Book Recommendations (fiction)?

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know we must have some fiction readers in here. I searched for a thread on book suggestions, but all I found was non-fiction topics.

So, I thought I'd ask: What are your recommendations for fiction?

Here's my story, if you're interested (but you don't have to read this for purposes of the thread).

After being a lifelong non-fiction reader, I've tried to return to reading fiction in the past year. I used to read fiction a long time ago -- science fiction, mostly, and then some serious Literature when I was in college -- but it's been so long, I'm out of the loop. So I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

Here is some of what I've tried:

I tried serious Leet-erature, but it didn't take. It felt like it was written to please English majors and literary critics. (I'm not insulting English majors. I used to be one. But that was 25 years ago.)

I am looking for middle brow" stuff -- well-written but entertaining. I like good characters (those with some depth and uniqueness to them). I like books that move me emotionally.

I tried poetry, but that didn't go anywhere. I don't have a head for poetry. I get annoyed that I have to spend so much energy trying to figure out what they are trying to say. I'm a prosaic sort of fellow.

I tried science fiction, because I liked that when I was a kid. But I found it too scientific (not surprising, eh?). I guess when I was a kid, that stuff produced a "gosh wow" feeling, but now it just bores me.

I tried fantasy, and for a while, I was on a Terry Brooks kick. Really liked Sword of Shannara and the first set of books. My enthusiasm is petering out, because the books are starting to feel pretty familiar now. I have LotR on my shelf but don't feel up to it right now.

Since I like good characterization, I looked up "psychological fiction," but apparently that is mostly detective/crime fiction. That's okay, I've read some good ones. But it's also rather grim, and I don't want to spend too much of my free time reading about detectives and killers. I don't do that sort of work, but it reminds me of my work.

Anyway, just fishing around for good books/authors.

Last edited:
Depending upon your interests, There is the "Tahoe" series by Todd Borg. The stories revolve around Lake Tahoe, and the main characters are a PI, his girlfriend who is a forensic entomologist, and a 170 pound Great Dane named Spot.
I also enjoy technothrillers by Stephen Coonts and Dale Brown.

Have you read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series? You might also try stories by Kazuo Ishiguro. But my favorite recommendation is Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.

The thread below has plenty of fiction (and non-fiction) recommendations.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/what-have-you-read-recently-43066.html

Ah, I missed that one, thank you. I searched for "book recommendations," so I didn't catch that thread title. I knew there had to be some fiction readers on this forum, and I was wondering where the discussion was hiding.

125 pages! Yipes! That'll take me some time to go through...

Thanks for linking it.

Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover is an amazing book.

The Gentleman Bastard series is a good read, by Scott Lynch.

Bad Monkey by Carl Hiassen.

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

Saturn Run by John Sanford.

Just to get you started.

Not a new title, but a recent recommendation from a dear friend. _Lonesome Dove_. Although I may never read another "western", this was so worth reading. I finished it a couple weeks ago--still thinking about the ending.

My favorites are Nelson DeMille and the late Pat Conroy. I think "The Charm School" by Demille is still about my favorite. I heave read all of Pat Conroy's books; all well written, character studies, somewhat biographical, all set in South Carolina. "The Water is Wide" or "Prince of Tides"; both better than the movies though they were also good.

Oh, yes. I second the Pat Conroy recommendation. Enjoyed all his books.

The late Elmore Leonard wrote dozens of smart, street sassy, detective stories and westerns. His movie credits include "Get Shorty", "Jackie Brown" and "Joe Kidd (Clint Eastwood). Many a smile between the covers of the ones I have read.

I also like James Lee Burke. Detective type fare and a couple of modern lawman western types. Very, very little gore.

Lee Child has an interesting ex-Army MP bad ass hero named Jack Reacher. (Couple of movies based on that character, also.) 20 some books in the series.

All 3 of these authors are regularly found at Goodwill and yard sales (Burke and Leonard mostly in HC versions), and the library is full of 'em.

BTW- website literature-map.com, allows you to plug in an author you like and it will provide names of similar authors.

Still up for fantasy? I recommend Robin Hobb's "Liveship" trilogy. Unusual ideas (especially if you are looking for a different form of conveyance from that elven airship), a fantasy "mystery" that will keep you guessing, and well-developed characters, including a psychotic pirate.

If you like well developed characters you can't beat John Steinbeck.
If you like off best characters, Carl Hiassen will show you the thinking's of the proverbial Florida Man.

I was going to recommend What Have You Read Recently too although it is a bit overwhelming. For someone just tuning in maybe some Google searches on 100 best thrillers, 100 best :confused:, Nebula Award winners etc will give you a few options. For the current batch of mid brow stuff keep an eye on a major newspaper book reviews section (NYT or WP) or follow Goodreads. Then order the ones that catch your eye from the library.

Since you liked non-fiction, and now want to try fiction with in-depth characters: James Michener's books may be perfect. Chesapeake, Centennial, and The Covenant were my favorites.
As Michener described his books, they are "faction," novels based on history. Background is factual, the characters and underlying story line fiction.

"Middle Brow, character driven" and very good describes "The Martian." I read it last weekend after hesitating because of the movie tie-in. Sucked me in quite quickly.

It is Sci-Fi, but more mechanical engineer as Robinson Crusoe.

I've been delving into some of the Classics as well (Free from gutenberg.org): Dumas, Conrad, Twain, Mary Shelley, etc.

Defending Jacob by William Landay. I enjoy reading John Grisham's books about our legal system, and I read an interview with him. He was asked if he had ever read a book that he wished he had written...and his reply was "Defending Jacob". It is a stunner.

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure is also outstanding. Set in Nazi held Paris during WWII, this story is largely about the Vichy French and search for jews in Paris. A hard read at times, but very well written and great story.

Thank you, folks. Appreciate the suggestions. I've written them down, and I'm off to do some research at amazon. I'll check out that monster thread, too.

I don't watch TV or movies anymore, but I like a good story, and I've always loved books.

Ken Follett's triology "Winter of the World ""Fall of the giants " and "Edge of Eternity " . You can not put them down . They tell the sstory of several families starting with World War 1 through modern times .

Back
Top Bottom