Boats we own(ed)

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Yes... there have been many threads on this, but we like the subject so much that it's a chance to share experiences, pictures, stories and memories.
It will take some time to put together a list, but this for starters.

Spent 100's of hours in this 1950's 17 ft. mahogany Thompson runabout, in Narragansett Bay... from Barrington to Providence, to Newport and every anchorage along the way. Fishing, swimming, skiing, clamming and watching air shows at Quonset Naval Air Station. Our kids grew up in bathing suits and could sail our plywood (original) 1951 Sunfish at age 5.

Your boats?

Attachments

• 1950sThompson.jpg
    1950sThompson.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OMG, that is the same boat DH had for ~45 years! He had it when we married so maybe he bought it in the early '60s. Finally sold it about 1999 to a guy who appreciated vintage wood boats. Only change was that DH re-enforced the transom and put 2 45 hp Mercs on the boat (for safety as he would take it out the mouth of the Columbia River 15-20 miles into the Pacific). He told me that once he water skied the Columbia River Bar which is usually the roughest in the country. There isn't a better design for stability in rough water. Always garaged when not in the water.

I would need to dig back in the family photos for fishing, crabbing, waterskiing with the kids.

Last edited:
I have never owned a boat, and probably never will. That said, I'm sure that boat has lots of happy memories for you, imoldernu.

Owned a Searay 175BR for four years. Lots of tales of drunken debauchery... Sold it because it wasn't getting much use, and storage became an issue.

If I ever get another boat, big if, it would be a pontoon boat.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1429672210.203710.jpg

16 Hobie Cat catamaran
24 foot Southcoast sailboat
28 foot Morgan Out Island sailboat (we lived aboard in the Bahamas for the summer in 2003)
34 foot Marine Trader trawler sold in 2013.
Loved them all, plenty of good times with friends aboard, but happy now as non boat owners for the time being.

Currently own 1960s era Sunfish, Trac 14 catamaran, O'Day Daysailer II, 2003 Larson 180 SEI (will sell in a few weeks... have a buyer lined up), Honda AquaTrax jet ski and the latest addition was a 20' Bennington pontoon boat.

Lots of great memories on each, especially the O'Day which was our stalwart for many years. I remember when I first got the Honda (10' of 165hp turbocharged) it was scary quick and scary fast.... but within a month I was totally used to it.

Attachments

• 00T0T_awmdB8CStKb_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_awmdB8CStKb_600x450.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 16
A Sunflower!

Here's a pic of a later model one:
Google Image Result for https://www.sailboatstogo.com/images/sunflowerLZ4-1.jpg

Lateen rigged, has a daggerboard, mine had a room door hinge to replace the broken rudder hinge. Was a long time ago...

My older brother and I bought one of the "Cool Cigarettes" sea snarks back in the early 70's Cost ? 2 empty cool cigarette cartons and $52 money order , and signing a statement certifying being legal age to buy cigarettes ( big lie) price included shipping. I'l post a photo if I can fine one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snark_...nt_for_Kool_Cigarettes_and_Snark_Sailboat.jpg

Great little boat , even if it was a floating billboard on the sail.The snark was the cheaper raw Styrofoam hull version of the sunflower.

The guy at the liquor store we pestered for the empty cartons thought we were nuts .

After that , A Hobie 14 catamaran ,A shared ownership of a Columbia 26, and still have an Aqua Cat 14 Catamaran. Reminds me, time to go sailing, it hasn't been in the water in about 10 years.

Last edited:
I had a canoe as a kid, maybe 11-12. That think leaked like a sieve but I took it on the intercostal with two paddles and a bailing can. Loved it.

Around the same time my father and I built a jon boat. It was a great project and a fun boat.

Haven't owned one since, though.

Current assortment includes:
2003 MasterCraft ProStar
2014 22' Harris FloteBote
(2) 1998 SeaDoo XPS JetSkis
10' West Marine Dinghy
2 person kayak
Stand-up paddleboard

Here I am learning to sail on a Dolphin Sr, circa 1974. I've owned 6 boats since then, 4 were J/Boats- Better Sailboats for People Who Love Sailing..

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats. In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not." from The Wind in the Willows

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 15
Here is our little trailer sailboat, a Montgomery M17. It has a small cabin that sleeps 2 and a 600 pound lead keel. This photo was taken in the San Juan Islands in WA state (I don't think we had crossed into Canada yet).

Attachments

• M17.jpg
    M17.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 16
Here is our little trailer sailboat, a Montgomery M17. It has a small cabin that sleeps 2 and a 600 pound lead keel. This photo was taken in the San Juan Islands in WA state (I don't think we had crossed into Canada yet).

That voyage takes seamanship! Passage from Friday Harbor to Bellingham is often.. interesting.

That voyage takes seamanship! Passage from Friday Harbor to Bellingham is often.. interesting.

We have quite a bit of experience but really it was a pretty mild trip given the calm summer weather. Knowing the tides and currents is what counts, especially in a 17 foot boat that is design limited to about 6.5 knots close hauled. Going against a 4 knot current....sucks (alternatively, going with a 4 knot current wing on wing and you are flying).

We didn't start at Friday Harbor though...we started at Anacortes.

Here's the kind of boat that I've owned (photo linked from the Web).

If I lived in the Puget Sound, AND had my dream house with a water front, I would get some kind of boat to go crabbing. But as a landlubber in the southwest, a boat would not get much use.

colorful-paper-boat-wallpaper,1366x768,63192.jpg

The thread has started the memory juices flowing.
If you have time, let me tell you about my Brother-in-law Jack, and his boating experiences...

This happened many years ago, and he has since passed away. too young...
Jack was by no means mentally impaired. As a VP at Amica, quite successful.
Thing is, he wasn't much into "fixing", and his home tool chest consisted of one Phillips screwdriver, an ice cube cracker hammer, and a bent table knife.
We bought him a home handyman kit for Christmas and after he passed away, 5 years later, we found the screwdriver, hammer and kitchen knife, but the kit was still in the Christmas wrapping in the back of a closet.

We all lived in Rhode Island and spent a lot of time at the beaches and in the bay, boating. Now this was around the time of transition in boats, from wood to Fiberglas. Rhode Island has many, many boat yards, and it is common to see dozens or even hundreds of boats, up on the ways... (ways are the stilts that hold the boat upright when out of the water) Many, many wooden boats... big cabincruisers and yachts. Wooden boats that the owners just kept, after they upgraded to fiberglas, because they thought they had value.
A side story here... Uncle Dean, a policeman, bought a 55 footer, small yacht for $3000, and just painted the outside with house paint, and left it on the ways. Saturday nights, the police, their wives and the auxillary would all show up, climb the ladder and party til Sunday morning. Very elegant... even though the boat would never, ever go to sea again.

Anyway, Jack decides to become a boater, though he's essentially helpless about fixing, and not to inclined to adventure beyond the easy chair, watching TV. He finds a 25 foot Chris Craft cabin cruiser... very nice, and buys it for the low price of $5000, then adds a $1500 trailer and brings it home to the driveway, to spruce it up, and detail it. New windows in front, and new galley appliances, matresses, curtains and stuff, so it looks beautiful. He and my other brother inlaw then paint the boat, new copper bottom paint and refinish some of the mahogany.
Then to the boatyard for an engine cleanup and check. By now, an additional $3000...

A week later, the maiden voyage... out of the boatyard slip in Warwick (with help) and out into the bay for the trial run around Prudence Island. Or at least halfway around. Stopped to fish, and the boat woudn't restart. Towed back to the harbor... Diagnosis... starter engine failure... rusted and burned out. Now, for those who haven't been there, the starter motor on this boat is under the engine, and there is no access except to drydock the boat, remove floorboards, and other built in stuff... and to use a crane to lift the engine out of the boat for repair. In the process, broke one of the new windows. A weeks work, and another $2000 later... (and total cruising time of 1/2 hour under power)... and all's well and ready to go again.

Family and friends... two weekends out for trips around the bay, and Jack is in boater heaven... beautiful boat... captain and owner of a full fledged yacht. Life doesn't get any better than this.

Back up a bit... When the boat was in Jacks yard, and they were painting, they found this four inch patch of metal screwed to the outside bottom of the boat. All corroded and looking messy. Ground off the corrosion and put several coats of paint on top of the plate. Now, unless you're a power boater, you may not know that the boat needs a ground... actually a ground to the water. That's a sacrificial metal plate.

Jack goes away for two weeks, and on return there's a message, to call the boat yard... "Hello... Jack?... Your boat just sank at the slip... sitting on the bottom. What do you want us to do?" When the sacrificial zinc plate didn't ground the boat, the screws holding it in got rusty and the plate which was part of a hull plug, had disintegrated and opened a hole in the bottom.

Jack didn't give up easily... long and short... had the boat hauled out, engine removed and overhauled, all new upholstery, new everything... costing about $4,000... and went on to:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Selling the boat for $5,000. We figured that his great buy cost about $1500 an hour for the time he used the boat. A perfect example of the saying that 'the first day when you purchase a boat, is the second happiest day of your life'.

As I recall, the boat was a 25 foot Chris Craft Cavalier like this.

Attachments

• Cavalier.jpg
    Cavalier.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Heh, about a 12 foot rowboat when I was 12 or so. Used to keep it chained to a tree at the lake 2 blocks from the house and be gone on it all the time. Managed to get myself stuck real good on a stump out in the middle of the lake and only got off when I hit on the idea of using the rope with the 3 sash weights tied to it that served as anchor to hook another stump and pull myself off.

Then a 17 foot wood boat with fiberglassing powered by a 7.5 horse outboard. Ran all over Barnegat bay (very slowly) with that.

Last was a canoe I left behind when we escaped NJ. That s probably the last boat I will own, unless I end up inheriting Dad's Mako that is as old as I am.

My Boats

Pygmy kayak, Necky, Folbot single & double

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 104
I have had several from my teenage years onward - 12 ft wood runabout (25hp Johnson); 14 ft plywood inboard (40HP Graymarine); Nordex Bat (12 ft sailboat); 16ft Sea Ray (65HP Merc); 16 ft Silverline I/O (65Hp I/O). I promised myself that I would not get another boat unless I lived on the water. The best situation is to know someone who owns a boat!

Back
Top Bottom