great covers of the song.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #20

Stevie Ray's version of Little Wing is beautiful.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote