Join Early Retirement Today

Bob Dylan at large again
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bob Dylan at large again

Like a complete unknown: Bob Dylan frogmarched to collect ID after rookie policewoman fails to recognise scruffy music legend | Mail Online

Good to see that fame doesn't prevent a person being stopped and checked out by the law. After my stop for "agitated walking" a couple years ago I'm sensitive to this stuff. 'Course Dylan always did look pretty dubious to me.

Interesting that the cops quoted sound so... British.. in the story. Yet those are quotation marks and it's printed in the paper so it must be true... probably just a matter of a strong New Jersey accent.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She is 22 and from a completely different time:
Quote:
'The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us. I offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums. Unfortunately, she doesn't know what vinyl is either.'
I've learned that around my house when you want to talk about some cultural figure from any time earlier than 1999, you have to preface the discussion with some background material. If not, I get blank stares from the kids.

I hope the youngster gets her shot at revenge at the old cops who hammered her. When I was her age I chanced upon a guy who had been wanted for about a decade on a homicide charge. When I got him downtown and was doing the paperwork in Homicide, a couple of old time detectives were marveling about the age of the case. "I was in traffic enforcement when this murder happened", said one. The other replied that she had been "still in patrol". Then they both looked at me expectantly. "Gee guys, I was in 7th grade back then." I'm not sure which made them more angry, the response or the chuckle when I said it. They kicked me out of their office after that and closed the door.

Edit: For kicks I looked at the youngest kid's (17) iPod song list just to see if there was any "old" music on there. Along with more modern music, he's got some Dylan, along with: Bob Marley & the Wailers, Alice Cooper, Arlo Guthrie, Chuck Berry, Elvis, James Brown, Jethro Tull, Roy Orbison, Queen, Sam Cooke, Warren Zevon, etc. Much of that is my music that he liked and swiped, but for someone born in 1992 I think the choices were interesting.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Edit: For kicks I looked at the youngest kid's (17) iPod song list just to see if there was any "old" music on there. Along with more modern music, he's got some Dylan, along with: Bob Marley & the Wailers, Alice Cooper, Arlo Guthrie, Chuck Berry, Elvis, James Brown, Jethro Tull, Roy Orbison, Queen, Sam Cooke, Warren Zevon, etc. Much of that is my music that he liked and swiped, but for someone born in 1992 I think the choices were interesting.
I'll take credit for our kid's Blue Oyster Cult, Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Buffett. She found Marley on her own. Hawaiian music has revived Van Morrison around here. Jamie Foxx has done wonders for Ray Charles. But she still thinks "All Along The Watchtower" is a Hendrix composition...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
After my stop for "agitated walking" a couple years ago
I surely hope that you have reformed your ways by now.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My daughter knows more arcane stuff about "my" music than I do. When we take long car trips he creates iPod playlists of stuff "you will like but haven't heard of" and always gets it right.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if she was able to understand him. Neeheedahnaher hee hee neh.....
Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Dylan is a very artistically gifted person, which usually means eccentric also. I'll bet he did not pull the "celebrity tantrum" on purpose just for the fun of it.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Residents called to complain there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously"
Sounds like yet another case of racial/age based profiling. Won't the police in this country ever learn that a person's age, appearance, race, sex, etc., alone don't justify such heavy handed intervention? Of course...... it was New Jersey......

The policewoman sure acted "stupidly!" Hopefully, President Obama will intervene and have a beer with these two and use this as a teaching experience.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

She probably did not know that it was Zimmerman in disguise.

The first name is/was Bob
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

What's with the fascination that police somewhere fail to recognize a famous person. I'm sure there are all kinds of famous actors/actresses/musicians/politicians/etc who I would not recognize on sight. Why such surprise when some police or security person doesn't recognize them. For that matter what about celebrity look alikes.

There's some story in the news recently that an American security screener failed to recognize an Indian Bollywood star. Good grief. Not long ago there was a congresswoman who threw a fit because a security checkpoint didn't know who she was. Who cares. I'm glad everyone is getting their 15 second/minutes/hours/whatever of fame, but thinking that the WHOLE WORLD will recognize you because if it is absurd. Get over yourself.

In Bob Dylan's defense, I didn't see anything in the story that he was upset in any way about not being recognized. Just the other officers who seemed surprised and the general press reaction.
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
She probably did not know that it was Mark Zimmerman in disguise.
Actually I believe he was born Robert Zimmerman. Question for the law enforcement/lawyers, assuming that Dylan never legally changed his name (not sure if that is true or not) is it illegal to give a cop a ID saying you are Bob Dylan if that isn't your real name.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
In Bob Dylan's defense, I didn't see anything in the story that he was upset in any way about not being recognized.
Bob Dylan did nothing to require a defense. He's a real gentleman. However, I got quite a kick out of the police's report about Dylan "acting suspicious". I would love to see a video of that so I knew exactly what he did to arouse suspicion walking down the street.

I lose interest and no longer watch the Academy Awards in recent years, but remember one time when Bob Dylan was on stage to sing a song. The MC joked with the audience: "Don't worry about Bob. He always looks like that". Bob just shrugged it off.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Bob Dylan did nothing to require a defense. He's a real gentleman.
I didn't mean to imply he did. Many other celebrities in "fail to recognize me" stories threw tantrums of various sorts. I wanted to be clear that I wasn't implying that Bob Dylan did any such thing. He was just wandering around looking scruffy and then cooperated with officers when asked to do so.
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I apologize in advance in that I'm in a Woodstock frame of mind...

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

He was, and still is, an amazing artist.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The collection of talent on that stage was unbelievable.
One of my all time faves was George Harrison. He got my attention with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the White Album.
It took me a while to warm up to Dylan. I am enjoying him much more now than when I was <gulp> younger.
Didn't Dylan collaborate with Orbison, Cash and Kristofferson at one point?
The Highwaymen? The Journeymen? Help me out here...
Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
There was the Traveling Wilburys - amazing stuff:

Wiki - Traveling Wilburys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Youtube: a little taste!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The collection of talent on that stage was unbelievable.
One of my all time faves was George Harrison. He got my attention with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on the White Album.
It took me a while to warm up to Dylan. I am enjoying him much more now than when I was <gulp> younger.
It was George Harrison, Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty - The Travelling Wilburys.

Doh! Purron beat me to it.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
There's some story in the news recently that an American security screener failed to recognize an Indian Bollywood star. Good grief. Not long ago there was a congresswoman who threw a fit because a security checkpoint didn't know who she was. Who cares. I'm glad everyone is getting their 15 second/minutes/hours/whatever of fame, but thinking that the WHOLE WORLD will recognize you because if it is absurd. Get over yourself.
I guess that's how we tell whose staff called ahead and whose staff was supposed to call ahead. I'm sure TSA and all the rest of the world's security screeners would be happy to expedite the VIP processing and avoid the potential for disaster.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This is very interesting. Dylan was arrested for being old and white in an Hispanic area.

Gosh, does this remind anyone of anything?

I wonder what would happen if someone called the SPD and said "there's an old Mexican man in my white neighborhood. Better come have a look."

Ha
Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is this a case of WWW = Walking While White or WWD= Walking while Dylan.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.