Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the information on the 2014 diesel machines offered by Chrysler.

When comparing mileage be sure to adjust for the fact that diesel fuel contains about 11% more energy than non-ethanol gasoline.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

When comparing mileage be sure to adjust for the fact that diesel fuel contains about 11% more energy than non-ethanol gasoline.
It's true that diesel is more energy dense than regular gasoline and especially more dense than "gasohol". I would politely suggest that a better comparison would be to "pump price" for diesel. Most places, diesel has been running significantly higher prices than gasoline. IOW cost/mile would be more useful to me than mile/gallon. Just my way of looking at it as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

But you don't really need to adjust for that - you buy both by the gallon. An advantage of a diesel engine is that it can use that denser BTU fuel. If you are trying to measure the raw efficiency of a diesel engine versus a gasoline engine, then yes, you adjust for BTU content in, power out.

But diesel is more expensive these days, so that should be taken into account n any financial analysis.

_ERD50
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm sure it being worked on somewhere.....(self driving cars)
Google has a pretty massive project a dozen cars more than 500K miles of mostly accident free driving. (They had one rear ender, and one time when the car was being driven by human he had an accident.)

Self driving cars are legal in 3 states, NV, FL, and CA.

Currently the equipment for the GoogleCars cost $150K sensitive radar system. However this years winner of the top prize in the Intel International Science was 19 year Romanian student who developed a car driving system using webcams that can be built for $4k

Realistically most of us on the forum, should stop driving in the next 20 to 45 years. Now how many of us will give up our license voluntarily, especially us guys, is an open question.

I am pretty excited about the technology because I think it will allow me to remind independent without endangering other. This is Google video is good demo.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Google has a pretty massive project a dozen cars more than 500K miles of mostly accident free driving. (They had one rear ender, and one time when the car was being driven by human he had an accident.)

Self driving cars are legal in 3 states, NV, FL, and CA

I am pretty excited about the technology because I think it will allow me to remind independent without endangering other. This is Google video is good demo.
Question: will it become legal for drunks to operate self-driving cars? If not, I'd suggest on some level that the technology may not be ready. Because if it were, this would be similar to taking a cab home with a sober cabbie, and potentially even safer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Question: will it become legal for drunks to operate self-driving cars? If not, I'd suggest on some level that the technology may not be ready. Because if it were, this would be similar to taking a cab home with a sober cabbie, and potentially even safer.
I don't know the legal status, but once these cars go mainstream it would seem to me that it should be illegal for an "impaired driver" to operate the vehicle but perfectly okay to be in the back seat.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not for any diesel automobiles sold in the U.S. since 2009 when the standards changed. They now meet Tier II BIN 5 standards like all gasoline vehicles.
Sure about that? From everything I've read each carmakers fleet must meet Tier II Bin 5, not each vehicle. Just one of three sources I found with Google:
Quote:
EPA's newest standards, called "Tier 2," provide auto manufacturers with an array of emissions standards they can choose for any particular vehicle model, as long as all the new vehicles they sell in a given model year fall below a required average (bin 5).
Frequent Questions | Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA
Not all diesels match the Jetta TDI, that was all I was saying.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #48

Now that we are enjoying our Prius V, I wouldn't consider a diesel. Especially that diesel fuel is about $.50 a gallon higher than gasoline. Another thing I can't figure since it takes less to refine diesel than it does gasoline. I'll have to talk to my nephew who is working with the diesel hybrid for over the road semi trucks. Right now they have them in smaller fleets trucks like FedEx.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Now that we are enjoying our Prius V, I wouldn't consider a diesel. Especially that diesel fuel is about $.50 a gallon higher than gasoline. Another thing I can't figure since it takes less to refine diesel than it does gasoline.
I've heard (not confirmed) that the relative price of diesel vs gasoline is not so tightly linked to the cost of production as it is to supply and demand. European government policies artificially inflate demand for diesel. Again, that's not a fully researched answer.

Based on the energy content, from a technical standpoint diesel is worth a little more.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #50

[QUOTE=samclem;1343920]I've heard (not confirmed) that the relative price of diesel vs gasoline is not so tightly linked to the cost of production as it is to supply and demand. European government policies artificially inflate demand for diesel. Again, that's not a fully researched answer.

Yes, I believe that supply/demand is also part of the equation.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've heard (not confirmed) that the relative price of diesel vs gasoline is not so tightly linked to the cost of production as it is to supply and demand.
Economics 101 - Price is a function of supply and demand.

Cost of production will certainly affect supply, of course. Just as substitutes affect demand for a product.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #52

Since we're getting a diesel car soon, I've been watching the price of diesel lately. In central Ohio diesel has averaged about the same price as premium gasoline. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Always fairly close.

Today, for example, GasBuddy reports in my area that there is one station with premium at 3.59, while everyone else is selling it for above 3.72. Diesel starts at 3.67, but this price is available from half a dozen stations.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Here is an interview with Bob Lutz former vice-chairman of GM. He believes that introducing small electric vehicles first was a mistake, and there was much more to be gained electrifying the big trucks since the savings in fuel would have been much more dramatic.

Quote:
The realization came to me suddenly late that the right place to electrify is at the heavy end, with full-size pickups and SUVs, which America loves but which are a somewhat endangered species with fuel-economy regulations.
Electric-vehicle convert Bob Lutz keeps plugging away | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #54

This is due next year from Audi:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/au...tron.html?_r=0

I like the styling better, looks pretty much like the regular A3. So you can have a direct comparison between this and the gas only version.

Not an electric so much as a plug-in hybrid though.

I think it's like 32000 Euros, which is like $45k at current exchange rates. Regular A3 starts around $30k? So you're paying 50% more for the plug-in hybrid, if Audi prices the US version as a straight conversion by FX rates. Of course, who knows what the exchange rate will be next year when it comes to the US.