Join Early Retirement Today

BoA is screwing me
Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

BoA is screwing me

My recent experience with BoA has a set a new standard in how a company can screw me.

I have a reward credit card that returns 1% of my purchases in the form of a yearly rewards check. I've had this card with MBNA for the last 12 years without any major problems. This year, MBNA was purchased by BoA. I got my reward check as usual last month and deposited it into my credit union.

About 2 weeks later, I get a notice from my credit union that the check was returned!? WTF?! Not only did the check get returned because the "account couldn't be found", I also got charged a $15 fee for a returned check!!! I've called BoA about 3 times and each time (after a long hold), I have to explain my situation again and they all profess that they need to "research" the situation with the "rewards department". I've faxed them the returned check and other bank paperwork so they have everything. I went on a 2 week vacation and still haven't received a call back from them. I called them up yesterday and this time threatened to take them to small claims court (may not have been a good idea, but I was so freaking pissed at this point). The supervisor guy promised to call me back in 1 week after his "research". I can never get a number to call these guys because they say they don't have outside lines!! My guess is the after the merger, the rewards bank accounts got closed but they still issued the checks.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Any ideas on how to approach this?
How frustrating. And the amount in question is probably more than you want to ignore, but not so much that it's worth getting all legal over it.

What I would do, and plan to do as soon as I retire, is fire BOA.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #3

Call the Better Business Bureau! I've used them three times, once with my mortgage company , a travel agency and Comcast. Within two weeks each problem was resolved promptly and I got my checks. I don't screw around with nuckle head customer service people anymore. The last thing these companies want is to be on the bad list of the BBB. They even have a website so you can file your complaint online. Good luck
Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since it is a credit union, it should be easy to have the "returned check" fee waived...just ask...then write a letter to OCC OCC: Consumer Complaints and Assistance (since I believe that they regulate credit card companies) and cc BOA...document the situation and keep to the facts....

I have had a few bank complaints and it always work to do this...
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
gone traveling

WanderALot

They bounced a check on you. CA law allows you to collect something like $300.00 or three times the amount of the check! Might be more now.

I'd write a short note to them to them to remind them.

BOA is my bank. I can deal with them online and lately they've been real nice the few times I've ventured into the branches. Now Wells Fargo!!!! Bastids.

I'll have to post my story of how Wells Fargo tried to cheat me out of $1,000 and ended up giving me $15,000. They were more comfortable not admiting they were wrong than to ask for the money!! Shortly before this I became aware that my neighbor shorted them out of $10,000. When I called to report the $10,000 shortage (my neighbor bragged to me the story but not the bank so when he tried to sue me over a fence I guessed the bank when I won the case and he had to pay me with a check) on a specific date in a specific area they needed further information to match it to that $10,000 shortage.
They came to my work for a statement and I had all the info but they chose not to proceed. $25,000 loss to two customers!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I'll have to post my story of how Wells Fargo tried to cheat me out of $1,000 and ended up giving me $15,000. They were more comfortable not admiting they were wrong than to ask for the money!!
This is too good to let pass. I need to know the details
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If they bounced a check on you, take out a warrant for their arrest of the person that signed it, if they do not pay it within a month.

Sadly I have to do it alot for customers that bounce checks and refuse to pay them. It cost about 100 bucks but is soooooo worth it
Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg flaming-bag-of-poo.jpg (32.1 KB, 137 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

ROTFLMAO!

CFB, you have entirely too much time on your hands.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you do not get a response from them within a week or two...

There is some regulatory entity that you can file a complaint with... state or federal. Check with your state attorney general. In our state I think it is the Dept of Commerce. You can probably file the complaint online.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
There is some regulatory entity that you can file a complaint with... state or federal.
yeah...I already posted it...the OCC...Like I said, you wont get a response from them in a timely manner unless you do....I like the idea of suing them...or dropping a pile flaming poop..(actually, I would just do that in addition)....
Old 07-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the same MBNA now BofA boat. Keep me posted. Was it a check for $250?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
ROTFLMAO!

CFB, you have entirely too much time on your hands.
And truer words have never been spoken.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Hey thats just going to be my standard response from now on. Give me bad service, screw up my account...get a flaming bag of pooh.

I feel good, they feel bad, its all good.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey thats just going to be my standard response from now on. Give me bad service, screw up my account...get a flaming bag of pooh.

I feel good, they feel bad, its all good.
BOA will charge you a processing free for cleaning it up, plus shoe shine costs.

They'll deduct it from your 0.0001% APR savings account.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Worth every penny.

Plus i'll be sure to get on the phone and scrutinize the fee schedule with them. If I come away unsatisfied...hell...I've got three 100lb dogs...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
BOA will charge you a processing free for cleaning it up, plus shoe shine costs.

They'll deduct it from your 0.0001% APR savings account.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Worth every penny.

Plus i'll be sure to get on the phone and scrutinize the fee schedule with them. .

That is devious, devious, devious!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm in the same MBNA now BofA boat. Keep me posted. Was it a check for $250?
It was a reward check of about $210. I checked my account this morning, and it looks like they have issued a credit for $210, but not the $15 bounced check fee. Bastards.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you guys updated when/if something changes.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #20

I'm having issues with them too. I've been trying to roll my wifes old IRA with them into Vanguard. Trouble is, its in her maiden name, and Vanguard is in her married name. BOA has refused several transfer requests. Dang, its the same dang SSN!

We have submitted TWO name change documents, as requested by BOA staff. Stuff is getting lost between the local offices and corporate or something.

I am going to have them just cut a plain old check and mail it to us.