Join Early Retirement Today

Book recommendation
Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Book recommendation

Hi all,

I have two children, 18 and 17. I am looking for a book that teaches the value of money (not necessarily ER) to young adults. Hopefully, something that's realistic, interesting, and in-sync with the younger generation.

Thanks,
Sam

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Book recommendation
Old 04-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Sam!! My boys are 21 and 19 - "The Richest Man in Babylon" is a slim book that is easy to read; and (I know I will catch flak on this board for mentioning her name) Suze Orman is a good one for catching young people's attention (OK, I don't always agree with her, but if you were 18 she'd at least be semi-interesting to read!); David Bach is simple (to understand); "The Coffeehouse Investor" is good; "The Armchair Investor" is also easy to understand. OK guys, remember - Sam asked for books that would hold 18 year old's attention, NOT tomes that we all have slogged through!!!!! Do they drive? If you have a tape/CD player in the car, these books on tape would be good.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

I know the only kind of books that held my attention when I was 18 had nothing to do with the value of money!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #4

The Teenagers Guide to the Real World by Marshal Brain has a great chapter on money for teens.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I know the only kind of books that held my attention when I was 18 had nothing to do with the value of money!
And they usually had fold out pictures.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

How about "Money & the Meaning of Life" by Needleman?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...g=UTF8&s=books

It meant alot to me.... depends on how mature the kid is though.
Kind of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.. but about money.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
The Teenagers Guide to the Real World by Marshal Brain has a great chapter on money for teens.
An excellent read. Our daughter owns it, professes to be disgusted by it, and is secretly thrilled to be learning what's important to grownup life.

I also recommend the "Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens", thankfully written mostly from the words & stories of teens instead of those Gardner fools. Another great read highly endorsed by our 13-year-old.

It might be a stretch for a teen, but you have a daughter, right? In that case I'd recommend "Millionaire Women Next Door". It recycles a lot of "The Millionaire Next Door" but with a healthy slug of grrrrl power and the stories of women who are doing it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sam, Sam, Sam......

You've got the right idea.* But the book has to be just one tool you use to get the job done.* The number one tool is YOU!

One early morning in northern Ontario, my son and I were paddling through the mist trolling leeches on spinner rigs looking for a walleye for breakfast.* About the time the sun was breaking through, he asked how we were able to afford being there, would we be able to come again, etc.* That was my opening.* Over the next several days, I presented a few brief scenarios about managing life's assets and opportunities.* It took.

Hope you get lots and lots of good suggestions for books for the young ones to read.* I know with your personal insight and advise, they'll get the message. *

Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Check Out "The Wealthy Barber".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...Fencoding=UTF8
Old 04-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #10

Thank you all for your inputs.* I will order the "The teenager's guide to the real world".

Thank you Nords. for the additional recommendations on the "Motley Fool..." and "The Millionaire..." books.* I think I will wait until they graduate from college before suggesting those book.* I want them to have a solid understanding of the value of money, but not obsessed with money or with getting rich at this stage of their life.

Sam

Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Thank you Nords. for the additional recommendations on the "Motley Fool..." and "The Millionaire..." books.* I think I will wait until they graduate from college before suggesting those book.* I want them to have a solid understanding of the value of money, but not obsessed with money or with getting rich at this stage of their life.
When I read them, I picked up more on the comments about getting out of debt and LBYM than I did on any fantasizing about getting rich.

Stanley also makes good points about intelligently picking majors & careers.

For your kid going to USNA, money will be the least of her worries. Not because she'll get so much of it-- she won't-- but because she won't have any time to do anything with it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

"The Coffeehouse Investor" has the virtue of being very short. It also has a recipe for apple (?) pie.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
An excellent read. Our daughter owns it, professes to be disgusted by it, and is secretly thrilled to be learning what's important to grownup life.

I also recommend the "Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens", thankfully written mostly from the words & stories of teens instead of those Gardner fools. Another great read highly endorsed by our 13-year-old.

It might be a stretch for a teen, but you have a daughter, right? In that case I'd recommend "Millionaire Women Next Door". It recycles a lot of "The Millionaire Next Door" but with a healthy slug of grrrrl power and the stories of women who are doing it.
I told my daughter to highlight everything she didn't agree with in the book. Which she did. I then told her it was all correct. When she understood that she was wrong she would be an adult. Still waiting.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Thank you all for your inputs. I will order the "The teenager's guide to the real world".

Thank you Nords. for the additional recommendations on the "Motley Fool..." and "The Millionaire..." books. I think I will wait until they graduate from college before suggesting those book. I want them to have a solid understanding of the value of money, but not obsessed with money or with getting rich at this stage of their life.

Sam

I wish I had had this book when I was young. I probably wouldn't have listened to the advice then. Lots of people much older than teens don't understand this much about life. Marshal Brain has a interesting web site. May have a lot of things you are not interested in. But I think he is a great logical explainer.
http://marshallbrain.blogspot.com/
Old 04-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
I told my daughter to highlight everything she didn't agree with in the book. Which she did. I then told her it was all correct. When she understood that she was wrong she would be an adult. Still waiting.
If you just gave her enough money, she wouldn't have to worry about all that "crap." You cheap bas***d. Why would you cause you beloved children all this stress?

My oldest daughter actually went out the front door on her 16th birthday to see her new car. I laughed until I was weak. She still grumbles about her lack of "ammenities" as a teen living at home.

I think everything came together for me when I had a wife and two infants. I lost my job and figured that with unemployment I had enough money for 3 months. That assumed I made no house payments because they wouldn't forclose for 6 months. In many ways, that was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #16

I am still laughing thinking about a 16 year old looking for her new car.
Yea, I am a cheap bastard. Wouldn't give her every thing she wanted with no strings or rules. She moved out with her boyfriend about a year ago. She is learning a few things.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You're probably getting smarter, too, huh.. :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
You're probably getting smarter, too, huh.. :
Not yet. My head is pretty thick.